Anybody seen any Good Movies Lately?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Anybody seen any Good Movies Lately?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Have not seen to many movies that I'd call good movies in 2015...But I just saw "The Revenant" staring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. The movie was awesome!!! Inspired by true events, "The Revenant" captures one man's epic adventure of survival and the extraordinary power of the human spirit. The movie starts off a little slow but picks up quickly...a must see if you ask me....and I'm not even a DiCaprio fan.....I wouldn't be surprised if his acting comes up for an academy award. (specially liked the grizzly bear attack scene....how sick an I ? LOL) ..... Kudos to film director Alejandro G. Inarritu...Anybody see any else this year that they think will be up for an academy award? Doc:)
Evil D

Re: Anybody seen any Good Movies Lately?

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, The Revenant was awesome. If Leo doesn't win a dang award for this one, someone should riot. That guy is long overdue for an Oscar.

I also saw The Hateful Eight and loved it. I didn't get all caught up in the whole boycott crap surrounding this movie.

Saw Creed a couple nights ago. It was decent but didn't I don't think lived up to the Rocky movies. It was a good try though.

Spectre was decent.

Took the kids to see the Goosebumps movie. It was pretty funny I guess. I like Jack Black so that helps.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

"The Drop" is pretty good. Tom Hardy, Gandolfini's last role before he passed, Noomi Rapace and a couple of Pit Bull puppies do a pretty good job of making a good movie of a short story written about a drop bar in Brooklyn or Queens maybe?

I haven't seen that many movies from 2015 yet. I usually wait until they hit HBO. "Ex Machina" isn't on HBO yet but I did see it earlier. It's worth a watch.

Joe
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Not sure if it's up your alley but you might want to check out Star Wars. I loved it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I didn't like Hateful 8 or The Revenant. Thought they were boring. But then again I don't like most movies. The only movies I saw this year that I didn't hate were Trainwreck and Star Wars the force awakens. Trainwreck bc it was hilarious and made fun of itself and star wars bc it was a great continuation of the original trilogy.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

We just watched "Mr. Holmes" featuring Ian McKellen. It was actually really quite good. (Of course, this might have something to do with my huge appreciation for McKellen as Gandalf from LOTR ;) ).
I'd like to see Star Wars and the Reverant. I used to frequently go to the movies to see all the new shows, but nowadays I'm just satisfied to wait until they are released on Blu-Ray. Lately, it just seems like there haven't been very good movies being released. A lot of "fluff," but no "meat." :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm excited to see The Revanant when I get home in a few days. Some of the movies I saw this year that have a decent chance for the "best picture" Academy Award nomination and that I liked:
  • Spotlight
  • Room
  • Inside Out (for the "best animated film" award)
  • Sicario
  • Straight Outta Compton
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Beasts of No Nation
Good movies I saw this year, but aren't likely going to be nominated for best picture:
  • Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Ant-Man
  • The Martian
  • Ex Machina
  • Creed
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Despicable Me.. and 2 too!!!! :D :D John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

there were few good movies, but Predestination blew my mind
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

I haven't seen "The Revenant" yet, but that is on my short list of 'must-see' movies this winter. Good to get some of your votes of confidence on this one.

----------
Hannibal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

I haven't seen "The Revenant" yet, but that is on my short list of 'must-see' movies this winter. Good to get some of your votes of confidence on this one.

----------
Hannibal
Brother Hannibal! It is great to see you back, my friend! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SpyderNut wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

----------
Hannibal
Brother Hannibal! It is great to see you back, my friend! :)
Ditto +1 Doctor Han, it's great to see you post again my dear friend....I miss you and love you bro!....Doc:)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Force Awakens is good old fashioned uncomplicated fun.

Mad Max Fury Road is excellent too- Oh what a day! What a lovely day!
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc this thread you just put up on "movies" is so timely because here lately I've been blitzed by either a time machine intervention or one of the weirdest coincidal phenoms I've ever experienced here on planet earth :rolleyes: But the other day I went into two of my favorite stores and both of them had blue ray CDs and other memorabilia on one of my all time favorite Stanley Kubrick movies and I'm speaking of the prophetic masterpiece known as "CLOCKWORK ORANGE" :eek: I saw that movie when I was still in high school in the early 70s and it has all eight of us who went to see it freaked out to the max :eek: That movie was truly way ahead of it's time like many of Kubrick's movies were during that era. I highly recommend people who haven't seen it to go rent it and check it out.

Also here lately during the holiday festivities here where I work they have had a blitz of 1970s movies on the TV in the lobby area that really brought back some super memories>> like James Caan's greatest movie ever "ROLLERBALL" ( the original 1975 version) and a couple of really spooky horror flicks that in my opinion are lost classics>> "Children Mustn't Play With Dead Things" and "ASYLUM".

But it's so spooky about the CLOCKWORK ORANGE thing that's been going on with me because I'm seeing icons and souvenirs of that old classic popping up in some of the strangest places in the past 3 months as well. Yes indeed history does tend to repeat itself>> and in a very spooky, creepy way I might add :eek: . Great thread DOC :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

sorry double post again
Last edited by Dr. Snubnose on Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay JD, Clockwork Orange has to be one of my all time favorite movies....I agree Stanley was way before his time...a classic for sure! FWIW I meet James Caan in 1978 when I was in graduate school, in a restaurant Called the "Palms" in LA....My mentor Sol Samuels was a Beverly Hills shrink, Wilshire Blvd practice....and Sol took me out for a Lobster dinner at the Palms, (The restaurant of the stars) Sol was a not only a Beverly hills Shrink but also President of the American Psychiatric Assoc. at the time. His back was to James Caan and I told him, 'hey Sol that's somebody famous" Sol turned around and recognized Caan and waved and as soon as James Caan recognized him he came over to our table...Can't say if James was his patient, I wasn't privy to that info but they definitely knew one another. He sits down at our table and engages Sol in lively conversation, of course Sol didn't have time to introduce me to him, so after a few moments of being left out of the conversation...I stupidly blurt out "hey I know you...your Steve McQueen!" He politely turned to me and said "No I'm not" so I argued with him for a few minutes telling him he was Steve McQueen....Caan and Sol were laughing their A$$es off about my comment...he finally said "I wish I was Steve McQueen and held at his hand to shake and said I'm James Caan" Which I stupidity replied, "I knew that!" and we all laughed again....Then we all ate a most pleasant dinner together....All I can tell you was James Caan was just a delightful individual and a real gentleman throughout dinner ...of course at this point I was too embarrassed to ask for his autograph....LOL, but I treasure the memory....thanks for the memories JD....Doc:)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That is a good story Doc! :)

You are having computer troubles. Any idea what is causing it?

joe
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Mastiff wrote:That is a good story Doc! :)

You are having computer troubles. Any idea what is causing it?

joe
Yah Joe it's either Me....or the Windows 95 I'm running or a combination of both lol.....Doc:)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:"The Drop" is pretty good. Tom Hardy, Gandolfini's last role before he passed, Noomi Rapace and a couple of Pit Bull puppies do a pretty good job of making a good movie of a short story written about a drop bar in Brooklyn or Queens maybe?

I haven't seen that many movies from 2015 yet. I usually wait until they hit HBO. "Ex Machina" isn't on HBO yet but I did see it earlier. It's worth a watch.

Joe

I liked The Drop also. :)

A Walk in the Woods was good.

Fury was great I think.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just saw A Walk in the Woods....Not academy award material...but entertaining nonetheless....sort of....LOL....Doc:)
well.... seeing Robert Redford looking like ****...made me feel younger again......