What "others" are in the mail?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mikey177

Re: What "others" are in the mail?

Post by mikey177 »

This mini parang arrived today from a local maker. 7.5-inch blade in 80CrV2.
ursulo_mini_parang_01.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That thing is awesome! I'd like to take a few hacks with that!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks, Ric. I'm looking forward to putting it to work this weekend.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow Mikey that looks to be very nice!
Looks like super ergo/comfy scales as well
Like Rick said, I would love to take some whacks with that baby. Congratulations man.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, I bought something that I'll actually friggin use, lol - I, like many if yall get a weekly email from the gang at Knives Ship Free (KSF) - probably my favorite dealer because of the top notch customer service - they also offer sezzle which is a game changer simply put. At any rate, this week's letter stated that they got a new batch of Carter Cutlery blades in. Everyone knows Murray Carter. At any rate, it's a neat deal, as he has apprenticeships and they make some really nice blades - it's been in the back of.my mind for a while now to have a Carter kitchen knife. I finally found one I couldn't resist - it's a Slicer with white steel made by Aaron
I really like the looks and specs - the handle/scales are Arizona Desert Ironwood & Blue Kirinite
Here's a couple pics. I hope to have it Monday
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I just got a Creely Mako in Cruwear. Love it!
--Jeremy
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:35 am
I have been eyeing those pretty hard. How do you like the ergos? How do you like the carry in pocket?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That is a sweet looking knife Paul!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:32 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
I have been eyeing those pretty hard. How do you like the ergos? How do you like the carry in pocket?
I've been carrying my Boker AK1 in its sheath clipped to my RFP for some time, and it carries well. This Creely Mako so far carries even better. The knife sits down a little further into the sheath, so less of the handle is sticking out. I've not had any difficulty pulling it from the sheath with the little bit sticking out, but there's also a lanyard hole at the end one could use to aid them with that - if it were a problem. I'm not a lanyard guy at all.

Now, regarding how it feels in hand...is awesome! I have a proclivity for fixed blade handles that taper towards the end of the tang. I have short fingers, and my palm is wider than my fingers are. I'd say I have a size Large palm and between Small <-> Medium for finger length. With all of that said, the palm swell is great, the index finger choil is great, but the taper at the rear of the handle is even too small for my 2 3/8in long pinky finger; however, it's not a deal breaker and with a looser grip, it's not really noticeable. The knife still sits very securely in my hand.

A couple other pros - the blade stock is nice and thin at .10". The edge is ground really thin. I've not pulled out calipers to measure it yet, but just by feel I can tell you it's thinner than anything else I've got (that I haven't modified myself). The texture of the G10 is great, and reminds me of micarta but obviously not quite as "soft" feeling for lack of a better word. I almost always will choose micarta over G10, but I really don't like the look of python micarta. Judging by this handle, I am certain the micarta handle would probably feel even better if I'd been able to get past the looks. The blade grind starts tapering about midway to the tip, which is nice, but this bad boy is already ground so thin. Final thought, I've only had the knife today, but I can already tell you that this guy knows what he's doing regarding his HT of this Cruwear. I have no idea if he does it himself or outsources to someone like BOS or Peter's HT, but this knife is a beast in a small package. I will be buying more.

One more thing, I have 2 of the Boker AK1s, and I have about 25 Bradford Guardian 3s, and about 10 LT Wright Frontier Valleys. All of which have comfortable handles that fit my hand really well, but this knife is my new favorite - which kind of upsets me because I have a Rex45 Guardian 3 that I reprofiled the edge to be nice and thin, and this knife instantly became a favorite over that one. :( 1st world problems at its finest.

Happy to take additional pictures if you have any requests.
--Jeremy
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:49 pm
That is a sweet looking knife Paul!
Thanks man! ☺️
& just think, I'll actually get some use out of it!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

kerrcobra wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:16 pm
JSumm wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:32 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
I've been carrying my Boker AK1 in its sheath clipped to my RFP for some time, and it carries well. This Creely Mako so far carries even better. The knife sits down a little further into the sheath, so less of the handle is sticking out. I've not had any difficulty pulling it from the sheath with the little bit sticking out, but there's also a lanyard hole at the end one could use to aid them with that - if it were a problem. I'm not a lanyard guy at all.

Now, regarding how it feels in hand...is awesome! I have a proclivity for fixed blade handles that taper towards the end of the tang. I have short fingers, and my palm is wider than my fingers are. I'd say I have a size Large palm and between Small <-> Medium for finger length. With all of that said, the palm swell is great, the index finger choil is great, but the taper at the rear of the handle is even too small for my 2 3/8in long pinky finger; however, it's not a deal breaker and with a looser grip, it's not really noticeable. The knife still sits very securely in my hand.

A couple other pros - the blade stock is nice and thin at .10". The edge is ground really thin. I've not pulled out calipers to measure it yet, but just by feel I can tell you it's thinner than anything else I've got (that I haven't modified myself). The texture of the G10 is great, and reminds me of micarta but obviously not quite as "soft" feeling for lack of a better word. I almost always will choose micarta over G10, but I really don't like the look of python micarta. Judging by this handle, I am certain the micarta handle would probably feel even better if I'd been able to get past the looks. The blade grind starts tapering about midway to the tip, which is nice, but this bad boy is already ground so thin. Final thought, I've only had the knife today, but I can already tell you that this guy knows what he's doing regarding his HT of this Cruwear. I have no idea if he does it himself or outsources to someone like BOS or Peter's HT, but this knife is a beast in a small package. I will be buying more.

One more thing, I have 2 of the Boker AK1s, and I have about 25 Bradford Guardian 3s, and about 10 LT Wright Frontier Valleys. All of which have comfortable handles that fit my hand really well, but this knife is my new favorite - which kind of upsets me because I have a Rex45 Guardian 3 that I reprofiled the edge to be nice and thin, and this knife instantly became a favorite over that one. :( 1st world problems at its finest.

Happy to take additional pictures if you have any requests.

That's awesome to here. I have this and the Guardian series on my must have one day.

If you have a Manix, would you snap a comparison pic? That would be awesome.

There was a bunch of Cruwear models at dealers. They have Magnacut on preorder, but I believe the wait was 7 months.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:46 pm
That's awesome to here. I have this and the Guardian series on my must have one day.

If you have a Manix, would you snap a comparison pic? That would be awesome.

There was a bunch of Cruwear models at dealers. They have Magnacut on preorder, but I believe the wait was 7 months.
I'm terrible at taking pictures, but hopefully these will help -

--Jeremy
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Perfect! Thank you!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

6" white #1 petty

:unicorn
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Been eyeing out the Demko 20.5 for a while now, mostly because of the lock. And so I pulled the trigger when I saw in stock the smooth titanium and 3V steel version. Should get to me by Tuesday.
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I finally bought a buyout in May, but it was unfortunately stolen. Ordered a replacement tonight, along with a new PM2.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Unless I get an email saying they oversold, I should have a GEC Tidioute #81 Coon Skinner on the way. Just barely made the purchase in time. 🥵
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Ordered a friction folder and camp knife from BPS Knives, a small cutlery maker out of Ukraine.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I unexpectedly have a large Sebenza 31 on the way... Plain Jane S45VN. It will be my first sip of the CRK Kool-Aid. 🙈
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi