Best Comedies on TV

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Best Comedies on TV

Post by Doc Dan »

In my opinion, most of the "comedies" done in the last decades are simply not funny. It is like some alien computer virus that understands nothing about humor is writing the scripts. However, there have been some very funny shows on TV. Here are a few of my favorites:

The Red Skelton Show
I Love Lucy
Amos and Andy
The Carol Burnett Show
The Addams Family
The Munsters
Home Improvement
Laugh In
Andy Griffith Show
The Tim Conway Show
Third Rock From The Sun
Happy Days
MASH
Night Court
Three Stooges (these guys were the most brilliant social commentators ever)
The Burns and Allen Show

What are some of your favorites that are actually funny?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderNut

Re: Best Comedies on TV

Post by SpyderNut »

I recognize most of those shows and I certainly agree with you, Dan. I grew up watching Don Notts in Gilligan's Island and a few other shows and always thought he was a natural at comedy.

As for today's shows, I'd definitely say The Big Bang Theory is a favorite. There aren't too many others that are overly funny, IMHO.
A lot of today's comedies are somewhat of a turnoff with the over-use of the F-bomb and other choice words. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Watched most of the ones on the list.

Could add, same general time periods.

All in the Family

The Jefferson's

3's Company

I do agree these days the writers have no clue and with bad acting and bad writing they are pretty bad.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

original two and half men
Shameless (this is not for everyone. sometimes it is tottaly discusting, but always fanny)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
remnar

Post by remnar »

Seinfeld and The Office were two of my favorites but there hasn't been very many shows in the last decade or so that I find that funny. The Big Bang Theory is about the only current comedy that I find amusing but I don't think of it as a "must watch" show.
paladin

Post by paladin »

M*A*S*H...until Klinger hang glided around the base <talk about jumping the shark> :rolleyes:
Chappelle's Show...some of his stuff is--- laugh out loud, all by yourself, till tears stream down your face---FUNNY. I've literally laughed at the Rick James / Charlie Murphy skit so hard I got a cramp in my ribcage! :D
The Honeymooners...genius live TV with The Great One in his prime..."BANG! ZOOM! To the moon!" :D
Newhart...deadpan master in his element....remember "Larry, Darryl, & Darryl" suntanning on the Riviera <not the coast of France> but on the hood of the old Buick out back!!!! :D
*The Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson... especially when Don Rickles was a guest-- true must see TV for me! :D

*I wish Gary Shandling had assumed the mantle from Carson...Jay Leno was hilarious as a guest on Letterman, but I didn't like him as much as the full-time Tonight Show host.

And perhaps it's just me getting older, but I found David Letterman seriously UNFUNNY when he changed over to CBS-- maybe it was his writers? :confused: The goofy asides with Paul, inside jokes <apparently only HE got most of the time>, and silly catch phrases really got to be too much for me. IMHO, major-league STUPID and intellectually lazy, even for latenight comedy. Plus Dave got super creepy as he got older...disgraceful. :(
remnar

Post by remnar »

paladin, I forgot about Newhart. That was a good show and Bob Newhart is funny in just about anything that he does. :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I dream of Jeannie and Hogans hero's, a couple of fav's from my youth, I had a serious crush on Barbara Eden :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

paladin wrote: Chappelle's Show...some of his stuff is--- laugh out loud, all by yourself, till tears stream down your face---FUNNY. I've literally laughed at the Rick James / Charlie Murphy skit so hard I got a cramp in my ribcage! :D

And perhaps it's just me getting older, but I found David Letterman seriously UNFUNNY when he changed over to CBS-- maybe it was his writers? :confused: :(
A huge YES to the Chappelle Show!! Now that was a hilarious show! I too loved the Charlie Murphy in True Hollywood Story and Rick James skits. :D

Here's a favorite:

Charlie Murphy: Hey Prince, you got a towel? It’s kinda hot in here.
Prince: Why don’t you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

:D

Edit: Forgot to add -- Agreed on Dave Letterman. Never thought that he was very funny at all. :confused:

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I thought Mama's Family was hilarious. I watched it growing up in syndication. Currently, I would say Veep is the funniest show on TV (HBO).
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
whateverls15

Post by whateverls15 »

https://youtu.be/zVRVA3mun3Q
Studey

Post by Studey »

I am a huge South Park fan. It gets maligned due to being crass, and while it is that, there's a lot of great commentary and parody there. It's a lot more intelligent writing that people give it credit for.

Similarly, Archer is absolutely hilarious. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Actually, I was introduced to this at Hannibel Lecter's place.

For non cartoons, I always loved Red Green.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BEAN!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Of the current comedies, I like Mom, Big Bang Theory and Last Man Standing.

Bill Maier
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

For me it's "The IT Crowd", hands down.
[singing] 0118 999 881 999 119 725-3! [/singing]
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Bobs Burgers, Rick and Morty, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Futurama Had to add a few more. There are more but I'm not sure if anyone else will think they're funny... kinda sacrilege in the humor..
Last edited by Malfeasant on Thu May 26, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
camporama

Post by camporama »

I love most that were mentioned, and my personal favorite now is 30 Rock.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Malfeasant wrote:Bobs Burgers, Rick and Morty, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Futurama Had to add a few more. There are more but I'm not sure if anyone else will think they're funny... kinda sacrilege in the humor..
+1 on Parks and Rec. I laughed harder at that show than any other I've seen.
But my two personal favorites are "I Love Lucy" and "The Andy Griffith Show". Don Knotts is just hilarious all by himself. His reactions, his body movements his voice. Its all great.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

There is a new Eugene Levy show "Schitts Creek" that is on Amazon prime and there is a season 2 coming soon. Not a greatest of all time but best in a while.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Life In Pieces is one of my other favorites.