Kershaw Intellect Knife (1810) : Unboxing & First Impressions

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wavester

Kershaw Intellect Knife (1810) : Unboxing & First Impressions

Post by Wavester »

*EDITED - Determined that Wavester64 videos are not in the best interest of our forum. Link removed. - Taz*
bh49

Re: Kershaw Intellect Knife (1810) : Unboxing & First Impressions

Post by bh49 »

I like many Kershaw knives, but all of them made in China, so I will pass.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I bought one of these but returned it. Same lockbar access issue that I have with the Zing. I also didn't like the steel "scale" on the presentation side... like they plan to release a half G10 version.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I hate all made in China crap. I really try stay away from it. That includes Byrds.
I'm having a hard time with excepting Taiwan made spyders. I'm trying.

Kershaw used to make a good knife. They probably still do. Just make sure it's made in usa.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The only thing a Taiwan Spydie and a Chinese ____ have in common is they aren't made by white people. The gap with Spyderco/Byrd is wayyy closer than most other brands. A Tenacious without a tang stamp could fool most aficionados. The Gayle Bradley could fool people as a custom.

The fact that many (not all) in this culture want a G10 folding knife for the price of three Dominos pizzas is the reason the companies have to outsource, at least on a few models. I'm sure the Bryds help fund collabs and expansion of things like the Golden shop. Necessary evils I guess.

I only have one Kershaw, an OD-2. I missed getting the 1 as it was discontinued. The 2 is Chinese and the 1 was American. Nonetheless the 2 is dang impressive for $16. A very fun little manual flipper. I'll certainly buy another Kershaw with enough quality reviews if it's non-A/O.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

There's a big difference in employ rights and pay

I'd rather pay a bit more to know some of my cash is going to the worker.

Sorry. It's just the way I was taught growing up
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JAfromMN wrote:There's a big difference in employ rights and pay

I'd rather pay a bit more to know some of my cash is going to the worker.

Sorry. It's just the way I was taught growing up
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but i'd rather put my money where i can get quality, and this far in my life that has turned out to be from the far east more often than not. There was a time made in USA meant something to me, but it seems to me US manufacturing went to cruise control and everyone else zapped past in the fast lane.. Now, i am generalising, i know, but assuming Made in USA is some sort of Ivy league stamp of excellence is missing out on a lot of superior stuff.
I have no axe to grind with neither USA or it's people, i am just seeing it from my European view
Peace out
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Larry_Mott wrote:Now, i am generalising, i know, but assuming Made in USA is some sort of Ivy league stamp of excellence is missing out on a lot of superior stuff.
I have no axe to grind with neither USA or it's people, i am just seeing it from my European view
Peace out
Patriotism should come from excellence rather than latitude and longitude coordinates.

As an auto enthusiast what happened to Detroit's industry was sickening. At some point though they cared less about quality than assuming pride would keep sales rolling. Throw in a oil crisis and bad things happened while Japanese brands and VW flourished.

Lessons should be learned. If Golden has the same quality as all other makers then it's economics holding them back from being competitive on MSRP. Luckily they are and that makes me proud of what they produce :).

Still, I appreciate the bouquet of products Spyderco makes. Each sale helps them as a company so I'll buy whatever they make if it "speaks" to me.
CascadianAaron

Post by CascadianAaron »

Kershaw makes plenty of US made knives, some at very reasonable prices. My Skyline cost $40 new and is my favorite "office" EDC as it is very light and compact yet quite useful.

That said, made in the USA doesn't always equal quality, I've purchased several US made knives where they had to be sent in for repair strait away due to poorly aligned blades and other issues that should have been caught before being boxed and shipped for sale. My Tenacious is one of my best knives, solid through and through with a perfectly centered blade and a great pivot. I got a Real Steel that is also just about perfect. Both top quality construction and both made in China.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

1870 knockout is the best Kershaw ever made