What was your first computer?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: What was your first computer?

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Do you all remember the days of the 386 and 486 computers, when internet searches were all text and not graphical?
What is this "internet search" thing you speak of?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Speaking of text, does anyone else remember using Lynx to browse the internet? Back when there were like three web sites, and you'd hunt around trying to find a major company that had one?

I think I was on an original Macintosh by that point, though. Huge upgrade from the Apple II.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Fun reading through this thread. Memory lane.

My first computer was a XT clone of strange design, processor was on a plug in board. It had lots of compatibility issues so I soon built another XT clone with a 20 meg HD and a "turbo" button that boosted clock speed to 6 Mhz. Yeah, those were the days.

I'm currently building a new Z97 system, 3.5 Ghz quad core, 32 Gig of memory, solid state boot drive. Things have gotten better and it was a fun ride.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I built my first computers, a simple analog computer that could do simple match and a switching logic computer that electrified the old riddle of a farmer with a bushel of corn, a goose and a fox that he had to move across a river. His boat could only carry one item at a time and he had to prevent the goose from eating the corn and the fox from eating the goose.

First commercial computer: TI-99a 16k of memory, it was pretty capable.

First PC was a 286 clone with an entire 1 meg of memory of which I could only use 640 until I got a memory expansion card. It ran DOS 3.2 and had a 5 megabyte hard disk.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

my first desktop is a custom skylake build with a 980Ti :). Before that I had an Acer Craptop
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Do you all remember the days of the 386 and 486 computers, when internet searches were all text and not graphical?
I remember 80286, 8086, 8088.... And I remember when there was no internet to search.

Ken
Donut

Post by Donut »

valenciamanu wrote:A Spectrum + 2.
128k with cassette.
That's a good point!

I had something, I believe before I ever had an Apple 2, that had some sort of external cassette storage to it.

If I remember correctly, it had a "normal" audio port out on it. I would hook up a normal cassette player to it, press record, hit save and it would beep onto the tape for the storage.

I would spend a couple hours typing in a basic program that I got out of a book. Then spend like 10 minutes recording it to a normal audio cassette tape.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kbuzbee wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Do you all remember the days of the 386 and 486 computers, when internet searches were all text and not graphical?
I remember 80286, 8086, 8088.... And I remember when there was no internet to search.

Ken
Yeah, many of us are old enough to remember Al Gore slaving away in his garage to invent the internet. :rolleyes: :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Doc Dan wrote:
kbuzbee wrote:

Ken
Yeah, many of us are old enough to remember Al Gore slaving away in his garage to invent the internet. :rolleyes: :p
Yep, that was amazing work he did.

Ken
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Donut wrote:
128k with cassette.
That's a good point!

I had something, I believe before I ever had an Apple 2, that had some sort of external cassette storage to it.

If I remember correctly, it had a "normal" audio port out on it. I would hook up a normal cassette player to it, press record, hit save and it would beep onto the tape for the storage.

I would spend a couple hours typing in a basic program that I got out of a book. Then spend like 10 minutes recording it to a normal audio cassette tape.
It might still be at my mother.
If I see when I go take a picture.
LC Kid

Fat Mac

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

For me it was a Fat Macintosh 512, back in the 80s. :)

Always thought it was kind of a boxy squared machine. :rolleyes:

The real blast for me was my first Laptop. Since then I never looked back at anything else. :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TI 99/4a.

-Before that I actually bought a atari game called "basic programming". It came with two controllers that fit together to form a terribly cumbersome input device.

Speaking of Atari, have any of you guys read Ready Player 1? Pretty fun read.
Donut

Post by Donut »

valenciamanu wrote:
Donut wrote:
128k with cassette.
That's a good point!

It might still be at my mother.
If I see when I go take a picture.
I did a little googling, I believe it was a ti99 like Gringo.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!