Stroke

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
noseoil

Re: Stroke

Post by noseoil »

I would have to say that your mother chose you as her representative out of love. She knew you would be there for her, as you are now. You will have difficult decisions to make for her. What Michael has said above is a good point of departure. I don't care what you call it, but there are times (like this) when we all need to ask for some help. Perhaps being strong is really understanding how truly weak & vulnerable we are at these times, admitting it, accepting it, and then continuing with our path in spite of our fears.

No one expects you to do anything but be there for her. The decision about the blood-thinner therapy she needs now is one her body will make, not you or her medical team. You are aware of what can happen, but you are in no way responsible for the outcome or any consequences which can follow.

If you sit by her side & hold her hand you are being a good son. If she knows you are there, it's sufficient, it's good, it's an act of kindness, love & devotion. She's lucky to a have a faithful son.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It sounds like time to get a Sage.

Death seems to be the only thing I believe in, but I tend to ignore it. I hope she has and keeps luck on her side.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am praying for you and your mom and your family and well being David. I always enjoy your posts and discussions on here, too, I want you to know that.

Myself and others here and I know Sal and the team at Spyderco care about you and enjoy chatting with you.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Ill pary for you and your family.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:It sounds like time to get a Sage.

Death seems to be the only thing I believe in, but I tend to ignore it. I hope she has and keeps luck on her side.
Wasn't the Sage about Alzheimer's?

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I'm not sure how to reply to such kindness from "strangers" but it means a lot.

She bad to have surgery last night to relieve pressure at the sight of the stroke. Right now she's on a respirator sleeping on her own, she hasn't woke up but isn't in a coma.

As for death, it's a reality that I'm well aware of. I have had to face the possibility of my own fatality, and this situation now is something I have prepared myself for most of my life because she just goes hard at life and doesn't really take the time to take care of herself. She's selfless to the point of neglecting her own needs and ailments.

So, I'll be here with her for the foreseeable future. It's ironic, there was just a change with my employment a week ago, so I've got nothing but time to be here for her so while I wait and see what happens, I'll be here on the forum poking around as usual.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

David, we will be praying for you. If you need anything (I am across the world) let me know where you are and I will see if I know someone there to help you.

Doc
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Wasn't the Sage about Alzheimer's?

So, I'll be here with her for the foreseeable future. It's ironic, there was just a change with my employment a week ago, so I've got nothing but time to be here for her so while I wait and see what happens, I'll be here on the forum poking around as usual.

Yup, Sage series has an associated donation to the CO chapter of National Alzheimer's Assoc. Since my dad's preliminary diagnosis I have been thinking this is a good reason to flesh out my Sage collection by getting a Sage 2 :D ...Spyderco retail therapy has been happening lately, I get great knives which distract me a bit from the depressing situation at hand and my CC company loves me :( not very responsible, but a whole lot better than binge drinking!

I guess if you're going to have some down time it's not a bad thing that it comes at a time when you're needed so much. we all wish that wasn't the case though.

My memories of surgical ICU are pretty fresh, from my father's heart valve surgery this spring, the nurses were awesome, but the prospect of seeing a loved one hooked up to all of that equipment in a semi-conscious or unconscious state is pretty distressing... hang in there.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

David, I cant tell ya how sorry I am to learn this.
Ill keep you and yours in my prayers.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I am not skilled in the art of typing supportive words. I will pray for y'all.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, it's about Alzheimer's, but I think using one disease to help another disease is appropriate.

I have diabetes and it makes me buy AAA Energizers. They used to sell AAA Energizers that helped pay for breast cancer research. I always opted for those for as long as I could find them.

Change in employment that gives you a lot of spare time? I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't have the life experience or the social skills to even begin to describe my feelings after reading this, I honestly don't. My heart goes out to you and your mother (As well as the rest of your family), and I'll absolutely be saying prayers for the both of you and your family.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
swigert

Post by swigert »

Praying for healing for your mom and wisdom for you in this crazy time. Try to keep your head up. Shoot me a pm if you want to chat more.

We are all here for you! Don't forget it!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Very sorry for what you are going through. Prayers headed your way.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

My mother experienced a very small stroke and it scared the bejeesus out of me, so I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. I wish you and your family much strength and you're in my thoughts.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

My father had his share of related medical issues too so I can empathize. Sending well wishes and prayers to your mother and you. Take care of yourself so you can be there for her.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hey David,

Have been around as much recently, so just saw this. I know we're only aquainted here online, but I'm close, please let me know if you need anything. I hope your Mom pulls through.
:spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have been exactly where you are with my own mother. It was a very difficult time and the best advice I can offer is just keep doing the next right thing. Be present and of service as best you can. I know you are already doing that, just confirming what you are doing. bless
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I'm not good at saying this, but just that thoughts & prayers are sent to you & your mom.
Chris :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

We're definitely here for you, bro. Stay strong for both of you.

Those of you that smoke. Why? My mom had a heart attack and lived, but wouldn't quit smoking, so had another big one - that's all I'm saying. Filthy, stinky ***, obnoxious, deadly habit. I used to smoke, so I can say that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for sharing this, as often these stories have a positive affect on those that read them.

My mom went through open heart surgery a few months ago. She is in very good shape and the risks were low, all things considered, but it was still a scary thing knowing that there is always a chance that something could go wrong, and then the realization that follows that no one is getting any younger.

I'm in fitness, and I know that it's my job to say so, but your health is so ridiculously valuable. The irony is that we, as a society, have never thought so much about it, and never been doing so very many things to sabotage it.

Those medical professionals you spoke of are truly a different breed, and they definitely pay the price physically, mentally, and emotionally, for what they do daily.

It's interesting how a seemingly frivolous thing, like an interest in folding knives, can offer respite from difficult times. I'm glad this forum offers such a respite, and we'll be sending positive thoughts your way.