Allergy Shots

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sully

Allergy Shots

Post by Sully »

Anyone else getting allergy shots? Or have in the past? I recently committed to the process, finally. I get: Cats, dogs, horse, pollen, molds, trees, grass, dust mites....ugh. Many people swear by the shots, call them "life changing." OTOH, met someone recently who said they did not help at all after years of dutifully getting injections.

Wondering what others' experience has been? Work for you? How long before any relief kicked in?

Also taking Allegra (switching to Zyrtec), Nasonex, and Paseo eye drops. Tis the season. :(

Thanks for the help.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
SpyderNut

Re: Allergy Shots

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey Sully,

I've felt your pain. :( Seasonal allergies are a royal pain in the rear. The only allergy-type shots I've had to get were for poison ivy/poison oak. (That stuff is practically lethal to my body for some reason). Anyway, back to allergies. I've tried Zyrtec, Claritin D, and Sudafed, along with Nasonex and a type of steroid nasal spray (the name escapes me) that my MD prescribed. My family MD suggested I try taking the Sudafed, Nasonex and steroid spray for a while and see how it worked. I used this regimen for quite a while one spring/summer and it worked reasonably well. I also purchased a basic humidifier and ran distilled water through it at night while I slept. Another helpful tip is to use a few extra pillows to elevate your head/neck/shoulders 45 degrees while in bed. These methods helped me keep my sanity during the worst parts of the allergy season. I hope this is helpful to you as well.

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My brother has been on allergy shots for years and they do not seem to help him much. He has been getting them for prob ten years now. I think only a change of climate would help him. He is allergic to basically everything growing in TX.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

Looking back from year 2116 - allergy shots = alchemy praying. That said, I saw quite a few cases of success when shots applied to early onset of allergy. After 11+yrs of this stuff, I probably will quit doing shots - feel like it is equiv to 'rob Paul to pay Peter'.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I got allergy shots for 2 years straight when I was i want to say..12 and 13?? Anyways..I have never had any allergies since..luck of the draw I guess?
Josh
Sully

Post by Sully »

Wish I agreed to starting the shots ages ago like you, "murphjd." Perhaps "bluntcut" is right about efficacy and early onset, and I do share the skepticism. So far I've been responding to the shots a lot like "Spydergirl's" brother, good to know I'm not alone……actually, I wish I were, because I do wish your brother relief in Texas, "Spydergirl."

Off to stack my pillows up 45degrees, as I will pretty much try anything "Dr. SpyderNut" prescribes. :p Sincere thanks for the helpful tips, Michael.

For sure bumping this thread in 10 years with a solid update. :D
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Like everything, allergy testing and shots have changed and improved over the years. You also need to find a dedicated allergy Doc that keeps up with the science.

Ours is quite good, both myself and the wife have some allergies. They do change over time and my wife went first. I got tired of annual sinus infections, headaches and the misery of allergies so I finally made an appointment to get tested. After testing the Doc said, "No wonder you have been miserable, you have some serious allergies, much more than your wife." That was about three years ago, I am able to sleep much better both our shots are on a maintenance level now every two weeks. They have made a great difference in my ability sleep soundly and no sinus infections yet. I still use a daily nasal steroid spray, now over the counter, and night time Claritin-D when the allergen level are high or I get a dose of our friend's dogs. Since my wife is an RN she administers our shots and we have an epipen just in case.

I'm not a health or vitamin nut, but taking extra 250mg of pantothenic acid every day helps with my allergies.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Pinetreebbs wrote: I'm not a health or vitamin nut, but taking extra 250mg of pantothenic acid every day helps with my allergies.
I'm going to look into that, most likely add it. Thanks, "Pinetreebbs." Also good to know shots had a positive effect for you.
Last edited by Sully on Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sully

Post by Sully »

Double tap. Sorry.