What "others" are in the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mikey177

Re: What "others" are in the mail?

Post by mikey177 »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 am
mikey177 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:06 am
I ordered a Spartan Blades Astor, part of their less expensive line from Taiwan.

Curious as to whether the quality will be on par with Spyderco's Taichung models.
I have the black one. I think it is a brilliant knife. Big and sturdy. Really like it.
That's great to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I look forward to getting it in a few weeks.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Finally, after a few months, my Winkler SD2 is almost here.
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Seems like I'm into fixed knives, actually.
I'm really curious, how the BHK Frontier First turns out. We'll see...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 am
Please report back what you think of that knife! I received an email from DLT about those a month or two ago and was on the fence for about a week, but decided to hold off for the time being.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:33 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
Please report back what you think of that knife! I received an email from DLT about those a month or two ago and was on the fence for about a week, but decided to hold off for the time being.
I will happily do that when it's here next week (hopefully).
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

So much for being good. Have a Microtech Hera on the way and a MBK EWC. Interested as heck to try out a front flipper slipjoint.
Josh
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hogue Ballista 1 that I came across a while back . I’m on the learning curve posting images so this pic is a couple months old . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bjz

Post by bjz »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:
I’m looking forward to hearing about this as well!
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

bjz wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:50 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:48 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:
I’m looking forward to hearing about this as well!
So here we are...
Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:49 am
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

- Rick Hinderer Knives Ek Hollow Ground Commando Dagger Fixed Blade Knife 6.5" in 3V

https://www.rickhindererknives.com/prod ... nderer-ek/

https://www.rickhindererknives.com/prod ... n-micarta/

Hinderer Knives/EK Commando

Taking the design and legacy of the John Ek Commando dagger and adding Rick Hinderer’s modern design touch brings you the new Rick Hinderer Knives/EK commando dagger. Being a collector of John Ek knives for many years I have come to appreciate the simplistic approach to his designs. Born from the need in WW2 for knives for our servicemen fighting overseas John Ek developed a knife style that was tough and worked but also a means to manufacture them so as many as possible were able to get in our fighting guys hands.

The John Ek Commando knife company is owned by Ka-Bar so I again went to my friend John Stitt CEO of Ka-Bar knives with the idea of making a collaboration with Ek. I took the simplistic Ek model 1 and using it as a canvas I added features that I thought would be well received by the GI’s in WW2. Along the way that one design morphed into two different models!

The first rendition added a lot of features but still stayed true to the conventional double edged dagger. Starting with the handle I kept the sturdy full tang feature just as the originals with the protruding skull crushed at the end. I also kept the very distinctive scalloped handle scales that is very much Ek. The crossguard was added into the full tang construction thereby guaranteeing a rock solid hold. The blade is where things really depart from the original. I decided on a hollow “ground” double edge and instead of grinding those edge bevels I 3-D milled them which allowed me to also incorporate a “armor piercing” tip! With a deep fuller running the length of the blade it gives it the “I beam” toughness. All this making this Traditional Ek a very capable dagger.

For the second model I decided to depart from the traditional dagger and incorporate some very cool features that I feel the commando’s in WW2 would definitely have voted for! While leaving everything about the handle the same as the first model I made all the changes to the blade on this second model I call the “Hollow Ground” Dagger. What do I mean by that? Leaving the facing side the same double edge on the reverse side I scalloped the entire blade into a wide concave surface. It essentially makes this dagger a “chisel” ground type. And again, all bevels are CNC 3-D machined. This cross-sectional shape is very similar to the “tri” blade bayonets of the 18’s. To complete this very unique blade I added a concave “thumb print” similar to the Case V-42 of WW2.

Two different steels are offered in the series, CPM 3V which has been DLC coated black, and 0-1 Tool steel which has been parkarized just like the vintage knives of WW2!

Handle material for these are Black Micarta and OD Green Micarta.

For sheaths we again turned to our buddy David Brown of Buy Brown sheaths for a incredibly made kydex sheath with Tech-Lok.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Hinderer EK just showed up and it is excellent. Larger than I thought it would be by the pictures and I am very happy with it.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Ricks made some nice fixed blades the last couple of years.
Josh
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:32 pm
I totally agree. He makes wonderful knives, but they're hard to get and pricey. I participate in this hobby of knife collecting halfheartedly because of the costs involved, but they don't grow on trees.

I wanted the Bowie, but the timing on cash available has always been wrong. Maybe by January I'll be able to get one.

This Hinderer EK, when you see it and hold it, you sure as heck know it is an actual weapon. It's really something. I have many knives but so few of them speak to me. The implementation is great, which makes me want to save for the Bowie even more.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:08 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:32 pm
I totally agree. He makes wonderful knives, but they're hard to get and pricey. I participate in this hobby of knife collecting halfheartedly because of the costs involved, but they don't grow on trees.

I wanted the Bowie, but the timing on cash available has always been wrong. Maybe by January I'll be able to get one.

This Hinderer EK, when you see it and hold it, you sure as heck know it is an actual weapon. It's really something. I have many knives but so few of them speak to me. The implementation is great, which makes me want to save for the Bowie even more.
Totally agree, one of his Bowie’s is on my list eventually!
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I ordered a K320 Legion from Hogue today. I have waited months and have not seen the grey drop points anywhere.

Oh, and I almost always refer to the entire SIG Legion marketing campaign as SIG Lesion. :tonque-out
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I said to myself "no more Spydercos" for a month, because I buy pretty expensive ones (for my budget).
Instead, this month is gonna see my first Manly.

S90V (that has been tested) for $48 on a full flat grind coming to a 15° with 0.006" BTE ! I think I'm gonna like this.
Fit and finish isn't perfect apparently from what I've read, I'll tinker it to perfect if needed. ****, I might just make a whole new knife with that blade XD
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Blade HQ exclusive Protech Malibu is dropping tomorrow. Anyone else have their eyes on this one? I was in but I decided awhile ago I only wanted on if it was the wharncliffe version. The one dropping tomorrow is another reverse tanto. The edge shape looks the same but I just don't like how it looks. I was ready to get one but woke up this morning and decided not to. To many other things I'd like to get and I don't need to add another knife. The current plan could change again before the drop tomorrow 🙂
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I was going to order the MBK Pinscher, but saw they QC’d and made some changes on the MBK XLC, so I have my first integral on the way. Curious to check out the Sea Otter next, these guys are really knocking it outside of the park.
Josh
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageBM Adamas just came in this morning. It’s not as big in pocket as anticipated. Sorry for crappy picture, windy and rainy outside. MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau