Copper handled kitchen knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Copper handled kitchen knives?

Post by Blerv »

I was just thinking how cool a set would be even if the handles were essentially round tubes with blades epoxied or pinned inside. Not only would you get the tarnishing factor but...

In a 2006 study, Keevil and his colleagues placed 10 million cells of E. coli O157, an infamous food-borne bacteria strain, on a copper surface. All the bacteria died in about an hour. More recently, the researchers found a copper surface can kill other strains of E. coli bacteria in about 10 minutes.

http://www.livescience.com/14439-copper ... break.html

I understand machining intricate scales from copper, bronze, or brass isn't like working with titanium, aluminium and steel. However, this is a niche which in my humble opinion could really help reduce cross contamination in the kitchen (ie save lives). Especially in home kitchens where I expect many people wash their hands thoroughly prior to cooking but many do not. People who just moments before fondle their phones looking for pre-cook music. With these knives 10 minutes of chopping up veggies for your salad and your hands have for all intents and purposes been "zapped clean".

What do you think? Anyone finally ready to jump aboard the red metals train? Just think how dang cool a block would be with a bunch of round tarnished handles sticking out :D

Edit: Just dropping this here too. Copper is the John Wick of bacteria and virus killing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicro ... _of_copper
Evil D

Re: Copper handled kitchen knives?

Post by Evil D »

I used to have some pretty nice copper/stainless pans but I could never keep food from sticking in that stainless no matter what I did. Copper handled knives would be pretty sweet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Why not copper (or copper clad) blades, as well, then?

Does copper taint food? My only experience ever was with a zabaglione pan ...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChrisinHove wrote:Why not copper (or copper clad) blades, as well, then?

Does copper taint food? My only experience ever was with a zabaglione pan ...
I'm not sure if cladding would be possible. I understand without a spacer there might be electrolysis. I've had a custom with copper inlays to the blade (CPM-S30V) and there hasn't been any visible corrosion at least.

Drinking water from copper vessels is big in ayurveda medicine. I'm not sure what science there is to back it but the copper does keep water from growing harmful things. Letting the water sit in it for more than a few days and it starts to taste like a mouthful of old pennies tho, lol.

Mainly I was thinking how available copper tube is. Find some lead free stuff with decently thick walls and pin/glue a blade in. Cap off the end and call it a day. It's not as cheap as something you could squirt into a mold but can't be as expensive as shaving micarta.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Blerv, so do you like copper or something? :p
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Problem with copper is that it absorbs sweat and bacteria from your hands. Thus, some say copper smells. Keeping those handles constantly clean is going to be a chore.