More NY insanity....

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OldHoosier62

More NY insanity....

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Yep, because it makes more sense to criminalize an object than aggressively arrest and prosecute the violent criminals misusing them.Idiots.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/04 ... ire-state/
SpyderNut

Re: More NY insanity....

Post by SpyderNut »

Wow... And that's one reason I steer clear of visiting such places. :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Is that just in NYC or the whole state?!?

Baseball bats are "deadly weapons" too, what are they gonna do about that ?

ridiculous... *maybe* they could pitch this idea if NY had statistics showing that there was a huge increase in machete related murders or assaults, but I'm assuming that no such data exists (if the New Yorkers are going berzerk on each other with machetes, we certainly aren't hearing about it here in VT!) and even if it did, penalizing people who want to clear brush by forcing them to use less appropriate tools or become law breakers is preposterous.

Idiots is a kind way to put it.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

awa54 wrote:Is that just in NYC or the whole state?!?

Baseball bats are "deadly weapons" too, what are they gonna do about that ?

ridiculous... *maybe* they could pitch this idea if NY had statistics showing that there was a huge increase in machete related murders or assaults, but I'm assuming that no such data exists (if the New Yorkers are going berzerk on each other with machetes, we certainly aren't hearing about it here in VT!) and even if it did, penalizing people who want to clear brush by forcing them to use less appropriate tools or become law breakers is preposterous.

Idiots is a kind way to put it.
Whole state according to the article. The idiocy of that state never ceases to amaze me. Turning normal, law abiding citizens into instant criminals with ignorant and ill advised legislation every time you turn around. You'd think the folks living there would throw those morons out of the legislature.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I am not a lawyer and have never been one, but my read of the bill, and the sections of the NYS Penal Law that it modifies leads me to believe that it only makes it illegal to possess a machete "with intent to use the same unlawfully against another". If my read is correct, then it's unnecessary, but not restrictive since the current "or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon" portion of 265.01 (2) should cover them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Axes, next?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

TomAiello wrote:Axes, next?
I hear electric roast carving knives are a big threat, or was it garden hoes? Either way it's time to outlaw all those deadly weapons! ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Toasters. They should outlaw toasters, next. A toaster can be tossed into a bathtub and kill somebody, or be swung by the cord as an illegal mace.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

I saw "NY" in the title here, so here I am. :) I think that point about legal interpretation made so much sense, but I'm no lawyer either. :) And NY state is not so bad. NYC is fun! The knife laws, in my very limited research and experience, seem over the top in NYC. That is true. But upstate NY, relax, it's no big thing. :cool:

In NYC I think it's sort of a population per square mile situation kinda deal. And I'm actually ok with the machete law, if I'm understanding it correctly. What I mean is, if I see a guy upstate by my local train station and he's holding a machete, I'm kinda psyched. I'm thinking... Dude is about to take out that overgrown patch along the fence and clean up the neighborhood. Cool, love that guy! I see the same guy with a machete by the 6 train, a NYC subway line, I'm thinking...Dude, not cool, he may be about to take out some innocent straphanger waiting on the platform! Get ready to pull off heels and run! :eek: Am I so crazy? :confused:

Visit NYC you'll love it! Has EVERYTHING!!! Just leave your trusty knife :spyder: at home!
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Deacon wrote:I am not a lawyer and have never been one, but my read of the bill, and the sections of the NYS Penal Law that it modifies leads me to believe that it only makes it illegal to possess a machete "with intent to use the same unlawfully against another". If my read is correct, then it's unnecessary, but not restrictive since the current "or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon" portion of 265.01 (2) should cover them.
This is how I understood it as well.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

one of the world's oldest and most useful tools. oops, better ban it...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If using it to harm another person (i.e. committing assault) is already a felony, what's the point in creating an additional law to criminalize it?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TomAiello wrote:If using it to harm another person (i.e. committing assault) is already a felony, what's the point in creating an additional law to criminalize it?
Looks good to their constituents that they are tough on 'deadly weapons'. Just part of the political game. Make the people think you're doing something...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Yes, I live in a retarded state. Looks like I'll be stocking up on long-bladed Bowie knives very soon as those aren't "machetes." :rolleyes:
Last edited by Monocrom on Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Monocrom wrote:Yes, I live in a retarded state. Looks like I'm be stocking up on long-bladed Bowie knives very soon as those aren't "machetes." :rolleyes:
Already Done that!!!!...Doc:)
Bigman

Post by Bigman »

How did any of us ever get by without the moronic do gooders (AKA so-called leadership) saving us from ourselves with their goofy laws to protect us all??
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
Monocrom wrote:Yes, I live in a retarded state. Looks like I'm be stocking up on long-bladed Bowie knives very soon as those aren't "machetes." :rolleyes:
Already Done that!!!!...Doc:)
Not a fan of the man..... but I expect sales of Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovels to increase dramatically as well. ****, I'll likely be getting one in the not too distant future too. :mad:
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Bigman wrote:How did any of us ever get by without the moronic do gooders (AKA so-called leadership) saving us from ourselves with their goofy laws to protect us all??
If it wasn't for the First Amendment, they'd have banned Free Speech as well because.... Having a dissenting opinion hurts other peoples' feelings. Therefore, Free Speech is dangerous because it inflicts "grave emotional harm" and is "emotional abuse."

(Yes, I can fake thinking like a brain-damaged psychotic lunatic who decided to make politics a career. That as a career choice. Perfect example of blatant deranged insanity right there.)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Unfortunately Cold Steel seems to call a LOT of things machetes that aren't machetes.

The interesting thing is that the new additions to the Penal Code don't include a definition of the term machete.
Monocrom wrote:
Bigman wrote:How did any of us ever get by without the moronic do gooders (AKA so-called leadership) saving us from ourselves with their goofy laws to protect us all??
If it wasn't for the First Amendment, they'd have banned Free Speech as well because.... Having a dissenting opinion hurts other peoples' feelings. Therefore, Free Speech is dangerous because it inflicts "grave emotional harm" and is "emotional abuse."

(Yes, I can fake thinking like a brain-damaged psychotic lunatic who decided to make politics a career. That as a career choice. Perfect example of blatant deranged insanity right there.)
Most definitely. A year or two back, in a conversation with Susan Arbetter on “The Capitol Pressroom” New York governor Andrew Cuomo commented that “conservative Republicans … have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
palonej

Post by palonej »

I grew up in NYC.....1960 - 2000. I'll bet anything with each of these laws passed most people, read Sheeple, there are throwing a party!! They truly believe once all those terrible weapons are made illegal they will be living in Utopia.
All this reminds me of the first thing Hitler & the Nazis did when coming into power......give us your weapons. You no longer need them as we will protect you. How'd that work out?
We are now in New Jersey.......don't even get me started!! Sling shots & BB guns will land you in a steaming heap!
Joe