Mountain Biking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Mountain Biking

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What bike and brand would you all suggest to someone who has to keep things inexpensive (say their budget for a bike is maximum 100-200 dollars)as far as mountain bikes go, but wants as high as possible quality within that basic price range? Would they have to basically go a little higher before they can get into a real quality bike? Also, could they get a less expensive bike, and take it to the right shop, and have the folks at the bike shop do some add-ons to make it a little more durable if necessary?
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I am not an expert in that price range, but what I would do is stick to a good brand like, speicalized, trek, giant, Rocky mountain, Kona, diamond back etc. etc. Not a Costco brand or a Huffy or CCM. I would get a hard tall with a front shock but not a full suspension bike because in that price range the suspension will be more for looks than actually functional, it will be heavy and really poorly specked.

I would definitely go used and Pinkbike is a good place to look. Here is an example of a decent bike for a decent price. Its a trusted company, it has some nice extras like disk brakes, aluminum frame and probably a somewhat decent fork and the drivetrain is all Shimano and Sram both great makers. It looks to be in good shape. I would then go to the suppliers website for that year and research it a bit, look at what size you might need etc.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12851803/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... nd-reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you just go to a shop with your budget you won't get a lot of bike for that price and upgrading is rarely worth it, but used ... you have some options. Hope that helps.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DRKBC wrote:I am not an expert in that price range, but what I would do is stick to a good brand like, speicalized, trek, giant, Rocky mountain, Kona, diamond back etc. etc. Not a Costco brand or a Huffy or CCM. I would get a hard tall with a front shock but not a full suspension bike because in that price range the suspension will be more for looks than actually functional, it will be heavy and really poorly specked.

I would definitely go used and Pinkbike is a good place to look. Here is an example of a decent bike for a decent price. Its a trusted company, it has some nice extras like disk brakes, aluminum frame and probably a somewhat decent fork and the drivetrain is all Shimano and Sram both great makers. It looks to be in good shape. I would then go to the suppliers website for that year and research it a bit, look at what size you might need etc.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1875784/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is a better link

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... nd-reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you just go to a shop with your budget you won't get a lot of bike for that price and upgrading is rarely worth it, but used ... you have some options. Hope that helps.
Last edited by DRKBC on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DP
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

DP
Camburt

Post by Camburt »

I used to have a mountain bike. Sadly its stolen now.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

So, my bike came in yesterday. And I can say without a doubt, its very high quality. I was not expecting anything near the quality of what I got. The dérailleurs are smooth as can be and very accurate. I'm still adjusting them some for optimum performance. The V brakes have plenty of stopping power and work well with no squeaking. The seat is unusually comfortable for a stock seat. The tires have a fantastic tread pattern on them and the seem very beefy and we'll made. The tires sid on double walled rims with DB's own branding on the outside. The 27.5 inch wheels are more than capable enough for riding where I live. The fork is nice and plush with a good amount of rebound, although there is a bit of squeaking when its pushed to its limits. I will probably be replacing the stock fork with a Rock Shox 120mm fork in the near future, but for now, it is more than adequate. Overall I'm very impressed with what I got for the money and I will post an update when I get a more extensive and hard ride in. -Jake-
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Nice! have you had it out in the woods yet?
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Congrats on the bike! You will find it very addicting very quickly. I actually have been very little time on this forum and looking at knives in general because I got into riding again last year and got this lovely lady:

I hope you enjoy the new ride and getting out into the woods and on some trails!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

DRKBC wrote:Nice! have you had it out in the woods yet?
Have not gotten a chance yet sadly. This weekend probably. Still getting all the gears set up. I may take it to my local shop this week so I don't screw it up really bad haha.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Just took the bike to my local shop to have it set up. Got charged $20 but everything is basically perfectly adjusted now. Rides like a dream. Ill have my first chance to try it out this weekend on the trails. Ill update my initial thoughts after the first ride there.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Congrats on the new bike! Have you found some good mountain bike specific trails in your area?

This thread needs some photos:
Going back to Caly.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

SpeedHoles wrote:Congrats on the new bike! Have you found some good mountain bike specific trails in your area?

This thread needs some photos:
Those are some awesome shots Holes! Yes I have actually there's a mtb trailhead about a mile from my house. Not too bad
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DRKBC wrote:I think you are on the right track with Specialized. I have ridden a lot of different bikes over the years but my last 4 bikes have all been Specialized.
I have a couple of thoughts:

- would you consider of used?
- Do you ever go on Pink Bike?

I rarely buy new, in fact I don't. There are so many bikes collecting dust out there that I really feel it is the way to go. As far as which model, I would consider a used Stumpjumper.
I can attest to what you're saying "DRKBC" because I had a very good friend who had a bicycle dealership at one time and he used to swear about how good "SPECIALIZED" mountain bikes were. I've been in the market in the past few months and on the lookout for a good used or even new mountainbike and a few of my old friends I used to train with in my old distance running days have still recommended SPECIALIZED as a good quality mountain bike.

Now back when I was still into distance running and did a lot of biking as cross-training there was a brand out there that I heard a lot of the big time triathletes swear by and that was the CANNONDALE, all aluminum Mountain bike. It's been a few years but in many cases quality doesn't die out for some time.

I'm going to do some checking into the subject of mountain bikes because I would like to get up to speed on that market myself. I don't even know if CANNONDALE is even still in business>> they were an American company to the best of my memory and they made a lot bicycle related items i.e. clothing and other gear.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Talking about SPECIALIZED, I still own my very first better mountain bike, it's a 1991 Stumpjumper.
Get's its occacional ride twice a year, but most time it spend its time hanginging on the wall in my study room.

Then I owned a Gary Fisher Mt. Tam and a Votec F7, but for more than seven years I use for sport purpose the German-made Rotwild RCC06.
Some folks might notice the 90s Ringle Moby Deuce seatpost.

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Wow that's a walk down memory lane! I had my first Specialized (a Rock Hopper) in probably the late 80's. Rock solid and probably weighed about 40lbs. Currently I own 2,a trail bike ( a Stumpjumper Pro Carbon Evo) and a downhill bike that I use at the bike park (a Demo 7) The Demo is probably the same weight as my old Rockhopper, suspension and all :-) things have sure changed

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

JD, unfortunately C'dale hit rock bottom a number of years ago and got bought out by Dorel Ind, some giant umbrella corp that also owns many other fallen bike brands like Mongoose and others (among many non cycling companies). They have fortunately kept Cannondale as their top tier brand, and much of it is still good product, but they aren't quite the same company. Schwinn, for example, who was the leader of the world, and now reduced down to just a logo sticker put onto disposable department store garbage. It's misleading for many people.

That's a primo vintage Stumpy, Marcus! Loved the Ringle parts back in the day also, and I still have many. Have that same seatpost, and in red, on an Eastern Woods Research Original Woods Bike... along with many other cnc and anodized goodies, like Caramba Double Barrel cranks, Paul Love levers, Machinetech brakes, etc, etc. Also have a Fat Chance Yo Eddy, among a few other gems from years past.

Coincidentally, like many others here, I am also riding a couple of Specialized bikes, not that I am super biased towards them, but they do have some great models in their current line-up, and I am fortunate enough to have a friend who also is an SBC dealer. :D
Have a new Stumpjumper FSR 650b carbon that I built up with some wider than stock wheels with an Onyx clutch hub, and Renthal carbon bars, etc...
And a Stumpy HT 29 Evo with numerous upgrades, for more XC riding.

Nice shots DRKBC! I'm missing the dirt right now! Would love to get in some resort riding this summer!
Going back to Caly.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Man, its great to hear all your guys stories, input etc! I hope to get pretty good at cycling eventually. Don't.think I'll compete, but we'll see. My next target bike will probably be the Specialized Rockhopper Sport. After I ride my current DB into the ground that is :rolleyes:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

I invented the first mountain bike. Sort of.

Back in the '70s, riders were taking their coaster brake cruisers up mountain roads in the back of pickup trucks to race down the mountain. At that time, my son was BMX racing.

I stripped the rear wheel with five speed derailleur hub and shifter off my sister's '60s vintage Schwinn Stingray and mated them to a spare BMX bike. A knobby tire replaced the Stingray drag slick and I mounted the Stik-Shifter on the downtube to reduce the risk of genital mutilation.

The following year, 1979, MountainBikes was founded.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Knivesinedc wrote:Man, its great to hear all your guys stories, input etc! I hope to get pretty good at cycling eventually. Don't.think I'll compete, but we'll see. My next target bike will probably be the Specialized Rockhopper Sport. After I ride my current DB into the ground that is :rolleyes:
Hey Knivesinedc, Did you manage to get out this weekend?