Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JT

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by JT »

tvenuto wrote:I just view it as a chance to brush up on my poke-fun-at-you-gif depth of knowledge.
If you find or make a gif saying "troll begone, or don't feed the troll", and we'll post that to every comment that certain di**weed is posting, maybe that'll do it? Some newer members or those that don't come here often don't see the fact that someone is being a troll.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

JT wrote:This is still going on?? wth....

The question is, WHY oh why the mods or admins don't ban this ****at allready? For what I remember, at least one dude was banned earlier, no, make that two. One was some "steel expert" from russia or something, and other was just annoyance otherwise. oh, and there was a third person, some "lady" that got kicked out after a 5 posts? You remember that lady I guess.

The internet world has millions of forums, and nobody gives a duck if someone gets banned, because usually they deserve it. And this forum has some of the best members ad mods. No bullying etc is allowed.

Member being an total as***ole and being rude etc, that's clear. But if a member posts s*it that looks like legit ideas and comments at first, but if the "pattern reveals" after a while, there's a difference, i know. Still, no need to be too polite. Ban and move on, no harm done to the forum or company image, I'd say. Whats going on here?

Just my humble opinion, but I just can't understand why not ban this person allready? sorry for the rant, but as long as this goes on, I don't even like to come here to visit so much anymore. Trying to read all threads and enjoy the discussion becomes difficult when a troll messes up everything.

And yes, he is a troll. nothing more. Once again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
JT I thank you for your post because you are stating what I have felt about this for awhile now. Some time back I turned in a complaint to the mods about this person and was told they were not going to do anything about him. This is why you don't see much of me around here anymore and why the Forum has lost much of its appeal for me. It's the "one rotten apple spoils the barrel" theory I guess. Sure, I could just ignore the topics he spoils, and I do, but the General Discussion portion is getting flooded with more and more of these topics. I know I'm not important here and don't count for much, but I am sorry to see this happen to a very nice Forum that I once very much enjoyed. End of rant.........
remnar

Post by remnar »

JT wrote:
tvenuto wrote:I just view it as a chance to brush up on my poke-fun-at-you-gif depth of knowledge.
If you find or make a gif saying "troll begone, or don't feed the troll", and we'll post that to every comment that certain di**weed is posting, maybe that'll do it? Some newer members or those that don't come here often don't see the fact that someone is being a troll.
I like this. :D

https://youtu.be/jclPWidTfak
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

El Gato wrote:I know I'm not important here and don't count for much..

That's a load of crap right there.

Whether you're here 6 days, 6 months or 6 years, you come here and contribute to discussion and this hobby, and that's all you need to do. You don't need to know everything about anything to fit in here, just have a passion for the brand and share your enthusiasm. That really doesn't take much. The nature of this forum is such that the members who post often are most likely Spyderco fans, or else why come here in the first place? Because of that, we're generally like minded people and that's a big reason this forum runs so smoothly without needing much policing.

I can tell you this much, I'm about as tolerant a person as you'll ever meet. It takes a LOT to irritate me, especially on the internet where you kinda have to have some thick skin anyway. If I get to a point where I feel like someone has done enough harm that I'd ban them if I had the authority, then that person deserves it in my mind. I don't speak for Spyderco and I'm not a mod here, but I'm on this forum literally every single day, several times a day, and I see just about every post that every person makes. Maybe it's because of my frequency being here that this person stands out so much, but obviously I'm not alone. It has honestly gotten to a point with me that I've invested so much time here and I genuinely care about this forum so much that it's borderline offensive on a personal level when someone comes here with no other purpose than to make an *** of themselves. That's about the time I try to step away from the situation before I start posting things I'll regret, and that's where I'm at with this one.

But anyway, don't ever think you don't matter here. You've contributed far more than this particular knucklehead probably ever will.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JT, El Gato,

I feel the same. More and more good thread gets polluted by this person, and even if ignore button suppress his comments, in my view damage is done.

David/Evil,

I think your observation is correct. It seems that because we all avoid him and posted here, he's being more active now. I see more of his posts.

I take break from stress by visiting here, but the oasis is now has become muddy and less enjoyable. :(
Chris :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JT wrote:
Here you go. Small one...
Larger...
It's funny though, I find this guy more amusing than annoying, while the other arrogant know it all that some folks miss use to drive me up the wall.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Evil D wrote:
El Gato wrote:I know I'm not important here and don't count for much..

That's a load of crap right there.

Whether you're here 6 days, 6 months or 6 years, you come here and contribute to discussion and this hobby, and that's all you need to do. You don't need to know everything about anything to fit in here, just have a passion for the brand and share your enthusiasm. That really doesn't take much. The nature of this forum is such that the members who post often are most likely Spyderco fans, or else why come here in the first place? Because of that, we're generally like minded people and that's a big reason this forum runs so smoothly without needing much policing.

I can tell you this much, I'm about as tolerant a person as you'll ever meet. It takes a LOT to irritate me, especially on the internet where you kinda have to have some thick skin anyway. If I get to a point where I feel like someone has done enough harm that I'd ban them if I had the authority, then that person deserves it in my mind. I don't speak for Spyderco and I'm not a mod here, but I'm on this forum literally every single day, several times a day, and I see just about every post that every person makes. Maybe it's because of my frequency being here that this person stands out so much, but obviously I'm not alone. It has honestly gotten to a point with me that I've invested so much time here and I genuinely care about this forum so much that it's borderline offensive on a personal level when someone comes here with no other purpose than to make an *** of themselves. That's about the time I try to step away from the situation before I start posting things I'll regret, and that's where I'm at with this one.

But anyway, don't ever think you don't matter here. You've contributed far more than this particular knucklehead probably ever will.
Thank you David. I sincerely appreciate that very much. And you are right, this is a great Forum, with many good folks whom I have come to think of as personal friends, which includes you by the way. I guess perhaps because this Forum is normally such a friendly and informative place to hang out a troll tends to stand out more here than on some of the boards where the haters seem to to live.
The guy sure is an annoyance though......
JT

Post by JT »

The Deacon wrote:
Here you go.

It's funny though, I find this guy more amusing than annoying, while the other arrogant know it all that some folks miss use to drive me up the wall.
Thanks Deacon, now I'l have to learn how to inbed then to a post :D

I dislike this dude partly because he is from my neighboring country (or poses as such?), and I'd like all of us "Northeners" to be decent folks, not idiots around here.Weird, I know.
Also, when amusing wears out, it gets annoying. :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

During my time here I saw few trolls, all of them were gone fairy fast. I was surprised that this still here. I found myself in agreement with Paul. Members should stop feeding him.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If everyone will quit commenting on his threads and posts he will go away, like a bad fart when the door is opened. I think everyone should just hit the ignore feature and that way they will not be tempted to feed his need.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

JT wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Here you go.

Thanks Deacon, now I'l have to learn how to inbed then to a post :D

I dislike this dude partly because he is from my neighboring country (or poses as such?), and I'd like all of us "Northeners" to be decent folks, not idiots around here.Weird, I know.
Also, when amusing wears out, it gets annoying. :D
Yeah... amusing only lasts for a while, though he provides "material" for the smartasses among us to snipe at.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JT

Post by JT »

Doc Dan wrote:If everyone will quit commenting on his threads and posts he will go away, like a bad fart when the door is opened. I think everyone should just hit the ignore feature and that way they will not be tempted to feed his need.
The broblem is, many of the newer, or rarely visiting members might take the bait, if they don't know what's going on.
JT

Post by JT »

awa54 wrote:
JT wrote:
Yeah... amusing only lasts for a while, though he provides "material" for the smartasses among us to snipe at.
Yes, guilty right here. Although, I find myself being more aggressive than a smartass.. weird how anonymous and faceless "interntsy thingy" can make someone (like me) mad. IRL,outside of my work (where I have to be the "bad person" sometimes) , I'm more of the easygoing kinda guy :D
harronek

Post by harronek »

The individual in question is on my ignore list , but you guys do realise that even this thread is fuel and food for the troll .

Ignore , means ignore .

I won't be participating in any more feeding .

Ken
JT

Post by JT »

Yes,
or maybe this will be the answer to every post from certain individual here on (Not you Harronek, jus practicing, see, I did, thanks Deacon) :D
Attachments
DoNotFeed.jpg
DoNotFeed.jpg (14.38 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone,
As the primary admin here I feel I need to chime in. We have few rules here and the ones that we do have are fairly simple. Unless and until someone blatantly violates one of those rules we don't ban them. When I first became part of this community (just over 11 years ago) there had only ever been one person who was banned. In my first year, I probably scared a few people with my fairly liberal use of the "ban hammer," but even then it was always justified and always a blatant disregard for our few rules. I know for various reasons, right now there is a certain someone who is getting on a lot of people's nerves. We've had numerous people play that part over the years. Some much more aggressively. Many (if not most) of those people are now long gone - because as soon as indifference to their behavior kicked in they grew bored and moved on.

We have such a diverse community filled with people from all around the world. We all have differences, weaknesses, opinions, and even different senses of humor. We all also have various levels of tolerance for someone or something that is different than most. We also all can fall prey to the traps of perceived anonymity online. That trap often stirs up emotions that would never come to light if we were all sitting in a room face to face.

If you've ever attended a dinner party or an event with a diverse group of people you've probably encountered someone that rubbed you the wrong way. Let me ask you, in that moment, did you then continue verbally sparring with that person or as soon as you felt the urge to roll your eyes did you politely excuse yourself to the other side of the room? Everyone usually stays at the party and has a good time all their own without getting too worked up over those that would otherwise be a source of annoyment.

Of course, we all have had that other experience... maybe at a bar with the loudmouth guy who bellows nonsense or spews vitriol and maybe we get involved, but maybe we don't. Maybe we "meet" those few with indifference and without the limelight they quickly sit down or just leave. And sometimes, indifference isn't enough. Sometimes we all watch as the bouncer leaves his post at the door and "walks" said bellowing guy out the door. (I just took you all back to my days as a bartender in what seems like a past life)

We, Spyderco as a whole and me, Sal, and Mike all have pretty thick skin. So if we are called "stupid" it honestly doesn't bother us. We all have different ways of sharing our ideas. Some are more mainstream than others and some are pretty unique. In the end, though we're all here to share ideas, foster discussion, learn about knives, steel, and hopefully each other along the way. Oh yeah, and there have been a few (albeit not many) of those challenging folks who turned a corner at some point and went on to become valuable contributors to our community.

This is just my two cents and hopefully a little more information on why we do what we do. Tolerance isn't easy and there is certainly a time at which tolerance stops and I (as your virtual "bouncer") will step in and show someone the door. Indifference really is a potent tool. For some it's magic and for others it's poison. Either way, it's certainly easier on one's blood pressure and in this case... one's keyboard.

Thank you all for your contribution to our community. We truly do value each and every one of you. We are watching, and listening. Always.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote:
JT wrote: .... while the other arrogant know it all that some folks miss use to drive me up the wall.
Although I hesitate to invoke the memory of "he who shall not be mentioned" lest he reappear in a acrid cloud of smoke and brimstone... :eek:

Yup, Paul, I feel like it's comparable to someone saying, "I really enjoyed that case of gangrene...wish I could contract it again!"

FWIW, I was never personally convinced he was a "KNOW it all," more like a "I claim to KNOW it all." ;)

And I've never interacted with a more biased "unbiased" bugger.

He just couldn't get over the fact that this is a clubhouse for Spyderco Enthusiasts. SMH :confused:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'm rather concerned by the fact our "friend" may well own guns!
I'm a simpleton myself and can't help but think mental health may well be an issue here. I realise a language barrier may also exist but overall I see a person lacking in social grace that comes across as somewhat incoherent. I think he would dearly like to be a part of what's on offer, but doesn't know how to proceed. I genuinely feel a degree of empathy and I'm not sure he is malicious but it is a fine line. Fair to say I'd like to help him but I can't see anything I can do.

It's a hard one!

I couldn't help myself and looked at his first posts and was somewhat surprised someone didn't pull the plug there and then. I think that just shows how tolerant and patient administration and members are. A very admirable quality!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:I'm rather concerned by the fact our "friend" may well own guns!
I'm a simpleton myself and can't help but think mental health may well be an issue here. I realise a language barrier may also exist but overall I see a person lacking in social grace that comes across as somewhat incoherent. I think he would dearly like to be a part of what's on offer, but doesn't know how to proceed. I genuinely feel a degree of empathy and I'm not sure he is malicious but it is a fine line. Fair to say I'd like to help him but I can't see anything I can do.

It's a hard one!

I couldn't help myself and looked at his first posts and was somewhat surprised someone didn't pull the plug there and then. I think that just shows how tolerant and patient administration and members are. A very admirable quality!
As Kristi mentioned, internet socializing can be very uh, liberating (?) for some people... they feel licence to use their inside voice, or act out their fantasies of being a big shot, or just don't get that others aren't getting their intent. Years back I used to play an MMORPG quite a bit and there was a guy who claimed to be eleven in one of my guilds, this poster reminds me of that person a lot, basically an OK person, but just not good at boundaries or reading people or responding appropriately, in the end the role player kid (unverified, since nobody knew him IRL and this was before good in-game voice chat), wound up being a real asset to the guild and kind of fun to have around, just because of his off the wall style (and in spite of his scat fetish...).

I hope this guy works his way around to finding a niche here, but only time (and the mods) can tell that tale ;) certainly he's already gotten more leeway here than many forums would extend!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Every now and then, this forum experiences something seen by many members, or a few, as negative or disruptive or as spoiling the community here. It always passes, and everybody forgets about it in a few months. Don't stress too much; like everything, this will pass in time. If it bothers you, maybe just don't visit those threads.

As for me, I think that the PM2 thread started by this guy actually was pretty funny to read. :)