What "others" are in the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What "others" are in the mail?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Trying keep this thread grounded! :)

Case Large Amber Bone Stockman in CV is on its way from CK.
Get out of here trying to be all rational, only irrational decisions are allowed in this thread! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Almost pulled the trigger on a Shiro but I’m honestly out. I doubt a Shiro will kick any sebenzas out of my pocket, and the prices are just crazy. They literally sale for $300 in Russia.
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Artisan Arion full titanium. I'm so psyched for this one!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

STILL waiting on my new Guardian 3. Figures this week my neighborhood streets are being milled and repaved (which is nice) but...we had to remove our mailboxes and mail isn't being delivered this week. I have the mail set up to be text notified of what is at the post office to be picked up. My tracking info shows it was attempted to be delivered yesterday, but there is no reference to the package being at the post office. My wife works from home for now with an office set up in the livingroom and she said USPS never drove by yesterday (our dog would have let her know haha!)

Kind of confused about what's going on here!! Just want my new knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Does anyone have a Protech Malibu? Interested in your thoughts..
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 am
STILL waiting on my new Guardian 3. Figures this week my neighborhood streets are being milled and repaved (which is nice) but...we had to remove our mailboxes and mail isn't being delivered this week. I have the mail set up to be text notified of what is at the post office to be picked up. My tracking info shows it was attempted to be delivered yesterday, but there is no reference to the package being at the post office. My wife works from home for now with an office set up in the livingroom and she said USPS never drove by yesterday (our dog would have let her know haha!)

Kind of confused about what's going on here!! Just want my new knife!
I have called my local post office and received good service. They even went and physically checked for a delayed package. It's worth a quick call.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
It's become a favorite of mine.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge "flipper guy," but this one deploys easily and reliably.. it works well and I can get behind that. Detent is crisp, action is extremely smooth, and the knife locks up securely. Everything is dialed-in very nicely here.. blade is finished well, ground evenly, arrived very sharp, etc. Protech's manufacturing is definitely on-point. I have the wharnie version. I love the blade shape.. it reminds me of the CRK Insingo shape, but pointier, with mayyybe a touch less belly.. I find the blade shape to be really useful, with a good amount of sharpened blade in a relatively compact package. Ergos are good, not great.. the handle is just a little bit thin/narrow for my hand (YMMV), especially towards the butt-end.. but overall comfortable enough.. the trade-off is that it rides really nice in the pocket. It probably wouldn't be my first choice for any sort of hard/extended use, but for standard edc tasks.. definitely good to go. If had one real gripe, it would be that the aluminum scales are just a little bit slick.. they're not terrible, i've never dropped the knife or anything.. but I would have liked a very slightly more textured scale finish, or maybe some milling to add texture, like on the fancier models..

Overall though, I think the Malibu is a great knife and an easy one for me to recommend. If you can find one in stock anywhere.. I'd say go for it!

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:40 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am
It's become a favorite of mine.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge "flipper guy," but this one deploys easily and reliably.. it works well and I can get behind that. Detent is crisp, action is extremely smooth, and the knife locks up securely. Everything is dialed-in very nicely here.. blade is finished well, ground evenly, arrived very sharp, etc. Protech's manufacturing is definitely on-point. I have the wharnie version. I love the blade shape.. it reminds me of the CRK Insingo shape, but pointier, with mayyybe a touch less belly.. I find the blade shape to be really useful, with a good amount of sharpened blade in a relatively compact package. Ergos are good, not great.. the handle is just a little bit thin/narrow for my hand (YMMV), especially towards the butt-end.. but overall comfortable enough.. the trade-off is that it rides really nice in the pocket. It probably wouldn't be my first choice for any sort of hard/extended use, but for standard edc tasks.. definitely good to go. If had one real gripe, it would be that the aluminum scales are just a little bit slick.. they're not terrible, i've never dropped the knife or anything.. but I would have liked a very slightly more textured scale finish, or maybe some milling to add texture, like on the fancier models..

Overall though, I think the Malibu is a great knife and an easy one for me to recommend. If you can find one in stock anywhere.. I'd say go for it!

Thanks Rick! Great review. I’m keeping my eyes open!
Josh
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

LOL went from wanting a Malibu to having another CRK on the way in a couple days. **** you Chris!
Josh
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Always wanted a Mnandi, one of the most elegant gentlemen knives they make. I’ve handled a few and always loved the Spalted Beech Raindrop my friend had, and well, it’s now mine!
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow Josh!
Congratulations man!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I snagged one of the TRM Neutron 2s in red micarta from the lot that dropped today. Haven't handled an Atom or Neutron yet, so I'm excited to see how I like TRMs.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I should get my CRK tomorrow... Ready to see what the fuss is about
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

TRM Atom Green Micarta. First non Spyderco in a while.

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 pm
I should get my CRK tomorrow... Ready to see what the fuss is about

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I've been looking into getting one too.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 pm
Always wanted a Mnandi, one of the most elegant gentlemen knives they make. I’ve handled a few and always loved the Spalted Beech Raindrop my friend had, and well, it’s now mine!
img]https://i.imgur.com/4zc8BMO.jpg[/img]
Wow, that's awesome, Josh! :thumbsup:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

VBR Knife Skelton.jpeg
I'm waiting for the Varga By Reate knife after seeing Jim Skelton give a positive review. This is my first Reate.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Boker Bog Oak Tree Barlow Pocket Knife with an Acid-Washed Blade.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

For my collection:

Sears Craftsman 45563 Work Knife. This was made by Kershaw in Japan, and is exactly the same pattern as the Chubby they made for Snap On Tools. New on the clam pack; $30 shipped. I figured this was a decent deal.
s-l1600SR945563.jpg
s-l1600945563B.jpg

For use, hard use. Wanted something with a robust, but fairly short blade (at least when comparing to other choppers).

Alien Alloy (small custom maker in AZ selling on the big auction site) Hunting Knife. 5 1/4" long, 3/32 thick O1 blade, 9 1/4" OAL (handle seems a little small?); and a custom sheath. I figured for $55, this would be a good introduction to custom knives. Hopefully, the worksmanship is pretty good.

s-l1600AABK.jpg
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cody6268 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:26 pm
I figured for $55, this would be a good introduction to custom knives. Hopefully, the worksmanship is pretty good.
Fingers crossed for you. If you have a favorable opinion, I might be tempted to get one.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
kobold

Post by kobold »

The Buck Mayo TNT. Very excited to have this knife again.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10