What "others" are in the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kerrcobra

Re: What "others" are in the mail?

Post by kerrcobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:22 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 am
Got a couple Rex 45 Bradford Guardian 3's inbound from GPKnives.
Wow...I did not need to just read that! My favorite little fixed blades in my favorite steel...to GPK I go :spiral-eyes
Yeah, buddy. I've been waiting almost 3 months for these to show up and trying to keep my trap shut the whole time was difficult. Ever since Bradford told me they were in the pipeline.
I had no idea! Was really hoping for a sheepsfoot, only G3 design I don't have...though I do crave one with a Nimbus finish! (wish the Nimbus finished blades came with the black sheath like the DLC blades)
The natural leather sheaths take dye really well. I just dyed one blue, but you should have no problem with dying it black. I used Fiebing's leather dye, and it only cost me about $8 for a bottle and I hardly used much of it. Another thing I like to do with leather sheaths is rub some Hoppe's #9 gun oil into them (I'd assume just about any kind of oil would work), and it gives them a really nice dark brown color plus it makes it pretty much waterproof (although I've not tested that extensively, but I have spilled water on it and it just beads up)
--Jeremy
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Dying unfinished leather is very easy and straight forward, just make sure you let it dry completely and then rub off any excess that you can with an old cloth (to prevent dye transferring to your clothes later).

As for waterproofing leather, I would recommend Sno-seal or Obenauf's LP instead of gun oil.
So it goes.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:26 am
Dying unfinished leather is very easy and straight forward, just make sure you let it dry completely and then rub off any excess that you can with an old cloth (to prevent dye transferring to your clothes later).

As for waterproofing leather, I would recommend Sno-seal or Obenauf's LP instead of gun oil.
Hey man, thanks for this info! I definitely didn't wipe off the excess dye, but I will give it a shot! Also, I'll pick up some Sno-seal or Obenauf's LP to use for waterproofing - I hadn't put gun oil on my dyed sheath yet, so this will do me some good to properly waterproof it.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:42 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:22 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:13 am
Got a couple Rex 45 Bradford Guardian 3's inbound from GPKnives.
Wow...I did not need to just read that! My favorite little fixed blades in my favorite steel...to GPK I go :spiral-eyes
Yeah, buddy. I've been waiting almost 3 months for these to show up and trying to keep my trap shut the whole time was difficult. Ever since Bradford told me they were in the pipeline.
I had no idea! Was really hoping for a sheepsfoot, only G3 design I don't have...though I do crave one with a Nimbus finish! (wish the Nimbus finished blades came with the black sheath like the DLC blades)
I saw the email about these this morning, immediately thought of you Rick. I almost bought one, but I'm about to dump a bunch of money into my car. If they're still around in a month I'll reconsider.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Just picked up a couple Bradford Guardian 3's in M4 from BladeHQ too!
--Jeremy
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

BF 2021 GEC 86 Barlow at some point…
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:45 pm
Lol GEC got it's traditional teeth in you again
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:45 pm
Lol GEC got it's traditional teeth in you again
Hate to admit it, but yeah kind of…luckily it’s to hard to get most of them haha.
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I don't blame you, they are pretty fun
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kobold

Post by kobold »

Victorinox Traveller Lite. I hope this will be the last one! :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Condor Norse Dragon Seax and Spyderco Manbug k390 inbound.
--Jeremy
kobold

Post by kobold »

Victorinox Classic SD Alox. I hope THIS will be the last one, take two! :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kobold wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:17 am
Victorinox Classic SD Alox. I hope THIS will be the last one, take two! :-)
A very good one ^^ I own a lot of the alox version, a lot of Victorinox SAKs in general. The minichamp is in my 5th pocket everyday (normal version tho, the pen is so useful). I recommand the Cadet alox if there is a third take :smiling-halo

As for me : G5 Metamorph mk.II because I wanted a frontflipper to try, this was on sale at my french dealer for 40 bucks.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kobold

Post by kobold »

Hi fellow european! It will go on the key chain. My keys ruined my Rambler. I think I will polish the celidor scales and carry it in a small leather sleeve after that. But I don't mind scratched alox.
Hope you will like the Metamorph.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I got a Ken Onion WorkSharp on the way.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

kobold wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:39 pm
Hi fellow european! It will go on the key chain. My keys ruined my Rambler. I think I will polish the celidor scales and carry it in a small leather sleeve after that. But I don't mind scratched alox.
Hope you will like the Metamorph.
Don't laugh : I bought a titanium "Smartkeys" to stop ruining the scales of every knives I was carrying, now my keys aren't jumping everywhere in my pocket :')
Could've bought a Keybar but it seemed a bit too "big" of a key organizer.

My Classic SD alox came in a pouch from the factory (I had bought it directly on Victorinox's website, i do not know if they always come that way).

PS : wanted to take a pic to show it, but I can't seem to find this little classic ! Might come back later ...

EDIT : Found it !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sent in my Spartan Harsey Folder today. They are going to put 4 inches of Chad Nichols Boomerang damascus goodness for $120!!! CRK charges $250 for a damascus reblade. No thanks. Can’t wait to get it back, they even gave me a one day turnaround once it is in there hands!!!
Josh
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I ordered a Spartan Blades Astor, part of their less expensive line from Taiwan.

Curious as to whether the quality will be on par with Spyderco's Taichung models.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Ordered a Sheepsfoot Griptillian (550) with the hole and all. Received it. Sent it back.

The action is not so bad, but having little to no liners and niolox handle and STILL being that heavy is not that nice feeling. In addition, the "spidey-hole" had a bad finish, with a knob of 0.,5 mm on the inside diameter. Could've fixed it but instead I ordered a zdp-189 endura 4 ^^

bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:06 am
I ordered a Spartan Blades Astor, part of their less expensive line from Taiwan.

Curious as to whether the quality will be on par with Spyderco's Taichung models.
I have the black one. I think it is a brilliant knife. Big and sturdy. Really like it.