1095 Carbon Steel: Beautiful, Super.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

1095 Carbon Steel: Beautiful, Super.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I wanted to make this thread in honor of this good carbon steel and those who enjoy it. In a world of very advanced alloys and materials, it has been shown that 1095 carbon steel is a "peak" of steel for knives and cutting tools. Please feel free to share your experiences with knives and edged tools made of 1095 steel. No, it is not stainless. But it is excellent.

One of my favorite lines of knives made with 1095 steel are the Ontario Spec Plus knives as well as the Ontario Cutlery military knives.

They are excellent.

Also, contrary to what some may think, 1095 steel can take a beautiful silvery sheen, a satin shine to it when polished and maintained. I am sure if our ancestors had access to this carbon steel they would be amazed and thankful.
El Gato

Re: 1095 Carbon Steel: Beautiful, Super.

Post by El Gato »

I have enjoyed 1095 in traditional slip joint pocket knives for many years, especially the past 10 years since Great Eastern Cutlery is with us and uses 1095 for the blades of most of their fine knives. But the very best 1095 blade I have ever used was made for me by my good friend and custom bladesmith J. P. Miller of Fairbank, IA. Mr. Miller heat treated the blade of my semi skinner style sheath knife to a point of performance far beyond any 1095 blade I have ever owned before or since. I used to take that one knife with me on fly in camping trips into the Ogokee Frontier wilderness area of Northern Ontario where I would solo primitive camp for two weeks twice each year. The knife did everything from shelter building and fire making to camp cooking and it just kept on working. That really made me a fan of 1095, and it is why I say that when 1095 is heat treated to its full potential it is hard to beat for a blade steel, at least in my experience. I have since owned knives, mostly Spyderco Mule Team releases, with some of the great "super steels" we now have and I enjoy them very much, but that old 1095 semi skinner is still a good choice for working knife that I know I can count on. A lot of knives have come and gone with me as I enjoy trying many different ones, but that 1095 is one I will never part with.

My Spirit Brother, who is Indian and lives in Northern British Columbia depends upon wild game for all of his meat during the year, and so he harvests several deer and moose each season in addition to smaller game. Many of the blades he uses to process this game from kill to freezer are made from 1095 steel. He uses a variety of different hunting knives and folders, because like myself he is a knife junky and loves knives, but a great many of those knives are 1095 blade steel by choice. We both like the way it sharpens and the efficient cutting edges we can get with 1095. There is just something about it that seems to give it an aggressive edge and it is relatively easy to maintain it. We both feel 1095 is still a good choice for a working blade.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My favorite.. Take this steel over any others.. Easy to sharpen and maintain.. No special stone, hones etc!! Get not sharp while using and grab a stone, rock, mug to sharpen... A Delica in this would be sweet at my house!!! Do like VG-10 though!!! :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jmh58 wrote:My favorite.. Take this steel over any others.. Easy to sharpen and maintain.. No special stone, hones etc!! Get not sharp while using and grab a stone, rock, mug to sharpen... A Delica in this would be sweet at my house!!! Do like VG-10 though!!! :D John :)
Super Blue is really like a supercharged 1095. Very clean, high HRC, and with just a touch of elemental goodness thrown in.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

+1 for Super Blue. Another great steel choice. I love my Mule Team in Super Blue.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

El Gato wrote:+1 for Super Blue. Another great steel choice. I love my Mule Team in Super Blue.
With how well it did as a sprint I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it. I'm hoping it and HAP40 make it into a regular production model (even if just one). :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Not a SB fan.. 1095 or 01 for me!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Thomasjoseph

Post by Thomasjoseph »

Even I am also surprised.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Esee and Becker have knives in 1095 that are nearly indestructible and hold a good edge. 1095 can be taken to very high hardness, but then I fear it would be hard to sharpen and would be brittle. However, it would hold an edge for a long time. 1095 has proven itself for so long I am often surprised when people denigrate it. I like it, myself.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bluntcut

Post by bluntcut »

1095 66rc (so as W2, 1084, etc.. at similar hardness) can be quite good given properly ht-ed. Very easy to grind and sharpen, since cementites (iron carbides) are very soft compare to sharpening abrasives (AlO, SiC, ceramic, etc..)

A test blade
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The 1095 custom blade that has treated me so well, (explained in previous post), has to be right up there in the mid 60's Rc from the way it sharpens. Still, I have never had a problem with chipping of any kind and the edge is easy for me to maintain, although I never let it get "dull".
I have often felt that 1095 has a much greater heat treat potential than it is often given.

1095 has given me a lifetime of good service, and still does in the traditional pocketknives I carry everyday.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Its funny that this post came up. I currently am carrying an Esee Izula in my pocket.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

El Gato

Post by El Gato »

z4vdBt wrote:Image
1095 at its best. I love that patina!! ;)

Actually I love the entire knife and I kick myself, especially after seeing your picture here, because I totally missed out on this SFO of #77 Northfield Barlow patterns. I am hoping we will see another SFO run of them at some point, but Chris at GEC tells me there are no #77's planned for this year. Congratulations on yours! That's one beautiful sawcut Barlow. :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That is the way a Barlow is supposed to look. Very nice.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TargaMonteSS

Post by TargaMonteSS »

We dont need no chromium! A little rust in the diet no problem. 1095s great
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a heck of a time sharpening some 1095.

I have no trouble sharpening ESEE's 1095, it works well.

I have a few slipjoints in 1095 and I have a very hard time getting it sharp. I have just moved to only buying slipjoints in a modern steel. I've gone all CPM154 for my slipjoints (that I carry) and I've had no problems.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
v8r

Post by v8r »

I have to admit I prefer carbon steels over stainless these days. I have not tried 1095 yet, but plan to when I get a heat treat oven.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

One more.