Skinning a GAR: What a Nigtmare!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Re: Skinning a GAR: What a Nigtmare!!

Post by JD Spydo »

That's extremely interesting that you mention the fact that "bull sharks" are documented to wonder miles up fresh water streams. When I was living along the Mississippi River a few years back there was a "bull shark" caught in the river a few miles north of St. Louis, Missouri. What really gave me the creeps was the fact that I has swimmed that river and it's tributaries on many occasions>> since I heard that news I will no longer do it.

Also on one of Jeremy Wade's "RIVER MONSTER" shows on the Animal Planet channel he proved that Bull Sharks were documented to go well over 200 miles into the "Fitzroy" river in Australia>> as well as "Sawfish" and two other species of sharks>> not to mention the Salt Water Crocidiles :eek: . If I'm ever lucky enough to visit Australia I serious doubt if I would ever swim in any of their rivers or lakes :eek:

It also makes me wonder how sharks and GAR would interact with each other. I would imagine they would leave each other alone as a matter of professional courtesy :D Kind of like Lawyers in our legal system :rolleyes:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It also makes me wonder how sharks and GAR would interact with each other. I would imagine they would leave each other alone as a matter of professional courtesy :D Kind of like Lawyers in our legal system
:)

Gars actually float around doing the dog paddle a few feet below the surface waiting in ambush for swimming or floatey things to get near their mouth. Then "woosh". The teeth just serve to pin the prey, control it, then position it for gulping in a snake like fashion. No tearing off chunks as in the sharks. Bull sharks are much more active too. Faster as well. They creep me out a lot more than even a 9-10 foot Gar. Those will just watch you swim by.

I think people use arrows and line more than rods in taking Gar.

I've heard about Bull sharks up as far as the ohio or missouri river though I've never seen one.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... or_gar.jpg

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My father and other old timers used to tell stories of Alligator Gar that got far larger than those we find today. They used to be killed off and over fished. You can sometimes see some of those large Gar in old photos. Attacks on humans are rare, but have happened.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:My father and other old timers used to tell stories of Alligator Gar that got far larger than those we find today. They used to be killed off and over fished. You can sometimes see some of those large Gar in old photos. Attacks on humans are rare, but have happened.
If those "bad-boys" ( GAR) you just mentioned are bigger that what Jeremy Wade had on his show on "Animal Planet" channel then I know I'm not about to go swimming in any Texas River. Those Alligator GAR that Jeremy Wade displayed on his show were huge and frightening to say the least.

If those GAR are kin to Alligators and Sharks then I know I don't trust them at all. Call me a chicken if you like but I just call it common sense ;)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Those pics are some SERIOUS gars. wooooo hoooooooo :eek: I occasionally catch gars up to 4 or 5 lbs in the lakes where I speck fish. I guess there are larger ones out there, but using the small baits for specks probably gives smaller gars. They are definitely a tough fish. I've always considered them "trash fish" and haven't tried eating them. Maybe I'll keep a small one to fillet and cook. My ole pupper will enjoy it for sure. Went shrimping in Daytona last week, did pretty good. Ended up with around 15 lbs headed. Had some boiled swimps today. They were great.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The shrimp sounds nice. Do you ever catch sharks or see them in the water? I hear they follow shrimp and other fishing boats.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tdog wrote:Those pics are some SERIOUS gars. wooooo hoooooooo :eek: I occasionally catch gars up to 4 or 5 lbs in the lakes where I speck fish. I guess there are larger ones out there, but using the small baits for specks probably gives smaller gars. They are definitely a tough fish. I've always considered them "trash fish" and haven't tried eating them. Maybe I'll keep a small one to fillet and cook. My ole pupper will enjoy it for sure. Went shrimping in Daytona last week, did pretty good. Ended up with around 15 lbs headed. Had some boiled swimps today. They were great.
You do better than me "Tdog" because I just don't catch that many GAR on rod & reel :( I don't know why either because there are usually plenty of GAR where I go to fish at. But I sure always caught a lot of them on trotlines and limblines.

Truly I've wondered if they didn't have some reptile genes in them??? Because they just don't seem to have the characteristics of most fish :confused: . Again I've never encountered any animal with the scales, hide and skin that GAR have :eek: . I'm surprised that there isn't more research done in that area because it is some of nature's toughest.

I'm wondering if you could even snag them like we do "Spoonbill fish" here in Missouri ( paddlefish)?? Because I seriously doubt if even a sharp fishhook can penetrate their armour :eek: