Sharpening Odd Things

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MountainManJim

Re: Sharpening Odd Things

Post by MountainManJim »

Love the ideas from you guys.

David, I only had to do the office, manual, long arm, scissors type paper cutter. Wasn't too hard because fortunately it was a really mild steel.

I don't have darts, but that got me thinking about needles. I recommend sharping them. They are surprisingly dull.

I too have thought about the pizza slice, it looks like a pita. We have opted to use scissors on our pizza lately. I assume everyone sharpens their scissors ;)

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MountainManJim wrote:And, now for something completely different, I sharpened a cheese shredder. The stamped steel implement never really did a good job of shredding stuff. Now, works like a champ!!

What's the strangest thing you have sharpened?

Jim
Thanks for the idea...I have a flat grater that I use for cheeses and also for vegetables when I make slaw, never worked great but this morning I took a half-round swiss file to the inside and cleaned the edges then took it to my buffer and after three passes it now grates anything with almost no resistance.

Thanks again.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

farnorthdan wrote:Probably the oddest/hardest thing I've sharpened is our pizza cutter, that thing was a real pain in the butt, it does cut better now though ;)
I sharpened mine once -- afterwards, it cut through both the pizza and the box. :eek:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

For pizza surgery, I prefer something like a chef's knife that I rock back and forth.
Then you can slide it under the slices like a cake server to serve the slices.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Wait!....you people cut up your pizza ??
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I sharpen my La-Z-Boy.

Well, I use a file to dress or sharpen the end of the pawl that engages the pawl rack, the notched teeth that hold the recliner in position. Over time, the chisel end of the pawl wears down and slips over the ratchet teeth. The new pawls have hardened steel clips on the engagement end, but after installing a new pawl, the tab securing the clip to the pawl broke off of mine.

In desperation, I decided to try reshaping the end of the pawl with a file. It works for quite a while before needing "sharpening" again. The pawl rack also wears down with use. ( I recline a lot. ) Eventually, I will probably have to get another new set. Fortunately, La-Z-Boy has a lifetime guarantee.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a most interesting thread. I've sharpened a wide array of edged tools over the years and I owe it mainly to two great publications that I've used to learn about sharpening tools of all types. One is entitled "The Razor Edge Book Of Sharpening" by John Juranitch which covers knives, axes, adzes, chisels and other edged tools. The other book I like on the subject is entitled "The Complete Book Of Sharpening" by Leonard Lee.

As far as I know both books are still in print and both are easy to understand. If any of you know of any books that are also informative about sharpening edged tools of all types I wish you all would list them.

I sure wish that at some point Spyderco would put out their own book on Sharpening with a comprehensive guide on using their great sharpening tools.

I would have kept my old "Spydersaw" that I used to have if I could have figured out a way to properly sharpen it.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I also sharpened my pizza cutter. Was going through my utensil drawer and found three??? potato peelers. :eek: Sharpened 2 of the 3 and threw one out as it didn't lend itself to sharpening. My wife actually commented on how much better they worked.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have sharpened a can opener, scissors, mower blades, a gasket scraper, nail clippers, food processor and blender blades and darts.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hardest thing I ever sharpened was a pair of cheap garden shears. My results were inconsistent. Sometimes I succeeded and sometimes it got worse. Seemed to have a lot to do with the tightness of the pivot too.