Internet Security question: How to protect against "Phishing" ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Internet Security question: How to protect against "Phishing" ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

To all here who are internet security saavy, I have a very important question. I have been reading, and been warned about the dangers of hackers who make "phishing" sites, like fake Amazon.com, Ebay, and other pages that look like the real thing, so you can sign in and they get your passwords and info.

What are some good ways of identifying these and making sure one does not enter password and other personal details into such sites?

Example: Would they always show up as an email requesting your information, or, can they also set up a fake website that looks like the real website, when you log in from a browser? And if this, what to do to make sure you don't fall for it?

Here is one link I found on this topic:

https://safety.yahoo.com/Security/PHISHING-SITE.html
Studey

Re: Internet Security question: How to protect against "Phishing" ?

Post by Studey »

They are nearly always accessed via email link, so don't log in to any page from your email, do it from the browser.

Why don't you do a google search for "avoiding phishing schemes" and learn about this?
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you. Well, I like to communicate directly with people who are aware and knowledgeable about these sorts of things, as well as learning from website tutorials. Thank you.
hendersonrobert

Post by hendersonrobert »

If a website you wat to login is pretty well known, like amazon or spyderco, you can google it's name. If you entered the name correctly, the first link that google show you would be a valid official website.
Try to avoid clicking on links that been sent to you. Before clicking on a link check where it leads by hovering mouse over it and reading a website's URL.
It's pretty obvious measures though, i'm feeling like the captain obvious now :)
hendersonrobert

Post by hendersonrobert »

You can also install a browser extension that warns you if you are visiting a suspicious website. Antivirus software which i'm currently using includes such extension.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you Henderson Robert, that is very helpful.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One thing to do is avoid sites like this:
Card Check.jpg
[/align]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Don't ever click on anything from an unverified source, be it email, instant message, or a website. If you don't know who the link is from, try to verify it before you open it. Also, never give out personally identifiable information unless you know exactly to whom and why you are giving it (like setting up a bank account, government-registered services, required employment forms, background checks, credit reports, etc. *none* of which will solicit this information randomly).

There are examples like what Paul posted all over the internet - to quote Robert DeNiro's character in Ronin "if there's any doubt, there's no doubt".