Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 am
Ok. Please, what is tl:dr?
too long, didn't read
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mattman

Post by mattman »

MichaelScott wrote:
Too long: didn't read

Edit: Dammit Darby!
bearfacedkiller

I believe it started with the idea that if you are going to make a long post that you would put tl:dr at the top with a summary of your long post. A gift to the attention span challenged of the world.

Now people put it in response to long posts as a jab at long winded people. This is the age of short youtube videos and brief forum posts. A lot of folks surf the forums from their phones so I guess we don't always have time to read a long post? I would rather read a quality post than one that is being forced to be brief and suffers for it. I admire the ability to be concise and it is a skill, one which I struggle with, so I do see both sides. Still, I find it rude. Again, someone's busy schedule or short attention span are not my problem.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Rude ... and pointless.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Too long: didn't read
Lol I was wayyyy too slow
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I too am guilty, well, guilty isn’t quite the word I want, I have a tendency to write long posts especially when the subject may be complex and I have something to say. I want it to be clear without going off the deep end. My view is that if you don’t read a post, regardless of length, and comment on it, you are so far out of the conversation that you might as well be speaking Urdu.

I’ve had the experience of being criticized about something I wrote only to find out that the person so critical had not even read the book. They had erroneous information, gotten second hand from someone who also hadn’t read it, or possibly did not get what I was saying.

It just comes with the territory I suppose.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My question is, if someone did not read it, then why make a comment of any kind? Maybe they are trying to raise their posting numbers?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Never mind.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am
I too am guilty, well, guilty isn’t quite the word I want, I have a tendency to write long posts especially when the subject may be complex and I have something to say. I want it to be clear without going off the deep end. My view is that if you don’t read a post, regardless of length, and comment on it, you are so far out of the conversation that you might as well be speaking Urdu.

I’ve had the experience of being criticized about something I wrote only to find out that the person so critical had not even read the book. They had erroneous information, gotten second hand from someone who also hadn’t read it, or possibly did not get what I was saying.

It just comes with the territory I suppose.
Sorry but tl:dr :D

I'm guilty of being to wordy myself sometimes. Oh well! Don't like it don't read it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think it’s the apitimy of rudeness, particularly if followed by a comment.

You’re essentially saying I don’t care what you have to say but this is what I reckon.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 am
My question is, if someone did not read it, then why make a comment of any kind? Maybe they are trying to raise their posting numbers?
some people get a laugh out of seeing someone's jimmies get rustled by typing 4 letters on their keyboard.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well I updated my list today. Bet you guys won't guess who, lol.
:unicorn
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:

Too Long, Didn't read.

Personally I never read walls of text.

Unless it's broken up into paragraphs and spaced out.

I am not rude however so I don't say anything, I just don't read it.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Walls of text are unnecessary. As is bad grammar and misspellings (the latter especially with spell-checking software).

Offering grammar or word use suggestions is often counter productive and usually results in abuse and accusations of elitism.

Oh, well.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Jim,
I agree about walls of text. I am long winded but I do try to keep it broken into bite sized pieces. If you expect people to read a long post paragraphs are your friend.

Vivi,
I wasn't speaking specifically about the comment in your thread but it was the post that triggered me venting on here. I actually do not see folks using tl:dr on here very often. It is commonplace on the other knife forum where the etiquette is quite a bit different than here.

My issue isn't even so much that it is rude but rather that it stifles communication. Forcing folks to be brief on a forum where we come to learn and discuss is a disservice in my opinion. Sometimes a worthwhile discussion requires a good bit of text.

If a person is not on the forum to learn and discuss and is just there for entertainment then that is fine. Stay out of the heavy threads and stick to the ones filled with pictures, product updates and reviews. I come for both reasons and you can usually tell from a thread title what kind of thread it is and what the OP wants out of it.
-Darby
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:33 am
Jim,
I agree about walls of text. I am long winded but I do try to keep it broken into bite sized pieces. If you expect people to read a long post paragraphs are your friend.

Vivi,
I wasn't speaking specifically about the comment in your thread but it was the post that triggered me venting on here. I actually do not see folks using tl:dr on here very often. It is commonplace on the other knife forum where the etiquette is quite a bit different than here.

My issue isn't even so much that it is rude but rather that it stifles communication. Forcing folks to be brief on a forum where we come to learn and discuss is a disservice in my opinion. Sometimes a worthwhile discussion requires a good bit of text.

If a person is not on the forum to learn and discuss and is just there for entertainment then that is fine. Stay out of the heavy threads and stick to the ones filled with pictures, product updates and reviews. I come for both reasons and you can usually tell from a thread title what kind of thread it is and what the OP wants out of it.
Exactly.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 am
Walls of text are unnecessary. As is bad grammar and misspellings (the latter especially with spell-checking software).

Offering grammar or word use suggestions is often counter productive and usually results in abuse and accusations of elitism.

Oh, well.
Michael, you are the epitome of correctness.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I try because I can be an OCD pedant.

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I try because I can be an OCD pedant.
If we are honest most of us here are to one extent or another. :)

There are worse problems to be had.

Joe
bearfacedkiller

Ha, I am pretty sure that was meant as a jab at our class clown. :D
-Darby