If you could only choose one... (opinion on handgun carry)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Axlis

If you could only choose one... (opinion on handgun carry)

Post by Axlis »

Let's say you had the choice (only choose one) between carrying a 5 shot snubnose (.38 special) revolver with one speedloader, or, a subcompact semiauto .32 that holds 7+1 and an extra magazine of 7; which would you choose, and why? I'm weighing whether it would better to have more shots of the lesser caliber, or lesser shots of the higher caliber. The revolver would be +p hollow point, and, the .32 would be fmj.
remnar

Re: If you could only choose one... (opinion on handgun carry)

Post by remnar »

It might depend on the actual pistols, but I do often carry a five shot .38 and haven't even considered buying a .32 for self defense. I don't know if I would be comfortable carrying the lower powered .32 round, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't carry it. Picking a gun that you can shoot well is probably more important than choosing one based only on caliber.
The Deacon

Already made my choice.

Post by The Deacon »

I'll take a S&W J-frame .38 Spl every time. It's what I carry every day. And, FWIW, I don't carry a speed loader. I can consistently put all five rounds on a playing card at 3 yards and on an sheet of typing paper at 9 yards without using the sights. Figure if I can't stop them with 5 it's probably because I'm already down and if they're more than 9 yards away they're either a sniper with a rifle, and I'd be SOL no matter how much ammo I had, or they're not a significant threat. And, on the off chance neither of those things are true, I can always aim instead of just pointing. I only have myself and my dog to protect and I'm not going to play hero unless one or both of us is in danger.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A 38, especially the S&W Body Guard with polymer frame is a great option. I would not get a .32 unless I had some physical limitations that required that. A .380 can be had just as small and light weight. I used to carry a Kel-Tec .380 in my pocket at work and a .38 in my jeans when not. These are two effective rounds with the right ammunition and shot placement.

A .38 makes a better outdoor gun, too. You can load the first round with snake shot and the rest heavy hitters like a 158 gr. LHP +P.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd go with the revolver, but mostly because of the other option. There are a slew of others I would carry before either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Of those two, I'd go with the .38 revolver, simply because I consider .32 auto too light for serious work. I'd pack my Charter Bulldog .44 before either, and my actual carry is a Glock 20 with 18 rounds of Winchester Silvertip before I have to reload.
Skaaphaas

Re: Evil D

Post by Skaaphaas »

Evil D wrote:I'd go with the revolver, but mostly because of the other option. There are a slew of others I would carry before either.
Agreed.

As far as I understand the dynamics of a typical attack that justifies using a firearm in the US still makes a revolver a viable option.

If that is the case I'd take the revo due to its calibre advantage. Revos then always have the advantage that they can be fired from a coat pocket when things get really close.

Over here in South Africa the revolver is a sub-optimal choice, as you are invariably going to face multiple attackers, usually 4 - 5. If they don't run at the first shot, 5 rounds is going to be a problem.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Police response time where I am, is in the dozens of minutes. That's why I carry a high capacity pistol with an extra mag. It might help to keep the zombies away until the cavalry comes.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I'd pick whichever one I found I shot better with....Like ol' Jeff Cooper said: Missing with a .44 is not better than hitting with a .22
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Doc Dan wrote: A .380 can be had just as small and light weight.
Agree and there are better ammo choices available in .380 than there are in .32ACP.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Why a .32? Are we talking inherited handguns here?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

wrdwrght wrote:Why a .32? Are we talking inherited handguns here?
The .32 was a gift, a Kel-Tec p32.

I actually carry both the snub (vintage .38 Charter Arms Undercover model that my Dad left to me) and the Kel-Tec at the same time currently, but I was just wondering if I were contrained to having only one of these options, would my fellow forumites place more importance on more rounds of a mouse caliber, or, less of the more effective .38; that being said, I definitely would not desire to be shot even once with a .32 :)

Thanks for sharing your opinions and ideas, the concealed carry game is new to me, so, I'm always happy to take advice from the more experienced.

Now, I have to decide on a glock 19, or a glock 26... ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Axlis wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:Why a .32? Are we talking inherited handguns here?
The .32 was a gift, a Kel-Tec p32.

I actually carry both the snub (vintage .38 Charter Arms Undercover model that my Dad left to me) and the Kel-Tec at the same time currently, but I was just wondering if I were contrained to having only one of these options, would my fellow forumites place more importance on more rounds of a mouse caliber, or, less of the more effective .38; that being said, I definitely would not desire to be shot even once with a .32 :)

Thanks for sharing your opinions and ideas, the concealed carry game is new to me, so, I'm always happy to take advice from the more experienced.

Now, I have to decide on a glock 19, or a glock 26... ;)
You had me wondering.

Of the two, I'd also lean to the Snubbie.

And while I'd not enjoy being hit by even a .22 Short, can you count on your KelTec to put out your .32 every time.

Since you mention them, even Glocks can fail, of course, but that is certainly not their reputation, as it is KelTec's. Neither my 19, 26, nor 43 has given me even a hint of a problem.

I'd advocate the 43 over the Snubbie (or KelTec), FWIW. Folks certainly carry the 26 and 19 concealed, but they are bulkier.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Between the two handguns you've mentioned, I personally would go with the .38 revolver... I consider revolvers as being more safe and reliable. Also, if you're using +P hollow-point rounds for self defense, you can use standard .38 ball ammunition for practice.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sorry would not choose either... I'd go with the revolver but in .357 Magnum Snubnose Ruger comes to mind Sp101....Doc:)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I wouldn't want to get hit with a paintball but that doesn't mean that it's a good SD option...just sayin'
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The revolver, if needed and forced, would make a splendid bludgeon. Also, if needed to be passed to another ally for some reason the revolver is a better option. I carry a J frame but honestly feel undergunned often and am limited by my work dress being business casual and my mode of concealment during work is pocket carry. Nothing conceals and withdraws as well as a Jframe in my testing. I have not tried the single stack Glocks but will. I have a Sig 232 that I would like to sell but every time I try to trade it, I get my feelings hurt. Meaning being offered $200 for a $500 gun. I
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have a 43 and a 19 but I highly favor the 19. It is a bit more difficult to conceal but worth the effort to me when you have twice the capacity and (for me) a much easier weapon to fire and be consistent with. That's not to say I can't shoot the 43, it's just a teeny bit snappy vs the 19. I guess you could say I just enjoy shooting the 19 more and that makes ALL the difference in a CCW choice. If you can sit at the range and throw down 300+ rounds without fatigue or being irritated by what you're shooting, that's the kind of positive practice that will count when you need it the most. If you're struggling to get a good grip or control muzzle flip etc, or you're dealing with jams and such, it just isn't the right choice for you.

As an honorable mention, I also have a Shield and I absolutely love that little gun and I will shoot it all day everyday and it never gets old. I really wish they'd make a gun that closer competes with the 19 in size and capacity that feels as good as the Shield does.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The 19 is a great handgun. The 26 is a bit easier to conceal and you can get a grip/finger extender for the magazines, some of which give you two extra rounds. I recommend XS Sights Big Dot Tritium sights. They are very fast. They are very easy to see and to see fast.

As for the Kel-Tec, the originals had some reliability issues but they quickly fixed that problem. It is no accident Ruger copied the pistol. Because the gun is so light you have to really mind your technique and hold the gun firmly. If you do this, it will cycle 100%. I would get some top notch ammunition for it, such as Buffalo Bore or Corbon. It will be nearly as effective as a .380. Make certain to test the little pistol with at least 200 rounds of ammunition that you intend to carry for defense before relying on it. Some pistols may not like a certain brand, but shoot all others well. If, in 200 rounds, it works flawlessly, then you are good to go with that ammunition.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

It probably speaks of my smaller hands but I don't find a problem with shooting the 26. I regularly shoot COF with it just to get gun handling and familiarity down. For precision shooting, I can shoot it almost as well as I can my g19. Times during the COF's are of course slower because of reloading. I do also practice doing the reloads with my g17 mag with the +2 that I carry as a spare.