I got stones

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

I got stones

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

What do you think....should I replace them? or do you think I can get another 30 years out of em.....Just asking.....Doc:)

Image....Doc:)
PayneTrain

Re: I got stones

Post by PayneTrain »

I still see plenty of brown!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Lol. And here I was getting ready to offer you some well-deserved empathy for having [gall] stones. ;)

Hey, my original SM stones are a bit flat, but not THAT flat. Geez, Doc! :p I'd say you're about due for some new stones.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd check to make sure the corners are still in a straight line and haven't worn in a bow/curve shape. If they have then that's going to effect the angle that you're sharpening at, which would be reason enough to replace them if they were mine.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Evil D wrote:I'd check to make sure the corners are still in a straight line and haven't worn in a bow/curve shape. If they have then that's going to effect the angle that you're sharpening at, which would be reason enough to replace them if they were mine.
No doubt.....the corners on these stones are sooo bowed....all they missing are the arrows...lol....must have 2mm-3mm bow on those corners cept for the very end tips. I plan on replacing them this week, I have only been using the sharpmaker with white stones for touch ups and serrated knives the rest I do free hand....so no big whoop......and I will miss these stones....but I think it time for these stones to go to spyderco heaven..... :( Doc :(
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ssifu,

Mine look like that too, old friend - looks like I need to pop for a set of replacements also!

----------
Hannibal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have a new set of stones already in the mail to me....yay... New stones!!! Doc:)
Ps Hannibal....nice to see you old friend:);)
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ssifu,
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ps Hannibal....nice to see you old friend:);)
I have been hanging around here more often than not of late, my friend. Very much enjoying the forum - not quite like old times, but close enough - we'll see how things progress... ;)

-----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc!! You've even had your Tri Angle Sharpmaker longer than I have :D I got my very first one ( 203 unit) back around 96-97 and then in two years or so I got one of the very first 204 Sharpmaker units when they were first released and I believe that was either 98 or 99>> because I know it was before 2000 when I got my first copy of "The Spyderco Story book written by Kenneth Delavigne put out by Palladin Press during that time period.

By the way Doc have you got any of those CBN stones they made available for the 204 Sharpmaker yet? I'm about to pull the trigger on those but something in my gut tells me that they might be about to release the new "GAUNTLET" sharpening kit>> and I definitely want to get one of those when they hit the market. I heard they even had a prototype at the BLADE Show this summer.

Well Dude I didn't think there were many here at Spyderville that had their Sharpmaker units longer than I had so no doubt you must have at least 300,000 miles or better on those Brown SM stones :D Hope you changed oil in them often :rolleyes: :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Lol JD! I have been using synthetic oil....Doc;)