Forum down every night!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Liquid Cobra

Forum down every night!!!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've been meaning to ask this question for a year or so but always forget. Am I the only one that has noticed that the forum goes down from 10pm pacific time for about 20 minutes a night?

I usually go to bed around this time and I like to take a quick peek at the forum just before lights out but a lot of the time it's right at 10 and so it goes down. I'll admit I've waited up more than once for it to come back online before going to sleep. I sure do love this forum. Oh man, I'm such a nerd.

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
farnorthdan

Re: Forum down every night!!!

Post by farnorthdan »

9pm Alaska time here every night, I've gotten use to it and don't even check any more. Not much happens after that anyways,
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I noticed this too¿?¿?¿?¿?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I've never had a report of this before. Can you send me a screenshot of what it says when it's down?

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Weird, I'm on here all hours of the night and never had this happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Always around 1AM here on the east coast...

No message that I've seen, just unresponsive... I always assumed it was a scheduled server backup, or some such task.

(Chrome mobile)
remnar

Post by remnar »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I've been meaning to ask this question for a year or so but always forget. Am I the only one that has noticed that the forum goes down from 10pm pacific time for about 20 minutes a night?

I usually go to bed around this time and I like to take a quick peek at the forum just before lights out but a lot of the time it's right at 10 and so it goes down. I'll admit I've waited up more than once for it to come back online before going to sleep. I sure do love this forum. Oh man, I'm such a nerd.

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed...
I've noticed this and find myself doing the same thing sometimes. It happens at 10 pm Pacific Time every night. I always figured there was just some kind of automated maintenance going on.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've seen it happen frequently (midnight Central time). It appears there is some chron job (scheduled task) that kicks off at that time. I can be browsing the forum, then right at midnight central time any forum message I try to load, it just doesn't respond. I think I posted about it once before, a long time ago. I figured it was due to a backup or something happening at that time. Doesn't come back until at least 10 or 15 minutes later.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

This happens for me every time on the Forum at 1:00 AM (Eastern Time). By 1:30 AM, the Forum is up and running again. Must be a system update of some sort?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

TazKristi wrote:I've never had a report of this before. Can you send me a screenshot of what it says when it's down?

Kristi
Sorry Kristi, like others have said above, there isn't a message that pops up at all. My browser just acts like it's taking a really long time to load.

Glad I'm not alone, thanks for chiming in everyone. The struggle is real!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Yep. Every night at 11 mountain. My girlfriend even knows about it because of my gasps when I go to submit a long post and get an error. lol

My guess is that is when the forum backs up or updates or something. Usually 5-20 minutes it is down.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Mystery solved... did a little digging with our webmaster and the forum isn't actually going down. That's the time that the servers run a back-up. The forum database is so huge that it takes roughly 15-25 minutes for the full back-up to run. ;)

Thanks for bringing it up Liquid Cobra and to everyone else who chimed in.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Mystery solved! Thanks Kristi. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, it is the cause of many, many double posts on here. Every night at 11pm here in Colorado the forum is down for about 15-20 minutes. I thought this came up before and we were told that the server was rebooting. I heard that somewhere a long time ago.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I was always wondering what that was about!! 10pm here too.
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Glad to hear all this info gets backed up everyday. I guess that makes the blackout worth it ;)

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Ahh...just made it, 9:54 PM. Night everyone.

@liquid_cobra
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yes, like everyone else, it's down every night.