Why dont companies round off prices???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Why dont companies round off prices???

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I know, I have read and heard the claims that in the eyes of some people 99 cents or 9.99 seems cheaper than 1.00 or 10 dollars, but supposedly most customers in the world prefer round numbers. It would make things easier for the customer consumer if you get a round number. When I buy a knife I prefer to see 50.00 or 60.00 instead of 49.95 or 49.99 or 59.95 or 59.80. What is the deal with this everyone and why won't all companies keep their prices listed in round numbers?
defenestrate

Re: Why dont companies round off prices???

Post by defenestrate »

it's an ancient marketing technique. oftentimes people will see 9.99 and think 9 instead of 10, whereas I would still consider it pretty much 10. This has been proven to work through lord knows how many marketing and advertising studies, so it obviously works well on some folks.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Yep. What Chris said. Kind of a marketing/psychological mind game to help encourage people to buy. For some reason, $32,999 looks a lot more appealing than $33,000. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

About as dumb as listing gas prices $2.69.9!! :eek: John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jmh58 wrote:About as dumb as listing gas prices $2.69.9!! :eek: John :)
..Or not, since as already said it is proven time and time again that it works :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What I find funnier is that almost every time I've rounded off the MSRP of a Spyderco when replying to a thread here, someone will inevitably chime in to correct me. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's to deliberately infuriate those with OCD. :D

It's for the same reason that I will deliberately open a bag of chips/crisps at the bottom when in the office....and listen to the howls of anguish at them being 'upside down and WRONG!'
This makes me, variously- quoting here:
"A <deleted expletive> pervert"
"An evil, evil man- you should be made to sit on the carpark until you finish the bag so I don't have to see it"
"Someone who just wants to watch the world burn"
:D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

demoncase wrote:It's to deliberately infuriate those with OCD. :D

It's for the same reason that I will deliberately open a bag of chips/crisps at the bottom when in the office....and listen to the howls of anguish at them being 'upside down and WRONG!'
This makes me, variously- quoting here:
"A <deleted expletive> pervert"
"An evil, evil man- you should be made to sit on the carpark until you finish the bag so I don't have to see it"
"Someone who just wants to watch the world burn"
:D
My ex-girlfriend (note the prefix EX) used to open a bag of chips by chewing into the side of it like a rat. She had to go. :cool: :D
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Funny, we had a pack rat in camp this weekend that did the same thing to a bag of tortillas. Turned my back & it was chewed in a perfect semi-circle. A rat I can understand, a girlfriend, not so much. Had to work around it, but I do like chorizo & eggs for breakfast while camping....

Met a herd of Mini's on the mountain.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

noseoil.. PM sent.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

defenestrate wrote:it's an ancient marketing technique. oftentimes people will see 9.99 and think 9 instead of 10, whereas I would still consider it pretty much 10. This has been proven to work through lord knows how many marketing and advertising studies, so it obviously works well on some folks.
Yup, idiotic marketing ploy. When I hear or see $9.99, I think $10.oo and not $9.oo

For some stupid reason, the marketing wizards think everyone falls for that nonsense.