Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by Bloke »

The Mastiff wrote:
I try because I can be an OCD pedant.
If we are honest most of us here are to one extent or another. :)

There are worse problems to be had.

Joe
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 pm
Ha, I am pretty sure that was meant as a jab at our class clown. :
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmm....do I break up my paragraphs enough? I think I do...maybe not enough. I type fairly fast so it's easy to get out of hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Perhaps if you take a quick look before hitting the submit button and see or believe that some of your paragraphs are kind of long, just read through them and if there is more than one major thought there then break it up into those thoughts.

Sometimes you just can’t help but write a long paragraph. It’s not a bad thing. What is a bad thing is where people don’t bother to read what you have to say and then launch into various comments and criticisms.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Ha, I am pretty sure that was meant as a jab at our class clown. :D
Who, me? :D It shows I’m paying attention, but I also agree with Michael, because effective communication requires effort from both the writer and the reader.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Ha, I am pretty sure that was meant as a jab at our class clown. :D
Who, me? :D It shows I’m paying attention, but I also agree with Michael, because effective communication requires effort from both the writer and the reader.
True. Written communication is fraught with potential misunderstandings. No voice inflection or body cues. It’s important to try hard to get your meanings and intent across and decent grammar, spelling and word use are important.

I initially learned this while working with IBM. My small group had frequent communication with executive level customer and IBM management. Executives are generally not good at dealing with lengthy and complex subjects. They are masters at “tl:dr”. This is a problem. I learned from a wise man the “three strikes” rule.

Send an email. Get a reply that is either off topic or not understable. Strike one. Send a clear and pointed follow up email. Strike two. Get another off topic or poorly written reply. Strike three. Penalty? Face to face or telephone meeting. No more written attempts.

That’s not feasible here, so I strive to be clear and correct. That’s why I can be an OCD pedant.

“Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars,” William Butler Hickok.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Another candidate arises. Why be so rude and confrontational to another Forum member? The only way of dealing with attention seeking is to ignore it, but it’s hard not to react sometimes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Candidates. It has been an interesting weekend on here. It is a holiday weekend here in the states. Maybe there was a little too much drinking and posting going on?

That particular one however was over the top. I could see it brewing for a while now but I didn't think that it would go off the rails quite like that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Either the overall tone of this forum is a little off lately or I just need a break. Lots of folks are rubbing me the wrong way lately and it is usually pretty hard to get under my skin.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I feel the same way, Darby.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am
I’m not surprised. Appalling.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Agree. It seems like contention and inconsiderate behaviors have crawled out of their hole lately. I’m guilty of responding and need to back off.

Team Innovation
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:17 am
Now people put it in response to long posts as a jab at long winded people. This is the age of short youtube videos and brief forum posts.
True enough.

However, tl;dr has also been put to use as a courtesy whereby a poster puts forward an executive summary of a wall of text and tags that summary with a tl;dr (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TL;DR).
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Wrdwrght, seems your link is broken.

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:45 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:38 am
I’m not surprised. Appalling.
Same here. It’s kind of sad, really, because I usually come here to escape the stress from work, etc. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

yes, some people are being rather confrontational without reason as of late, causing much distress to the generally relaxed atmosphere we have here :confused: :(
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:57 am
Wrdwrght, seems your link is broken.
Thanks, Michael. Fixed with a different link.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Too lazy:didn't read

I like that better. ;)
-Darby
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

And another one bites the dust.
Josh
bearfacedkiller

Trolling is attention seeking behavior. The ignore feature is your friend. We have an influx of narcissists here lately and if they are ignored they will likely leave. If that isn’t your style then you can always kill them with humor or kindness. Both options can work well. As long as they are not getting the response they seek then they will stop or move on.

I have been participating here much less lately. It is partly the trolls and partly the folks who keep feeding them. It is also partly the intensifying of the fanboying. I assume it is caused in part by a polarizing effect that is a result of the trolling. The more one side digs it’s heels in then the more the other side feels the need to do so as well.

I wish the forum could return to respectful but spirited conversations that we could all actually gain something from. That includes being critical of the brand as long as the goal is genuinely to be productive. That said, I am going to go back to my seat in the corner and mostly just watch the shenanigans for now. ;)
-Darby
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:18 am
I have been participating here much less lately.
You're one of the more levelheaded members here. Your lack of participation hasn't gone unnoticed. You're surely missed!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!