Let's talk about pistol holsters...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderNut

Re: Let's talk about pistol holsters...

Post by SpyderNut »

Thanks guys. I check this thread quite frequently and greatly appreciate your personal insights on holster options.

I am *tentatively* supposed to receive my new N82 subcompact holster today (per the greater powers at UPS :rolleyes: ). Can't wait to see how she works! I'll post back after I get some time with it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Almoe66

Post by Almoe66 »

While perhaps being one of the least fancy holsters out there, I love the Sticky Holster. I have one for each of my handguns and wear it both in pocket and IWB. It took a few times to trust it IWB, but it really doesn't move. The downside is two handed reholstering.

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

Walt Whitman
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Went to cabelas and walked out with another holster. Trying the Galco IWB this time around. Alot smaller then my DeSanti. So far I really like it. Let me carry it for a week now and see..

Edit: after wearing this around the house all day I think it is going back to cabelas..I just ordered a sticky off amazon so try that next...why is this so hard!!!! :mad:

Last edited by murphjd25 on Mon May 30, 2016 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Pocket carry for 642 is a cheap Uncle Mikes size3 I believe that's the size,tried and have the Desantis. Liked the Uncle Mikes better. I think you can buy the Blackhawk version at Walmart,same holster. Iwb or owb, Mitch Rosen, period. Years of products all great. Great customer service I have a gunbelt I wear daily for years gun or no gun,single and double mag pouches,many owb,and a few iwb. That's my advice, good luck.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I just bought myself a glock 26 and carry it in an alien wear iwb hybrid holster. It's pretty comfortable but I'm so use to pocket carrying smaller firearms that it's taking some time to get use to. My biggest issue is having a super tight belt that cuts into my waist in order to keep my pants from falling down.
Studey

Post by Studey »

murphjd25 wrote:Went to cabelas and walked out with another holster. Trying the Galco IWB this time around. Alot smaller then my DeSanti. So far I really like it. Let me carry it for a week now and see..

Edit: after wearing this around the house all day I think it is going back to cabelas..I just ordered a sticky off amazon so try that next...why is this so hard!!!! :mad:

Any holster that leaves the triggerguard open like that is ridiculous. Any holster I build has that covered completely. It's just sloppy to do otherwise, let alone the potential issues.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

33S wrote:Run TTGunleather exclusively these days
Went to the website and really liked what I saw... Thanks for the mention/referral....
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I just finished up a little project. Decided I wanted to make myself a new holster instead of going out and buying one. Especially since I already have all of the supplies.

After I cut the leather I molded it

Let that dry, figured out how I was going to do the belt loops, punched out all of the holes and dyed the pieces.

After it dried, I put a sheen protector on the leather, stitched it up and bam! Complete.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice work, Travvy! I like it. How does it carry for you?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

SpyderNut wrote:Nice work, Travvy! I like it. How does it carry for you?
Thank you! So far only carried it for about an hour and it was pretty comfortable. Couldn't even tell I was wearing anything while I was sitting down. My biggest thing right now is I need a good gun belt. I use a fairly stiff nylon belt but it still sags. I also found out that this holster will work as a pocket holster as well which I really like. Catches on the pocket and stays in pocket as I draw.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Like Doc, I have often thought in all of my years in the gun business that most of the big holster companies really had no clue that many of us carried 24/7/365...positioning, fit, comfort, durability have all taken a hit at one time or another. My choices mirror Doc and Rex , Alessi, Kramer, Milt Sparks, and a couple of the old Jackass Leather Co. models. Kydex is okay (my competition rig is kydex) and makes for a fast draw stroke...but I prefer leather for everyday carry.

I'm a typical geezer...carry a S&W N-frame 4in. in .44spl/mag or .45acp.....or a Commander sized 1911 most days. ****, my "concealment" gun is a 1980's Charter Arms .44 spl. Bulldog (in Sparks leather) and a High Standard .22magnum derringer in a skeleton holster in my back pocket. I are old school.

BTW- I am right-handed but carry and shoot left-handed....finding good factory lefty holsters is a chore, especially for large frame revolvers.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

For gunbelts...I recommend http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts.html

Excellent quality.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Looks good travvy! I just got my sticky in the mail today, hope I like it, I'm getting sick of buying holsters haha.
Josh
chaps

Post by chaps »

I'm a decocker only guy. For full size, my favorite is the High Noon Slide Guard; I was fortunate enough to win one for Christmas this last year. Makes my 75BD feel like a 2075. I also have an Alien Gear combo for a P-01; well built, but gotta say the IWB takes a lot of real estate. I'm ambivalent about the set - the High Noon prints less than either Alien, and that's with the full frame. But count me another vote for the Remora for J frame carry - that's perfect for summer carry, and easy removal if you have to go inside a GFZ.
Studey

Post by Studey »

i am travvy wrote:
Thank you! So far only carried it for about an hour and it was pretty comfortable. Couldn't even tell I was wearing anything while I was sitting down. My biggest thing right now is I need a good gun belt. I use a fairly stiff nylon belt but it still sags. I also found out that this holster will work as a pocket holster as well which I really like. Catches on the pocket and stays in pocket as I draw.
Nice work! Trimming the snaps flatter will allow a flatter profile under a shirt, and trimming the sweatguard back a bit can allow a more unencumbered draw.

Here's a couple more recent ones.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

murphjd25 wrote:Went to cabelas and walked out with another holster. Trying the Galco IWB this time around. Alot smaller then my DeSanti. So far I really like it. Let me carry it for a week now and see..

I hate those holsters so much. I have a couple that I keep around just for when I need a simple easy to slip in holster that I know I won't be wearing for very long, but for all day wear those things are worthless. If they changed the design a bit to add a little cant to the clip and extend the leather up so it covered the slide it would probably be a great minimalist holster.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Studey wrote:
i am travvy wrote:
Nice work! Trimming the snaps flatter will allow a flatter profile under a shirt, and trimming the sweatguard back a bit can allow a more unencumbered draw.
Thanks for the tip. I left a little bit of extra leather on the flaps because I don't have a proper gun belt yet. I just use a stiff but thin nylon belt. I know a gun belt will be a tad bit wider and thicker so that should help some with the little bit of slack. I like your holsters as well. I want to get some kydex to play around with.
Studey

Post by Studey »

i am travvy wrote:
Studey wrote:
i am travvy wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I left a little bit of extra leather on the flaps because I don't have a proper gun belt yet. I just use a stiff but thin nylon belt. I know a gun belt will be a tad bit wider and thicker so that should help some with the little bit of slack. I like your holsters as well. I want to get some kydex to play around with.
Yep! 1.5" is the 'standard', or at least most common, gun belt.

Kydex is very easy to work with, and very difficult to do well consistently.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Got a sticky. I actually like it, I can make it ride real low IWB, and can also pocket carry if need be. Almost disappears now, I forgot I'm wearing it most days now.

Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 to carry my XDS. So far so good!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!