Best Pistol light for Glock 17

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RanCoWeAla

Best Pistol light for Glock 17

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a Glock 17 that I want to put a light on and would like any input anyone has. I have looked at a Streamlight and an Olight which was about half as much as the Streamlight but I don't know anything about those.
Monocrom

Re: Best Pistol light for Glock 17

Post by Monocrom »

Streamlight's TLR-3 model is worth looking into. Very compact, with a polymer housing. Easy to tighten or remove the light from the pistol. It's not the absolute greatest out there, but the price is very reasonable. Just a suggestion.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a wholesale catalog that shows the retail on that one at 151.95 so i would hope to get it for under $100. What about the cr2 lithium battery ? Are they easy to find and inexpensive?
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

I have ran a TLR1 since 2009 on my duty gun (a Glock G22 RTF2) and I recently acquired (last year) a Surefire Ultra X300 that replaced it. The TLR1 NOW rides on my main off-duty gun (a SIG P320 Compact). I carry one of these (or the other) every day.

I HIGHLY suggest the TLR1, which can be had for around $100. I "Googled" "Streamlight TLR1" and one of the first hits was a VERY reputable online dealer for $99.99.

The Surefire X300 is NICE but the TLR1 is the best weapon light "buy" out there, in my not-so-humble opinion (the Surefire was also a GIFT, in the name of full disclosure).

I WILL SAY if I had never used a TLR1 I would probably prefer the X300 BUT I could be completely happy with the TLR1 the rest of my days.

BACKGROUND-I'm a uniformed sheriff's deputy (lieutenant) and also a firearms/TASER/Rapid Deployment instructor. I work PERMANENT night shift so the weapon lights get USED. We are in the process of buying weapon lights for every officer in our agency and the unanimous vote of our firearms staff was the TLR1.
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I purchased a Streamlight TLR -3 and this thing is unbelievable to be powered by a single very small battery. I tried it out in the house first and it would illuminate a whole room with a very bright White light In the center with periferial that covered the entire room. Then I went outside and it was casting a spot light beam out 30 yards or more with sights perfectly visible. I highly recommend this one at 110 Lumens.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Streamlight all the way. I have many of there lights. Surefire makes nice stuff but not for the price.
Josh
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I'm sure the TLR-1 is a better light but I was just in the market for one and came across the TLR-3 at Story's in Auburn Alabama and at a good price.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I have a wholesale catalog that shows the retail on that one at 151.95 so i would hope to get it for under $100. What about the cr2 lithium battery ? Are they easy to find and inexpensive?
You can find CR2 cells at the big retail pharmacies. They are expensive though. Unlike CR123 cells that can be an excellent bargain online, as opposed to Brick & Mortar shops, CR2s are still pricey. But on something as vitally important as a weapon-light, it's going to be worth the money. That is one place where you don't want to be playing the role of a bargain hunter.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

murphjd25 wrote:Streamlight all the way. I have many of there lights. Surefire makes nice stuff but not for the price.
I do have to say that as someone with a lot of experience with both brands, Streamlight can be hit-or-miss. And very much so. Some of their lights are excellent. Some are good. And others are unreliable junk! I would never recommend certain SL models. Two off the top of my head are the Nano, and the NightFighter. The Nano has a tendency for the head to unscrew itself fully either in a pocket or clipped on keys on a dangler outside the pocket.

The NightFighter is a perfect example of the worst mentality that can exist within any company. The original had clear competition with the SureFire C2 model. On that type of mission-specific light, SureFire got everything right, and Streamlight got everything wrong. (Keep in mind, that's coming from a Streamlight fan.) The grip-ring (size and material used), clip position, attachment of the grip-ring, the tailcap design, etc. Everything was wrong on the NightFighter.

Years after I bought mine, I heard SL was going to introduce a new version in LED form. I was excited! Until I learned that SL decided to put in zero R&D into the new version. It was literally the same old idiotic design with an LED stuffed inside, and a couple of fins on the bezel. Now that sort of cost saving move made sense on the Scorpion, and on their TL-2 models. But keep in mind that those were already good designs. They didn't need major overhauling. The NightFighter desperately did.

I actually had a chance to speak with a Streamlight representative. Someone relatively high up in the company. I asked him why the NightFighter wasn't going to be redesigned. Then, as an owner of one and several other SL models, I pointed out what the (at least to me) clear flaws were in the NF's design. He listened, and then gave me a very polite but generic "We'll look into the concerns you brought up, thank you." That was a few years ago. Obviously nothing was done.

SureFire is like dealing with a Diva. However, she's one with an amazing amount of talent. So, you put up with the attitude. Only one SF light has ever failed me. A G2 inca. that came out of the box with a blown bulb. Never a single performance issue. Yeah, SF is expensive. But you get your moneys' worth. With SL..... Sometimes you do, and sometimes you get unreliable junk.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I totally agree mono. I have been fortunate enough to not have any problems with SL thus far. I've always drooled over the surefires but have yet to feel the need to break the bank. But I will..someday!
Josh
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I have an older Streamlight TLR-2 on my Glock, (2010 or 2011?)has worked well with no problems. Gives the laser option w/light, uses CR123 batteries. Mounts quickly and securely, gives good light. I think the newer models offer a higher lumen rating. Battery replacement is simple. It is water resistant (not waterproof) if in a wet or rainy situation. It does need to be cleaned after firing the weapon. Another option is a good handheld light which offers additional flexibility and is a lot cheaper. Don't have a TLR-1 but it also seems a good option for less $. Whatever you decide, good luck...be safe.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

murphjd25 wrote:I totally agree mono. I have been fortunate enough to not have any problems with SL thus far. I've always drooled over the surefires but have yet to feel the need to break the bank. But I will..someday!
If you do, you might want to check out one of their "vintage" LED models. The new kinder and gentler, no checkering/slippery as **** models are definitely brighter. But in terms of overall quality and durability, they're not nearly as good as the older SureFires. Sadly, Paul Kim left the company quite awhile back. SureFire has yet to find a genius 10% as good as PK.