Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
yablanowitz

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't really have anything to add here, but I will say three things.

1) If the Ignore feature blocked thread titles started by the ignored, I'd probably be around more.

2) I'm actually far more polite over the Internet than I am in person (Believe it or not, it's true. I don't have much of a filter between my brain and my mouth, but I do read what I type before clicking Submit.)

3) I get paid to put up with various mental defectives all day, I'm not going to come home and do it some more for free.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

yablanowitz wrote:I don't really have anything to add here, but I will say three things.

1) If the Ignore feature blocked thread titles started by the ignored, I'd probably be around more.

2) I'm actually far more polite over the Internet than I am in person (Believe it or not, it's true. I don't have much of a filter between my brain and my mouth, but I do read what I type before clicking Submit.)

3) I get paid to put up with various mental defectives all day, I'm not going to come home and do it some more for free.
Well said sir. I couldn't agree more and my feelings are the same. I am feeling like it's time for me to take a "vacation" from all of this for a bit.
I hope people like him buy a lot of Spyderco products to make up for the lost support of the folks he drives away from here.
When it's no fun anymore I guess it's time to move on. :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

For all we know a lot of trolls may be nothing more than special projects run by all sorts of strange organizations.

It would be funny if Joe Troll was actually an artificial intelligence experiment out of M.I.T. or Harvard.

Microsoft had a runaway A.I. recently.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35890188
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

shunsui wrote:For all we know a lot of trolls may be nothing more than special projects run by all sorts of strange organizations.

It would be funny if Joe Troll was actually an artificial intelligence experiment out of M.I.T. or Harvard.

Reminds me of the old chat room days where we'd have a member in the chat that was AI and they would just say the funniest stuff. That was actually entertaining. If I KNEW it was AI, it might actually be fun.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Some companies actually hire trolls to cause trouble with competitors. Sometimes it is the actual owner or employees that are the trolls. On a forum you really do not know what or who you are truly dealing with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I can't let the trolls (or any bad guys) win by letting them change my behaviour or choices.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

ChrisinHove wrote:I can't let the trolls (or any bad guys) win by letting them change my behaviour or choices.
+1 there's still plenty of great content outside the threads with trolling issues.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

shunsui wrote:For all we know a lot of trolls may be nothing more than special projects run by all sorts of strange organizations.

Not calling him/her/it a troll but there's a member that's been here for 4 years, and I'm still not 100% convinced is not AI.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:

Not calling him/her/it a troll but there's a member that's been here for 4 years, and I'm still not 100% convinced is not AI.
*hums "Daisy, Daisy" in slowly descending tone*
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
awa54

Post by awa54 »

demoncase wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

*hums "Daisy, Daisy" in slowly descending tone*
That's so 2001
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Ah, a season for everything.....One person on my ignore list and he magically reappears 6 months* to the day with the same "Brave Suggestions" (BS as it's also known ;))

Shame I can still see the thread title and know- just know deep in my bones- the content thereof....in 2mm increments, I'm sure :D

*Funny how 6 months is frequently the period people are sectioned to a secure mental unit. Coincidence.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

demoncase wrote:Ah, a season for everything.....One person on my ignore list and he magically reappears 6 months* to the day with the same "Brave Suggestions" (BS as it's also known ;))

Shame I can still see the thread title and know- just know deep in my bones- the content thereof....in 2mm increments, I'm sure :D

*Funny how 6 months is frequently the period people are sectioned to a secure mental unit. Coincidence.

Hahahaha I thought the same thing when I saw that. I thought we got rid of that troll but he's back...
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was thinking something similar, though less kind, when I saw him return. What makes it worse is that some people, perhaps in ignorance, cannot seem to refrain from encouraging him.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, I got a little carried away with it. I'm done with that clown.
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have to remember to log in, so that the block function works.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Yeah, I got a little carried away with it. I'm done with that clown.
Haha, you got drawn in again. I actually was typing something then decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation. :D
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Doc Dan wrote:I was thinking something similar, though less kind, when I saw him return. What makes it worse is that some people, perhaps in ignorance, cannot seem to refrain from encouraging him.
I think part of it is an inherent 'weakness' expressed as generosity of such a friendly forum- We're willing to help or expand on ideas, no matter how wrong-headed the OP might be....Because we're mostly nice folks (At least that's my experience here!)

In my more-typical-to-form online experience, any 'repeat perpetrator' of perceived trolling and/or stupidity would now have been merciless flamed by successive posters until the mods squashed them with a "banhammer"......Here, we're more forgiving and willing to meet them in the middle.

Sadly- and it is sadly, to see the good spirit of this forum exploited- I believe that anyone responding to the individual in question is fundamentally wasting their time....Especially considering how flat-out rude this person was to Sal and Spyderco 6 months ago.

Personally, I'd ban him 'till he glowed then IP address block him in the dark....But then when I modded an airsoft forum for 5 years I had cause to consider Judge Dredd as a wishy-washy liberal, when it came to enforcing the rules :D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Yeah, I got a little carried away with it. I'm done with that clown.
Haha, you got drawn in again. I actually was typing something then decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation. :D

Man it's like a tornado of stupid I get sucked in every time.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Evil D wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:

Man it's like a tornado of stupid I get sucked in every time.
Never argue with idiots- they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience :D