Cutting the Cord: Life Without Television

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Cutting the Cord: Life Without Television

Post by SG89 »

we installed an OTA antenna today and we live fairly close to dfw so we picked up over 60 local channels with it and the wonderful picture quality shocked me. I will probably get sling tv as well. haven't missed having satellite TV one bit, especially the price.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Another thing, another alternative, is to not have regular television or cable, and if there is a particular show you like, or movie, you can purchase it as a dvd or download, or watch it on the internet video sites like Youtube.com
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I remember life before cable.

When I lived in MD we had like 60 channels over rabbit ears and that was until 1995 when we moved to NC.

Well in NC if you don't have cable etc you get like 6 channels and 4 of them are good some of the time.

I am not a huge TV watcher, and I find myself watching less TV shows as time goes on with all of the BS and PC fueled garbage that's on these days. Some of it just makes my stomach turn so I turn the channel and never watch that show again. But I do like movies and the Internet and I am not the only one who lives in the house and they are a big TV watcher. So we have cable TV with DVR's and Phone through the cable company.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

yeah that is a good point. I remember the rabbit ears.

If you were to speculate, what do you think will replace cable and optical fiber? Will the future be 100 percent wireless or will there always be a need for wired communications for reliability?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:yeah that is a good point. I remember the rabbit ears.

If you were to speculate, what do you think will replace cable and optical fiber? Will the future be 100 percent wireless or will there always be a need for wired communications for reliability?

Can't really say for sure.

But I do believe all of those so called free or discounted stuff the cable cutters are using now will go away in the near future. I think that is in the works now if I remember right.

I do think wired connections are much more reliable and will always be needed.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

During one of the hurricanes in Houston, our neighbors were using our gas stove to cook the stuff thawing out in their freezers and refrigerators and using our rotary phone to communicate. They were the only things working, that and the radio in the car. No electricity and cell towers were down.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:During one of the hurricanes in Houston, our neighbors were using our gas stove to cook the stuff thawing out in their freezers and refrigerators and using our rotary phone to communicate. They were the only things working, that and the radio in the car. No electricity and cell towers were down.

Ever notice when something happens the 1st thing to go down is Cell Towers?

Vastly unreliable.

The old hard line phones extremely reliable and worked even if the power went out.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Mad Mac wrote:One month ago, I canceled telephone land line and Directv, my satellite TV provider. More and more tech savvy young people are "cutting the cord" using other devices and services. For an old timer like me (68) reaching for the remote is a reflex action, muscle memory, habit. So far, I've been making do with a smartphone, the Internet, Netflix and catching up on some reading. In general, seem to be getting more done, too. In a way, it's like being on vacation without leaving the house. Anyone else "cutting the cord?"
You're old enough to be my older brother but I have been without TV for about 20 years. Don't miss it except for TNN and stuff like that. Radio works...

I go without a phone or computer a few weeks a year just to prove to the disbelievers that it is possible and not harmful. I work in tech so it's refreshing to give the middle finger to the daily grind once in a while.

Highly recommended
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Cut the cord years ago and get by just fine with Cell Phone, Internet, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I HATE commercials and don't mind paying a small amount to get that amount of time/life back from the crap that passes for commercials and advertisement these days. I also get the benefit of living in the country and get my internet service from a local Co-Op which works out great since they aren't in business to make a profit, just provide a quality service to their customers and good jobs to their employees.