Suggestions for new EDC items?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
EDC Honeybee

Suggestions for new EDC items?

Post by EDC Honeybee »

So, I am working on compiling a list of EDC items that I would like to either buy myself as a celebration for finals, or to get for my birthday next month. Would love suggestions on any of the below.

Knives:
I currently have some 60 knives, and am working on making myself several more customs right now. The only knives I am interested in are those with copper scales (love the patina). I can make custom scales, so am considering asking for/buying copper sheets to maybe make some copper Chapparal scales, urban trapper scales, or custom friction-folder scales. I have searched out knives with copper, but there are very few in the <$150 range.

Multi-tools:
I carry a leatherman PS4 daily, but am considering maybe a copper SAK farmer for lightweight carry, or maybe even a SAK midnight manager. Any input on either? is the copper farmer actually copper or just copper color?

Flashlights:
I currently have a thrunite ti3 that I EDC, and I really like it. Also have a AA and AAA mini-maglite. I am thinking of asking for an LED mod kit for the maglite. Also thinking of the maratac AAA Cu or the surefire titan plus, need to decide between them. Anyone own either?

Watches: I have a couple in mind, but always love suggestions sub $100. I have a few I wear daily, two thin skagens and a timex. Thinking of one more for variety

Pens: I have a few lower end fountain pens, and am thinking of maybe getting one more in the $50 range since I carry and use it daily.

Not really interested in pocket-frosting, one piece multi tools, or wallets for now. Also thinking of maybe couple leatherworking tools to make better sheaths and pouches myself. Also I don't plan to buy/get all of what is listed above. Will probably only acquire a couple/few. Thanks
abbazaba

Re: Suggestions for new EDC items?

Post by abbazaba »

I have one of these driver bits on my keychain and its been an incredible convenience when I'm already in some contorted position under a desk or dash and don't have a phillips in reach:
http://www.bigidesign.com/welcome/titanium-pocket-bit/

Ti3 is a great light, but I prefer single modes and carry a Ti2. I just bought a Olight i3e silver 120lm and its smaller and lighter than the Thrunite or the Fenix E05. The barrel material is definitely thinner and smoother, but so far I'm impressed for about 10 bucks. They make a copper color one, if youre into that sort of thing ;)

I have a bunch of Leatherman and SAK models, but the one that gets the most use is the SAK Classic. Its the scissors that make it so useful for me. The Micra is pretty awesome for the same reason.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

abbazaba wrote:I have one of these driver bits on my keychain and its been an incredible convenience when I'm already in some contorted position under a desk or dash and don't have a phillips in reach:
http://www.bigidesign.com/welcome/titanium-pocket-bit/

Ti3 is a great light, but I prefer single modes and carry a Ti2. I just bought a Olight i3e silver 120lm and its smaller and lighter than the Thrunite or the Fenix E05. The barrel material is definitely thinner and smoother, but so far I'm impressed for about 10 bucks. They make a copper color one, if youre into that sort of thing ;)

I have a bunch of Leatherman and SAK models, but the one that gets the most use is the SAK Classic. Its the scissors that make it so useful for me. The Micra is pretty awesome for the same reason.
I really like the looks of that titanium driver. It may be a bit redundant with the leatherman, but is probably more convenient to access.

I like having at least 2 modes on my flashlight since I use it in a variety of settings. I only use it once or so per day, but I want it to handle whatever environment I am in.

I have a micra and found I rarely used the scissors myself. I have a classic, but it never gets pocket time for some reason.

I will definitely check the olight i3e, thanks for the suggestions!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Picked up the AAA Cu Maratac a few months back, great little light and patina is coming along nicely. I've been carrying the Fellhoelter Ti Bolt for a couple years now, sticker shock lasted for a bit but after carrying it every day I can say it was money well spent, what a bullet proof pen and with the Schmidt easy flow a joy to write with.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

farnorthdan wrote:Picked up the AAA Cu Maratac a few months back, great little light and patina is coming along nicely. I've been carrying the Fellhoelter Ti Bolt for a couple years now, sticker shock lasted for a bit but after carrying it every day I can say it was money well spent, what a bullet proof pen and with the Schmidt easy flow a joy to write with.
Beautiful patina on that light. I think the maratac is something I will order for myself for a treat. Not sure family understand $60 on a flashlight. I can see the sticker shock, but that is a beautiful pen. :) thanks!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

EDC Honeybee wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Picked up the AAA Cu Maratac a few months back, great little light and patina is coming along nicely. I've been carrying the Fellhoelter Ti Bolt for a couple years now, sticker shock lasted for a bit but after carrying it every day I can say it was money well spent, what a bullet proof pen and with the Schmidt easy flow a joy to write with.
Beautiful patina on that light. I think the maratac is something I will order for myself for a treat. Not sure family understand $60 on a flashlight. I can see the sticker shock, but that is a beautiful pen. :) thanks!
Thanks, I ended up getting the light from Massdrop, I think around $40-45 shipped which isn't bad at all considering CountyCom wants an arm and leg for shipping. It did take a while to finally ship through MD but worth the wait. I really wish I would have grabbed the CR123 Cu Maratac when they were available, definitely getting one next time MD has them.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Take a look at Momentum watches, I have been extremely pleased with mine. Mine is the basic Steelix model and can be had for $99. They have a variety of watches that hover around the century price line. http://www.momentumwatch.com/
Good luck

Dan
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I would definitely recommend the cu Maratac lights, either the AAA model or the larger CR123. I have used them both for a long time.
The little cu AAA rides in my shirt pocket for edc, while the cu CR123 goes with me whenever I am out anywhere at night.
I have been trying to get Mike, at County Comm, to make a run of the CR123 lights in polished stainless steel. Still hoping.

The 4 inch size folding knife belt pouch by Maxpedition perfectly fits the CR123 Maratac light with room for an extra battery in a County Comm CR123 battery locker. I carry my spare battery in its locker at the bottom of the Maxpedition pouch and the CR123 light rides perfectly on top, with the Velcro top flap holding it all in place.

Quality gear, worth the price. ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Just got the email from Massdrop that they have the Copper Maratac again. Looks like it will be $47. Not sure how it would be better than your Ti3 though...
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

abbazaba wrote:Just got the email from Massdrop that they have the Copper Maratac again. Looks like it will be $47. Not sure how it would be better than your Ti3 though...
THANK YOU! just saved me maybe $20 or so. It is not going to be better than my Ti3 much/at all. Its more that I get tired of black-coated steel and aluminum EDC. I like to have a couple watches, knives, etc. My caly 3 SB isnt really better than my Caly 3 ZDP, but I still enjoy owning both.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

One of the things I especially like about the copper Maratac lights is how smooth the screw threads operate compared to Ti or SS. I have owned all three and prefer the copper hands down. I hope you enjoy your cu Maratac as much as I like mine. :)
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

El Gato wrote:One of the things I especially like about the copper Maratac lights is how smooth the screw threads operate compared to Ti or SS. I have owned all three and prefer the copper hands down. I hope you enjoy your cu Maratac as much as I like mine. :)
I am sure I will. Won't be to me for the next 30 days or so. The maratac is my gift to myself :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

EDC Honeybee wrote:So, I am working on compiling a list of EDC items that I would like to either buy myself as a celebration for finals, or to get for my birthday next month. Would love suggestions on any of the below.

Knives:
I currently have some 60 knives, and am working on making myself several more customs right now. The only knives I am interested in are those with copper scales (love the patina). I can make custom scales, so am considering asking for/buying copper sheets to maybe make some copper Chapparal scales, urban trapper scales, or custom friction-folder scales. I have searched out knives with copper, but there are very few in the <$150 range.

Multi-tools:
I carry a leatherman PS4 daily, but am considering maybe a copper SAK farmer for lightweight carry, or maybe even a SAK midnight manager. Any input on either? is the copper farmer actually copper or just copper color?

Flashlights:
I currently have a thrunite ti3 that I EDC, and I really like it. Also have a AA and AAA mini-maglite. I am thinking of asking for an LED mod kit for the maglite. Also thinking of the maratac AAA Cu or the surefire titan plus, need to decide between them. Anyone own either?

Watches: I have a couple in mind, but always love suggestions sub $100. I have a few I wear daily, two thin skagens and a timex. Thinking of one more for variety

Pens: I have a few lower end fountain pens, and am thinking of maybe getting one more in the $50 range since I carry and use it daily.

Not really interested in pocket-frosting, one piece multi tools, or wallets for now. Also thinking of maybe couple leatherworking tools to make better sheaths and pouches myself. Also I don't plan to buy/get all of what is listed above. Will probably only acquire a couple/few. Thanks

Sounds like you have the knife situation under control or at least you're very specific on what you want, so I can't add much there.

Multi tools, I really really try to advocate the Victorinox Spirit. I am extremely picky about multi tools and I have come to love this one. There aren't many things I would improve on if I could (sharper tool bits, as in sharper edges on the screwdrivers etc, and a better quality blade steel, but this is Victorinox so that may never happen). https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Product ... p/3.0224.L

Flashlights, I'm not much of a light nut like some guys here, but I do carry a Zebralight SC32 pretty frequently. It's very small and has a really cool control system that makes it easy to jump between outputs and such. It also wasn't very expensive for being a true "tactical light" or whatever. http://www.zebralight.com/SC32-CR123-Fl ... p_158.html

Watches, this is a bit beyond your budget but I currently wear a GWS G10 Pro Diver, and I LOVE THIS WATCH. Just like my multi tools, I'm very picky about my watch, and this one is 95% perfect. All it really needs is to show the day along with the date, but I can live without that. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was titanium, but then the price quadruples. I have the black version http://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/watc ... pro-diver/ Oh, there is also a cheaper version of this same watch that just isn't as water resistant..

Pens, another area I haven't gotten crazy over, because I really don't do a lot of handwriting. But, I wanted a tougher pen that had a removable pocket clip, because I found I was always breaking the clips off my Pilot pens. I also DO NOT want a pen with a removable cap...much like my pocket knives, if I can't use it with one hand then I don't want it. I also didn't want to spend a fortune, and I wanted it to use a Fisher Space Pen cartridge. So, that pretty much narrowed my options down to a few pens that cost well over $100, and the Boker .50 Cal. I've carried it for a few years and it has taken a beating. The worst things I can say about it are, the aluminum is going to wear out around the bolt action and create some sharp edges, and if you drop it on a hard surface and it lands on the tip, it can bend to the point that the ink cartridge doesn't come out. This has happened a couple times to me, but I've managed to open the hole back up with my multi tool (another nod to the Spirit). https://www.boker.de/us/tactical-pen/09BO093.html

I've carried the same wallet now for about 10 years, which was a used Harley Davidson wallet that my older brother gave me. This wallet will outlast my grandchildren, and my kids aren't even old enough to make grandchildren yet. They use super thick leather in their wallets. Probably not for everyone but I'll probably never replace this wallet.

I also EDC a bandana/handkerchief, because "reasons". Who knows, maybe I'll need to blow my nose, maybe I'll get a nose bleed. Maybe I'll cut myself and need a rag, maybe I'll need a tourniquet. It's just a handy multi use thing that's easy to fold up into my back pocket.

I also carry a gun but you didn't mention anything about that so I'll skip holsters and such. Buy a good quality leather gun belt though...can't go wrong there even if you don't ever carry a gun. They're built thicker and tougher than standard belts and will last forever.

Lastly, the most current addition to my EDC which is really kind of odd and unplanned, is a change purse. Yes, you read that right, a small leather zip up coin purse. A while back my mother went into the hospital, and I had to go through her purse for some things and I ran across this little black leather pouch. At the time I was living out of vending machines so I kept a pocket full of change, so I figured what the heck I'll use this pouch for all my machine change. Then I never stopped carrying it. Turns out it's a lot easier to get change out of your pocket when it's in a pouch, and the biggest reason is it prevents coins from scratching up my EDC knife which is also clipped in that same pocket. Before this I avoided carrying change in that pocket, but now it's a non issue. It's also totally black leather, so it's about as manly as a coin purse can get unless you buy one of those kangaroo scrotum pouches. Yes, that's a real thing...http://www.australiagift.com/scrotum_shop/scrotum.htm
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Evil D wrote: Multi tools, I really really try to advocate the Victorinox Spirit. I am extremely picky about multi tools and I have come to love this one. There aren't many things I would improve on if I could (sharper tool bits, as in sharper edges on the screwdrivers etc, and a better quality blade steel, but this is Victorinox so that may never happen). https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Product ... p/3.0224.L

Flashlights, I'm not much of a light nut like some guys here, but I do carry a Zebralight SC32 pretty frequently. It's very small and has a really cool control system that makes it easy to jump between outputs and such. It also wasn't very expensive for being a true "tactical light" or whatever. http://www.zebralight.com/SC32-CR123-Fl ... p_158.html

Watches, this is a bit beyond your budget but I currently wear a GWS G10 Pro Diver, and I LOVE THIS WATCH. Just like my multi tools, I'm very picky about my watch, and this one is 95% perfect. All it really needs is to show the day along with the date, but I can live without that. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was titanium, but then the price quadruples. I have the black version http://www.militarywatchshop.co.uk/watc ... pro-diver/ Oh, there is also a cheaper version of this same watch that just isn't as water resistant..

Pens, another area I haven't gotten crazy over, because I really don't do a lot of handwriting. But, I wanted a tougher pen that had a removable pocket clip, because I found I was always breaking the clips off my Pilot pens. I also DO NOT want a pen with a removable cap...much like my pocket knives, if I can't use it with one hand then I don't want it. I also didn't want to spend a fortune, and I wanted it to use a Fisher Space Pen cartridge. So, that pretty much narrowed my options down to a few pens that cost well over $100, and the Boker .50 Cal. I've carried it for a few years and it has taken a beating. The worst things I can say about it are, the aluminum is going to wear out around the bolt action and create some sharp edges, and if you drop it on a hard surface and it lands on the tip, it can bend to the point that the ink cartridge doesn't come out. This has happened a couple times to me, but I've managed to open the hole back up with my multi tool (another nod to the Spirit). https://www.boker.de/us/tactical-pen/09BO093.html

I've carried the same wallet now for about 10 years, which was a used Harley Davidson wallet that my older brother gave me. This wallet will outlast my grandchildren, and my kids aren't even old enough to make grandchildren yet. They use super thick leather in their wallets. Probably not for everyone but I'll probably never replace this wallet.

I also EDC a bandana/handkerchief, because "reasons". Who knows, maybe I'll need to blow my nose, maybe I'll get a nose bleed. Maybe I'll cut myself and need a rag, maybe I'll need a tourniquet. It's just a handy multi use thing that's easy to fold up into my back pocket.

I also carry a gun but you didn't mention anything about that so I'll skip holsters and such. Buy a good quality leather gun belt though...can't go wrong there even if you don't ever carry a gun. They're built thicker and tougher than standard belts and will last forever.

Lastly, the most current addition to my EDC which is really kind of odd and unplanned, is a change purse. Yes, you read that right, a small leather zip up coin purse. A while back my mother went into the hospital, and I had to go through her purse for some things and I ran across this little black leather pouch. At the time I was living out of vending machines so I kept a pocket full of change, so I figured what the heck I'll use this pouch for all my machine change. Then I never stopped carrying it. Turns out it's a lot easier to get change out of your pocket when it's in a pouch, and the biggest reason is it prevents coins from scratching up my EDC knife which is also clipped in that same pocket. Before this I avoided carrying change in that pocket, but now it's a non issue. It's also totally black leather, so it's about as manly as a coin purse can get unless you buy one of those kangaroo scrotum pouches. Yes, that's a real thing...http://www.australiagift.com/scrotum_shop/scrotum.htm
Thanks for the suggestions Evil D! I havent seen the Spirit before. Looks like a very nice tool, probably just a little large for my EDC. I didn't mention this but I am usually wearing slacks and a button-up and work in a law office. I have made a leather organizer that fits my keys, my light, and my leatherman in a design about the same size as a normal wallet. I think the 4'' Spirit may be a little too large for htat style of carry. Could be great for weekends though.

Really like the looks of that watch, but probably outside my price range right now.

I love bolt-action pens. I am always torn though. I like writing with a fountain pen, and those are rarely clickies, and never bolt action (that I know of). Going to add this to the list anyways because its so cool.

I carry a handerkerchief also and have maybe 10 or so to rotate out, mostly hand-made by family. Its the least used of my EDC, but when it is useful, it is one of the biggest social lifesavers. When you get a nosebleed in the middle of class, or have a cold, or get cut away from the bandaids, etc. I had my gf and my mom make several, so they were really cheap and I don't mind giving them away if someone around me needs to use it for whatever.

Gun isn't really on the table for me now as I am between a law office and the classroom all week. It is one of the biggest EDC items people have, and other issues aside Im not sure I would like the bulk. Since I like in a pretty low-crime suburban area, I don't find the cost-benefit to be there for me yet. I do enjoy going to the range though. I ought to get my CC just to enjoy the classes.

Thanks again!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Vintage Sheaffer Imperial cartridge (or vac fill) fountain pen! These can be had off ebay for under $50 and spank most $50 modern pens as far as both writing feel and outright trouble-free utility.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

As far as flashlights go, I own and can recommend the Maratac AAA model from County Comm.
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

i don't really have too much EDC stuff. I got into flashlights a little. Love the Fenix brand. I have a PD22 (one CR123) and a PD35 (two CR123). Both are about 3 years old and have been used, dropped etc. No problems at all. Some of the flashlight people don't like that they are made in China. However, the quality is excellent. One con is that they don't tail stand. Also, the mode selecter is a separate switch on the side. The tail switch is just off/on.
I had to stop after going thru flashlight phase. I was afraid I'd start making an underground shelter for all the tornados we have in Boston. Although, it might be worth doing to have a place to get away from people..
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have the Maratac AAA cu and it's a great little light .... but copper is heavy for edc. Check out the ti version, or much better if you like a clicky, the Lumintop Tool (the manufacturer of the Maratac). I have the copper version with a lovely warm nichia led.

The copper version of the Olight i3s is a bargain compared to these, and brighter too.
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

awa54 wrote:Vintage Sheaffer Imperial cartridge (or vac fill) fountain pen! These can be had off ebay for under $50 and spank most $50 modern pens as far as both writing feel and outright trouble-free utility.
I spent a long time on ebay searching pens a month or two ago. I'm afraid my problem is I am not accomplished enough to readily tell good from bad and what price should be. I might give it another look :) thanks
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

As a birthday present or whatever, I would suggest buying a better watch. Just like buying knives, you have to know the right place to buy watches so you don't pay way too much. You could get a nice automatic Seiko or Citizen for between $100 and $200.

I can't address the pen issue. I've usually carried a couple of cheap pens such as rollerballs or whatever. They work and if I lose one or break one, I don't mind it.

I carry a Fenix PD22 and it works great, its main shortcoming is that it is a little large in diameter.