Sharpening Odd Things

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MountainManJim

Sharpening Odd Things

Post by MountainManJim »

And, now for something completely different, I sharpened a cheese shredder. The stamped steel implement never really did a good job of shredding stuff. Now, works like a champ!!

What's the strangest thing you have sharpened?

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
ArmaliteKnight

Re: Sharpening Odd Things

Post by ArmaliteKnight »

Lol, good thread choice!
I've sharpened my Stilleto Titanium Claw bar.
At $80 for the tool, I couldn't resist making it more wicked.
Here's a google image, mine is decked out in orange reflective paracord.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
Spydies I own:
Domino Blue CF
K2 Farid Mehr Bowie
Delica 4 FRN w/Emerson wave
PM2 in digicam
Spyderfly balisong
Harpy SS
Matriarch2 FRN w/Emerson wave
GOD BLESS JOHN NOVESKE R.I.P
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I sharpen everything and anything with an edge, thought I've never sharpened a cheese shredder! :cool:

I'm better than average at sharpening knives but I'm a bit how yah going with chisels and plane irons. :o

I do however excel at sharpening sticks! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Bloke wrote:I sharpen everything and anything with an edge, thought I've never sharpened a cheese shredder! :cool:

I'm better than average at sharpening knives but I'm a bit how yah going with chisels and plane irons. :o

I do however excel at sharpening sticks! :)
plus one on the sharpened sticks.....I like to sharpen wooden chopsticks in a pencil sharpener then I throw them at everything.......Doc:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've sharpened finger nail clippers before.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Ditto to the chisels, nail clippers and sticks ;)
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Oh and ditto to the crow bar. They are awesome when sharp. Though to not have any fancy Ti types. Just your Home Depot variety.
I Like Sharp Things

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:I've sharpened finger nail clippers before.
+1 I sharpened my GF's clippers recently. She told me they didn't cut very well and asked if I could sharpen 'em. Yep! Which reminds me, I never did tell her I did it. I wonder if she noticed they were way better than they were.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sharp Guy wrote:
+1 I sharpened my GF's clippers recently. She told me they didn't cut very well and asked if I could sharpen 'em. Yep! Which reminds me, I never did tell her I did it. I wonder if she noticed they were way better than they were.

It's actually one of the trickier things I've sharpened, because the opposing edges need to line up just right. I've found the best way to do it is just with a Dremel and a buffing wheel and some course diamond paste. You basically just strop the heck out of the edges to get them sharper, as opposed to trying to remove metal which can ruin the edge alignment.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I've sharpened a guillotine cutter for making picture frames. I recently did a re-grind on some tweezers too, does that count?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I too recently did a paper cutter for work, turned out good. I don't think I have done tweezers, but why not. I sharpen screwdrivers and wire cutters all the time.

In regards to the nail cutters, I believe it was in the Sharp Maker instructions that to sharpen them you work outside surface with the cutters closed. That keeps the alignment.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

awa54

Post by awa54 »

MountainManJim wrote:I too recently did a paper cutter for work, turned out good. I don't think I have done tweezers, but why not. I sharpen screwdrivers and wire cutters all the time.

In regards to the nail cutters, I believe it was in the Sharp Maker instructions that to sharpen them you work outside surface with the cutters closed. That keeps the alignment.

Jim
What kind of paper cutter? a hydraulic for commercial cutting or a grid-board and lever arm/scissor type? The machine I did had two heavy single bevel blades that chop down in a "v" to create the inner angles on the wood frame material, it's foot powered, as the force to cut hardwood is pretty large.
The biggest PITA was lapping the back side of the blades, it took forever!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
plus one on the sharpened sticks.....I like to sharpen wooden chopsticks in a pencil sharpener then I throw them at everything.......Doc:)
G'day Doc,

I just sharpen them! I never thought to throw them!

You're an Ideas Man! ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Bloke wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:
G'day Doc,

I just sharpen them! I never thought to throw them!

You're an Ideas Man! ;)
Good On YOU!... Throwing sharpened chopsticks is a lot of fun....You can make a simple target of a cardboard box, a piece of fruit, Styrofoam works well, you will be amazed at what a sharpened stick of wood will penetrate given the right amount of force. I find the best way to throw them is to let it lie flat in an open palm, covered lightly by your same hand thumb until released, throw like you would a tomahawk or axe...and you are good to go! Want to have some real fun??? Try this....I like to take a bundle of chopsticks (20 to be exact)and throw them all at the same time at a given target.....My teacher could stick all twenty...I can only do 15 consistently. I once did 18....but it was only one time :o Doc:)
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Sharpening was a service I offered in the gunshop, folks brought me all sorts of stuff....saws, cutters from mills and lathes, reel-type push mowers, knives, paper cutters from the local school system, a 36in. sawmill blade, roto-tiller tines, chisels, axes, straight razors, and about everything else you can think of. Brought in some good money and lots of walk-in business.

Still do it for old customers rather frequently, really surprises me that nobody locally tried to pick up the business after I retired.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've sharpened the points of my darts to remove the tiny metal hooks, nicks, and burrs that form when the tips strike against the wires of the dartboard, or when the darts bounce off the board and/or scoring wires and strike a hard surface, such as the concrete underneath the carpeting. Keeping the points of your darts sharp is important to prevent bounce outs from the dartboard as well as prevent damage to the fibers of the dartboard, especially the fibers of a bristle dartboard.

How sharp you get the points of your darts is important... not sharp enough and you get bounce outs as the dart strikes a hard portion of the dartboard... too sharp and the tips of the dart points can dig into the scoring wires and bounce off versus slide over into a scoring area, and/or the tips can become more easily damaged, thus requiring additional sharpening to fix it.

I use an simple emery board to maintain the points of my darts as needed. If the damage to the tips of the dart points is more severe, the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker can be used to address that.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
remnar

Post by remnar »

awa54 wrote:I've sharpened a guillotine cutter for making picture frames. I recently did a re-grind on some tweezers too, does that count?
I've done the tweezers but never thought about doing the nail clippers, but now I will. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

It's actually one of the trickier things I've sharpened, because the opposing edges need to line up just right. I've found the best way to do it is just with a Dremel and a buffing wheel and some course diamond paste. You basically just strop the heck out of the edges to get them sharper, as opposed to trying to remove metal which can ruin the edge alignment.
I did my GF's clippers using the Sharpmaker as Sal shows in the SM video. It definitely worked because they cut way better than before I sharpened them. I didn't even think to get out a Dremel. I have a high-end dental lab handpiece (expensive Dremel) sitting on my work bench begging for me to use it. Oh well, I learned how to use the SM to sharpen something different. I really didn't take very long either.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Probably the oddest/hardest thing I've sharpened is our pizza cutter, that thing was a real pain in the butt, it does cut better now though ;)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

farnorthdan wrote:Probably the oddest/hardest thing I've sharpened is our pizza cutter, that thing was a real pain in the butt, it does cut better now though ;)
I wanted to sharpen ours yesterday, but figured my wife will just roll the edge again the next time she uses it.