Mountain Biking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Re: Mountain Biking

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:Man, its great to hear all your guys stories, input etc! I hope to get pretty good at cycling eventually. Don't.think I'll compete, but we'll see. My next target bike will probably be the Specialized Rockhopper Sport. After I ride my current DB into the ground that is :rolleyes:
Hey Knivesinedc, Did you manage to get out this weekend?
Yeah actually! Went on a 8 mile ride mostly Sandy trails with some hard packed dirt and a bit of Tarmac. She rode like a dream, handled everything wonderfully and the fork handled everything I went over much better than I expected. It bottomed out maybe 2 times but it was pretty harsh, semi large rocks, for a budget XC bike. Other than that, it was great.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Knivesinedc wrote:
DRKBC wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:Man, its great to hear all your guys stories, input etc! I hope to get pretty good at cycling eventually. Don't.think I'll compete, but we'll see. My next target bike will probably be the Specialized Rockhopper Sport. After I ride my current DB into the ground that is :rolleyes:
Hey Knivesinedc, Did you manage to get out this weekend?
Yeah actually! Went on a 8 mile ride mostly Sandy trails with some hard packed dirt and a bit of Tarmac. She rode like a dream, handled everything wonderfully and the fork handled everything I went over much better than I expected. It bottomed out maybe 2 times but it was pretty harsh, semi large rocks, for a budget XC bike. Other than that, it was great.
Great! that's a decent ride for your first time out. It's such a fun sport, gives you a full body workout as well. I am readying my bikes for the season now, still a little chilly in our part of the world though. Have fun out there.
33S

Post by 33S »

A sincere passion, I hammer thousands of miles annually, only dirt for me, primarily in CO but I hit AZ, UT and WY as well. My primary MTB was engineered the same place as my preferred knives...Golden, CO. ;) [Yeti]. Have one more season ahead on this SB66C...been a phenomenal ride for the past 3 years.

That ol' stumpy rigid with the gum walls a few posts back made me smile.

OP - enjoy that bike and enjoy the life-style...congrats. PS - stick with it for a few years and you will have tens of thousands ($) sunk in this game before you know it. :D

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Nice Yeti SB!
Surprised you don't have a dropper on that rig. I can't hardly live without one now, a lot more fun, and more efficient... Even put on one my XC bike.
Going back to Caly.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpeedHoles wrote:Nice Yeti SB!
Surprised you don't have a dropper on that rig. I can't hardly live without one now, a lot more fun, and more efficient... Even put on one my XC bike.
I will second that! I didn't think it would be that big a deal but my last bike came with one and I have to say it is super convenient.
33S

Post by 33S »

Yeh...I know...been defending my fixed seat-post for the past couple of years but I'm gettin' old and too stubborn (read too stoopid) to change. I ride flats too...what can I say :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Has anyone ever tried to design a "Sand Bike" for mountain biking that would use special wide tires that would allow you to ride on sandy dunes and beaches and deserts?

This is the closest I have seen:

https://gearjunkie.com/beach-sand-fat-bike
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Has anyone ever tried to design a "Sand Bike" for mountain biking that would use special wide tires that would allow you to ride on sandy dunes and beaches and deserts?

This is the closest I have seen:

https://gearjunkie.com/beach-sand-fat-bike
Like this you mean?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... /fatboy-se
SpyderEdgeForever

Wow that is a nice bike!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Wow that is a nice bike!
Sure is! It appears to me that Fat bikes, are becoming a bit of a craze right now. Been seeing a lot of companies produce them. Even seen some at Walmart!
SpyderEdgeForever

When it comes to emergency self-repair of a bike by the rider, say if you were heading out for a long outing in the wilderness, what are some bare basic tools you would recommend one take, as well as any spare parts (such as chains etc) in case some major or minor damage happened to the bike, and you had to do field repairs, but, at the same time, needed to keep your tool numbers as small as possible for carry weight considerations?

Example: I have seen some of these multi-tools with basic tools for mountain bikers and other bicyclists, but would you take something like that, or, a kit of separate tools?

Visual example for you all:

http://www.rei.com/c/bike-multi-tools?r ... ols&page=1
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I carry an old Crank Bros multi-tool, a pump/co2, pedros tire-lever, a spare tube corresponding to the wheel size on the bike I'm riding that day, and a power-link for the chain. For longer rides in rocky areas I bring a spare derailleur hanger and a tire boot.

That's pretty much all you need, unless you're overly planning for other unforeseen catastrophic failures.
Wheel, frame, or suspension failure basically leaves you carrying...

With a 4, 5, 6, 8mm, torx t25, and you can essentially disassemble and reassemble an entire bike aside from bearing removal.
Going back to Caly.