Line X Spray makes things nearly Indestructable??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Line X Spray makes things nearly Indestructable??

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Has anyone here heard of this stuff and do you believe the claims?
This spray on rubber like coating called Line X supposedly makes objects it is sprayed onto extremely durable.

http://canadafreepress.com/article/new- ... nbreakable

http://www.wimp.com/line-x-spray-makes- ... breakable/

That is weird but if true amazing.
Watch the video at that wimp.com site and see how they spray it on an egg and drop the egg off a building, it doesn't crack. And, watch the same video where a sumo wrestler tries to step on and crush two plastic cups coated in the stuff..and it holds up his weight.

Any thoughts on how the material does it?

Here is their official website:
http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/about_linex.php

It is said to be a polyurea material and they even spray it on armor and vehicles for defense purposes.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Line X Spray makes things nearly Indestructable??

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It helps the durability of something like a truck box but it certainly isn't indestructible. We have a work truck that's less than a year old and there's already chips out of the Line X coating in the box and on the tailgate. I went with Rhino Liner on my personal truck because they spray it on about 2-3 times as thick as Line X does and it's a little stickier so things don't slide around as much. It doesn't get the same abuse as the work truck though so I can't directly compare durability.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rhino Lining used to have a commercial where they tried to blow up a brick wall with and without their lining on it, and it survived with the lining spray. It's tough stuff but anything that would significantly dent the metal is going to also dent and or chip the lining off. It's best for preventing scratches that can expose the metal underneath and allow rust to form.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Would you recommend using it for indoor household surfaces like tabletops and chairs, and for appliances, like some of the advertisements on it claim it can be used for, or, in practice would that not be a good idea? Obviously, indoors things won't be exposed to much rust like that, though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Removing it is the pain. It's a very durable finish. Like David mentioned it's shock absorption make for very interesting uses.

Really though high end polymers are already being used so this is more just application than recreating the wheel. For vehicles, like old rusty trucks, it can be a great thing tho.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

It would be very expensive to coat everything you have, furniture, etc. Just doing the bed of my truck was $500, and coating my bumper guard was another $250. That also raises another question...what are you putting your furniture through that you'd want to consider something like this? Tabletop would be an absolute no for me because the surface isn't smooth and would make the tabletop a lot harder to keep clean and sanitary.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Think about it..if a coating existed that actually made things as tough as some of these coatings claim, we would be using it on the bottoms of every military vehicle we use to protect our troops from road side bombs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Think about it..if a coating existed that actually made things as tough as some of these coatings claim, we would be using it on the bottoms of every military vehicle we use to protect our troops from road side bombs.
Two thoughts:

* An isolated charge is intense to puncture it
* Or they haven't tried it, or a military equivalent

Given our military buys tanks it doesn't use I would flip a coin.
SpyderEdgeForever

Did you ever hear about the claim made years ago that some guy named Maurice Ward made a plastic called Starlite that was so heat resistant it could withstand nuclear level heat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Ward

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/5 ... world.html

There are some who are skeptical and claim it was not as good as he claimed, and others who believe it was real, and claim that the material went into the "Black Budget World" and that is why we do not see it for sale in the commercial world. I don't know. But the idea is amazing to say the least.

Here is an alleged video of it in demonstration:

https://youtu.be/RxqFyDugqs4

I know we've discussed this before but I'll throw the question out there again: Is it possible that a material or device could be invented, and built, that the military intelligence industrial complex considers to be so powerful and so vital, that they completely and totally absorb it and it is produced and used in secret, and all parties involved in its production (engineers, scientists, lab techs, etc) are so sworn to secrecy, and so afraid of the repercussions if they were to release the actual stuff onto the world market, that it remains that way, for years, decades?
SpyderEdgeForever

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Did you ever hear about the claim made years ago that some guy named Maurice Ward made a plastic called Starlite that was so heat resistant it could withstand nuclear level heat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Ward

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/5 ... world.html

There are some who are skeptical and claim it was not as good as he claimed, and others who believe it was real, and claim that the material went into the "Black Budget World" and that is why we do not see it for sale in the commercial world. I don't know. But the idea is amazing to say the least.

Here is an alleged video of it in demonstration:

https://youtu.be/RxqFyDugqs4

I know we've discussed this before but I'll throw the question out there again: Is it possible that a material or device could be invented, and built, that the military intelligence industrial complex considers to be so powerful and so vital, that they completely and totally absorb it and it is produced and used in secret, and all parties involved in its production (engineers, scientists, lab techs, etc) are so sworn to secrecy, and so afraid of the repercussions if they were to release the actual stuff onto the world market, that it remains that way, for years, decades?
Many years ago I was having a conversation with a man on the internet who claimed to me ( I never was told or shown any absolute proof) that he was an engineer in the black budget world. He told me that he personally had handled metal alloys and materials that could literally slice through the strongest hardened steel alloys as if those steel alloys were butter, and he claimed he had personally seen classified top secret aircraft that could travel thousands of miles per hour which absorbed energy directly from space itself. I asked him "Why doesn't the government release this data to we the people?" He told me that 1 a lot of the regular official government people, including the US Presidents and Parliament people themselves are not told about all that goes on and there is a "government within the governments of the world" that is more powerful than the regular government, and 2 Powerful multi national mega corporations (pharmaceuticals, oil and fossil fuels, mining interests, traditional steel makers, and a host of others) use their money to gain power and work with governments and with the "shadow government" to ban the production of these items to we the people because if they were to release them, all traditional economic systems would be transformed within a few years and we would have a society based on energy and materials abundance, and 3, the fear of abuse. He told me something along the lines of: "Can you imagine what would happen if terrorists like Adolf Hitler and Osama Bin Laden had access to machines that would pull unlimited energy from the vacuum of space? Can you imagine what these evil doers would do if they could ignore all sanctions and actually produce unlimited amounts of anything? It would be great for Joe and Jill Public but it would spell the end of any form of global stability. It would lead to total war." He personally claimed that his reasons for not releasing the knowledge he had to the public (As in actual formulas, schematics and plans and devices) was: 1 He was afraid of the shadow government. He said they would kill him if he were to do that, and they barely tolerated him discussing the matter without giving any proof, so it could all be denied, and 2, He does not want this knowledge to fall into the hands of our enemies.

Now, he could have been a total liar, just making it all up, because I told him I am interested in those sorts of technologies and discussions about them, or, he could have been for real. I don't know. He seemed very intelligent and definitely had a mind for engineering in our discussion. That was also the last time I ever saw him on the internet again, so I don't know what happened.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Sounds like your man on the internet lost his tinfoil hat, or went off his meds.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

StuntZombie wrote:Sounds like your man on the internet lost his tinfoil hat, or went off his meds.

:D

Whilst it probably used to be true that conflict generated the most innovation, now its profit. Anything half decent gets out there to make money.

Also, the vast majority of research is undertaken, repeated, peer reviewed and taken forward in civilian industrial or university laboratories. Anything decent would be reported - or sold - in a flash.

Throughout history and worldwide, governments fail to achieve what they set out to do, except the ridiculously simple. The thought of such secret - and effective- governance is laughable.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've always said, conspiracy theorists have way too much faith in governments if they think they can pull off even half of what they accuse them of.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SpyderEdgeForever

Good point about the conspiracy stuff.

A tech question about spray on materials. What sort of breakthroughs would be needed for us to have some sort of spray-on material that could come in an aerosol can, and you can spray it on say a knife blade, and make the knife physically stronger? Some form of nanotechnology?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I got a question?

What's the best spray on coating I can get in a spray can?

I use automotive under body coating now.

I don't use it on blades but I like to coat tools and stuff to keep them from rusting. It works OK but not great

Minnesota weather is tough on tools it seems I'm always getting them wet or coated in ice.