Anybody seen any Good Movies Lately?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Anybody seen any Good Movies Lately?

Post by Mad Mac »

Saw the original Star Wars in 1977 with my then 5-year old son. Over Thanksgiving weekend, we binge watched DVDs of all six episodes with his two boys. Last weekend, saw the new one in the theater with them and was surprised how emotional it was for me. (First time I've been to a theater since Titanic.)
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just saw the Eight Film by Quentin Tarantino..."The Hateful Eight"....Like EvilD...I loved it!....Great acting, Not for Kids....made "Kill Bill" look like a "Walk in the Woods" with Redford.....Lots of blood and guts, a Little Perry Mason and Little Charlie Chan....then when you least suspect it.....more blood and guts.....Kudos to Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Coggins, Tim Roth, Demain Bichir, Michael Madsen and Bruce Dern....you all deserve awards....Quentin....YOU OUT DID YOURSELF!!!!! Don't miss this one!...and that goes for the Academy as well.....Doc:)
Donut

Post by Donut »

It was pretty entertaining. :)

It has me wanting to see the few films that I missed by him.

Don't forget that it's like a mystery movie. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I really enjoyed the Hateful 8 as well. I got to see it in 70mm along with an intermission. It was a pretty unique movie going experience, glad I went. I'm not sure if I would rank it in the top 5 of his films but he has so many great films that doesn't mean much.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I did manage to pick up a copy of the New Star Wars Movie....I have never seen any of the previous ones....My question is am I'm doing myself a big disservice by watching this one first...or do I really need to see the entire previous collection to appreciate it....Doc:)
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

I just saw Force Majeure on Netflix. slow burn but a good thinking film.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I did manage to pick up a copy of the New Star Wars Movie....I have never seen any of the previous ones....My question is am I'm doing myself a big disservice by watching this one first...or do I really need to see the entire previous collection to appreciate it....Doc:)
It stands alone pretty well.

It might be nice to see episodes 4-6 (the first trilogy) before The Force Awakens, but it's not essential.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

TomAiello wrote:
Dr. Snubnose wrote:I did manage to pick up a copy of the New Star Wars Movie....I have never seen any of the previous ones....My question is am I'm doing myself a big disservice by watching this one first...or do I really need to see the entire previous collection to appreciate it....Doc:)
It stands alone pretty well.

It might be nice to see episodes 4-6 (the first trilogy) before The Force Awakens, but it's not essential.
Right. After all, that is the way they were released. The "middle" trilogy first which was also the most popular, then the first trilogy 1-3, not so popular. I still have my McDonald's Star Wars glass with Princess Leia on a leash held by Jabba the Hutt. Carrie Fisher slimmed down for this sequence and the glass is my EDWG (Every Day Water Glass).

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Saw the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens, right before New Year's Eve... VERY NICE MOVIE! :)

To me, it was like Episode 4 and Episode 1 combined, although it was certainly very unique in its own right.
Although watching Episode 4 would at least introduce you to the base characters that started it all, I don't think you've done yourself a disservice... as already noted, Episode 7, The Force Awakens, stands on its own... in fact, you could say that it's left the door open for a whole new series of adventures featuring the newly introduced characters.

I'd still recommend at least watching Episodes 4 through 6... it'll give a nice presentation of the base characters and may perhaps give you an even better appreciation of the new movie.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Departures
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm not sure what you mean by "picked up a copy of the new Star Wars movie" since it just came out and can only be seen in theatres. I'm hoping it means that you pre-ordered it or something on iTunes. I really, really..REALLY hope it doesn't mean that you downloaded a pirated/bootlegged copy. Because that is theft plain and simple.

So much time, energy, talent, love, thought, care and yes money went into making that movie (like all movies) and it deserves the fee to watch it. It's no different than buying a Spyderco clone. Okay, it is actually worse than buying that because it costs nothing to download. Like I said, theft.

But I'm sure thats not what you meant.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sorry I don't download pirated/bootlegged copies of anything or buy or sell Spyderco clones. The thought that you would even insinuate that I am involved in some kind of theft troubles me.....if you are so sure that my wording "picked up a copy" is not what I meant and means what I think you think it means....why even make a post to comment....I'm greatly insulted....Doc:(
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Sorry I don't download pirated/bootlegged copies of anything or buy or sell Spyderco clones. The thought that you would even insinuate that I am involved in some kind of theft troubles me.....if you are so sure that my wording "picked up a copy" is not what I meant and means what I think you think it means....why even make a post to comment....I'm greatly insulted....Doc:(
Sorry for offending you. What did you mean by picked up a copy?

@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Apology accepted....I actually really did pick up a copy....I picked it up at the Post Office where I have a PO Box as a mailing address....One of my students is a Senior Editor for Walt Disney Studios and Disney Books...My student was raving about the New Star Wars Movie in class and I happen to mention that I had never seen any of the Star Wars Movies (never really had any interest). Last week in my mailbox was a copy of the new movie sent to me by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Inc. from the CS Dept. (whatever that is). The return address was marked Burbank California, 91521. I did not pay for the copy, and I have not seen my student yet as sickness prevented her being in class this week, but I am assuming it was gifted to me from her. Funny thing is I started this thread to see if anyone had seen the movie, and I finally posted my question about the movie to see if I would be doing myself a disservice by watching it before I had the opportunity to buy the previous Star Wars Collection of Movies. Sorry for my snippy reply but I have never been involved in any illegal activity nor will I ever be in the future and I took offense with your comments. No harm done, all is good, let the thread continue...and if anyone is doubting my explanation of what I meant by 'picked up a copy'...I'd be happy to take pictures and post them of the package I received in my mailbox, (minus my snail mail address) still have the movie in the opened original packaging. Doc:)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Hey Doc, you might want to check out Inherent Vice for a bit of 1970's detective flick (Warning! movie might contain Hippies, lol). The Gunman with Sean Penn wasn't bad, had a good knife fight :p :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Wow, Doc! If I were you, I would keep that DVD in the wrapper and go see the movie in a theater where you can enjoy it in full measure. The DVD might be worth something to a collector in the future. After you see the movie, then you can decide if you like it well enough to view the other episodes.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Hey Doc, you might want to check out Inherent Vice for a bit of 1970's detective flick (Warning! movie might contain Hippies, lol). The Gunman with Sean Penn wasn't bad, had a good knife fight :p :D
Thanks for the recommendation Johnnie, I like Sean Penn and I like Hippies and Beatniks too...LOL....still nothing better than a good knife fight for sure...I'll check it out!....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Mad Mac wrote:Wow, Doc! If I were you, I would keep that DVD in the wrapper and go see the movie in a theater where you can enjoy it in full measure. The DVD might be worth something to a collector in the future. After you see the movie, then you can decide if you like it well enough to view the other episodes.
Thanks Mad Mac I didn't even consider that....I think I'll take your suggestion and go see it on the big screen....Doc:)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Apology accepted....I actually really did pick up a copy....I picked it up at the Post Office where I have a PO Box as a mailing address....One of my students is a Senior Editor for Walt Disney Studios and Disney Books...My student was raving about the New Star Wars Movie in class and I happen to mention that I had never seen any of the Star Wars Movies (never really had any interest). Last week in my mailbox was a copy of the new movie sent to me by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Inc. from the CS Dept. (whatever that is). The return address was marked Burbank California, 91521. I did not pay for the copy, and I have not seen my student yet as sickness prevented her being in class this week, but I am assuming it was gifted to me from her. Funny thing is I started this thread to see if anyone had seen the movie, and I finally posted my question about the movie to see if I would be doing myself a disservice by watching it before I had the opportunity to buy the previous Star Wars Collection of Movies. Sorry for my snippy reply but I have never been involved in any illegal activity nor will I ever be in the future and I took offense with your comments. No harm done, all is good, let the thread continue...and if anyone is doubting my explanation of what I meant by 'picked up a copy'...I'd be happy to take pictures and post them of the package I received in my mailbox, (minus my snail mail address) still have the movie in the opened original packaging. Doc:)
That's pretty awesome Doc. clearly I have strong feelings about piracy, and it never occurred to me that you would/could get a copy from Disney themselves. I jumped the gun so to speak. No pictures necessary, your word is good enough for me.

I agree that you should probably keep that sealed and go see it in the theatre. But before you do, I would highly recommend you watch the original Star Wars movies. The originals: Ep4 A new hope, Ep5 the empire strikes back and Ep6 return of the Jedi. You can skip all of the newer movies, Ep 1, 2 and 3. They add nothing to the story and actually make Star Wars worse.

@liquid_cobra
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks Liquid Cobra, I'm going to keep it sealed and see it in the theater, and I'll take your recommendation to watch the original Star Wars Ep4, 5 and 6 first...whose knows maybe I'll become a Star Wars Groupie...LOL....I did like Disney's "Pan"....Doc:)