Rice

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Rice

Post by Doc Dan »

I like rice. It goes with almost anything. White rice will blend with all sorts of food and is good with just butter. It takes gravy very well. I would just as soon have rice as potatoes and a great many people have unknown allergies to white potatoes and do not know it (feel tired, etc). White rice can also be used to make pudding; pretty good, too.
One thing about white rice is that it is not very nutritious. Beri Beri is a disease that used to be a problem in places where the diet was based on rice. The polishing removes the nutrition carrying husk and also the important fiber.

I turned to brown rice (several kinds) and I find it to be a pleasing replacement for white rice and a lot better for you. I next discovered red rice. Now we are talking! It has a pleasing nut-like flavor and is very nutritious to boot. Now, unless it will not go with the food, I eat mostly red rice. There is even a type of red rice yeast that contains Lovastatin, for those trying to keep their cholesterol down.
I have discovered black rice, too. I bought some, but have not cooked any yet. I understand that it also has a nutty flavor.

Nowadays, you can get brown rice already spiced, cooked and ready to go in a pouch to heat in the microwave from companies like Uncle Ben.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kbuzbee

Re: Rice

Post by kbuzbee »

Doc Dan wrote: Nowadays, you can get brown rice already spiced, cooked and ready to go in a pouch to heat in the microwave from companies like Uncle Ben.

Our local grocery started carrying a frozen, organic brown rice like that. It's awesome. I've always enjoyed rice but this stuff makes it way more convenient.

I've done red, black, blue and wild rice too. They are all great but those mic bags can't be beat.

Ken
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yummy. I like rice, both brown, and white, and also other forms such as Jasmine rice and Basmati rice. I like it with Asian foods as well as some American and Latin foods. There is no competition for a well-made dish that features chicken, beans, and rice IMHO.

Doc, do you ever have chorizo with beans and rice?
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I love rice too. Have since a kid. Here in Fiji, white rice is mainly eaten. Quick, but not nutritious.

Brown rice is much nicer, but slow to cook.
A stainless steel 3 litre (Premier Brand), reduces cooking time from 40 minutes to 10 minutes. Great for cooking Dhal (Lentils) for same reason.

The vacuum method can be used. Simply bring to boil, then close vent on normal cooking pot, and rice will slow cook without heat.
Saves fuel as well.
Enjoy.
K
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I love white rice when it is sitting underneath a tasty slice of raw tuna. Or eel. Or snapper. Or...
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Eh, if a Chinese restaurant can make decent sticky white rice, then I like it. Same goes with fried rice. Otherwise I don't mind some cheddar/broccoli rice but that's about it.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

1. Quinoa > any rice
2. Brown rice is not as much better as you think. Research has shown that brown rice is hard to digest. White rice is pretty much a glycemic bomb that insulin sensitive people should eat in moderation...if aesthetics are important to you. I lift/exercise to look good shirtless (I know this is vain) so I limit high glycemic carbs like white bread or rice. Sweet Potatoes and Quinoa are delicious and healthy
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Best rice I get is the Chimes Garden organic trio from Thailand. It's excellent, spendy & delicious if you can find it. Try an Asian market to see if they have some. This is the best rice I have ever eaten, firm, plump, nutty, it's just great rice.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In long term storage I've seen brown / long grain rice go bad but white rice seems to last and last if kept dry and fairly stable. I agree it's not optimal but it sure tastes great when other foods get scarce. :) Nowadays everybody should supplement with vitamins unless you have more control of your food production than most of us. Eating good can be inconvenient but it is worth it.

joe
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I can go to the Indian market and buy all sorts of organic rice from bins. I get brown, red, light brown, black, and etc. I just tell the guy how many kg and he fills me up.

There are many companies now making rice in microwave bags that are pre-cooked. They are awesome. Some are meals in a bag. In the USA they only cost around $1.50 or so. Here, however, they cost many times that.

Yes, some rice can be hard to digest, but do not be fooled. That is the husk. It is pure fiber which we need to colorectal health.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Love Cajun dishes with rice, sushi, fried rice, and meat + gravy + rice based dishes. Never been a fun of "nonwhite" rice or rice as a side dish. I'll have to check out red rice.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hate to be the one that bursts the bubble...but the truth is the truth and there is no getting around it unless you want to fool yourself. Almost all of the different types of rice that have been tested contained measurable levels of arsenic, though levels varied depending on the type of rice.Brown rice has more arsenic than white rice. Consumer Reports found that “80 percent more inorganic arsenic on average than white rice of the same type,” because “Arsenic accumulates in the grain’s outer layers, which are removed to make white rice.”
The level of arsenic in rice varies greatly depending on where the rice is grown. White basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan, and sushi rice from the United States have much lower arsenic levels than other types, and brown basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan has about one third less arsenic than brown rice from other areas.
Rinsing and draining your rice before eating it will remove about 30 percent of the arsenic on it.
Rice has higher arsenic levels than other grains because of the way the rice plant grows, since it absorbs more water than other plants. Arsenic is released into the environment through fertilizers and pesticides, which are then absorbed as the plants grow.
Watch out for all forms of rice, including rice milk, puffed rice snacks, and gluten free flours and products. The report found that rice cereal and rice pasta can have much more inorganic arsenic, (a carcinogen).
Arsenic consumption has been linked to a variety of health issues. Regular exposure to small amounts of arsenic can increase the risk of bladder, lung, and skin cancer, as well as heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Recent studies also suggest that arsenic exposure in utero may have effects on the baby’s immune system.
Children are at a greater risk than adults. Arsenic takes a greater toll on their smaller bodies, and kids are more likely to eat rice snacks and drink rice milk than adults. Babies should eat no more than one serving of infant rice cereal per day, on average, and that their diets should include cereals made from other grains.
Brown rice, on the other hand, has significantly more arsenic than white rice and should be avoided or consumed rarely. Some of the brown rice brands that have been tested contained at least 50% more than the safe limit per serving, and a few even had nearly double the safe limit. Note that some of the worst offenders for arsenic are made from brown rice: processed rice products like brown rice syrup, brown rice pasta, rice cakes and brown rice crisps. These processed products are commonly consumed by those following a “healthy” whole grain rich or gluten-free diet, but they clearly pose a significant risk of arsenic overexposure, especially if a person eats more than one serving per day. Obviously, brown rice is not a food that should be a dietary staple, or even eaten on a regular basis.
The lowest levels of arsenic were found in white rice (jasmine or basmati) that was imported from other countries.
Rice is naturally gluten free, so the most problematic part of many grains is already absent from rice. This makes it generally a safe choice for celiacs and those who are gluten intolerant, but doesn’t mean it is healthy.
At the same time, many people do need some sources of healthy carbs and rice can be a relatively safe option for some. Women especially often see negative effects on hormones from consuming too low carb of a diet for too long, and of all the grains, white rice is a generally safe option for safe carb consumption for those women.
Then there's the fact that white rice consumption has been associated with a higher risk of Type 2 diabetes......Before all of you rice lovers hate me....I better not even go there.....Personally, I consume organic white jasmine rice occasionally (once every two weeks or less).
I typically consume it on heavy workout days or after a lot of activity and always in conjunction with high nutrient foods. I pre-rinse it to help remove some of the remaining arsenic. Doc:)
remnar

Post by remnar »

Food threads should contain pics...sooooo here's some arsenic for you'll. :D

I like white rice but my kids prefer potatoes. :( I don't have any local markets that carry any of the more exotic varieties but I'll take a look the next time that I go shopping in a bigger city.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for the heads up on the arsenic. That is good information. I always wash my rice at least three times before cooking. I cook in water free of any arsenic or other chemicals.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

:eek: I hadn't heard about all the arsenic.

Otherwise, a microwave rice steamer is pretty foolproof.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the arsenic. That is good information. I always wash my rice at least three times before cooking. I cook in water free of any arsenic or other chemicals.
AY Brother Doc from Another Mother....I suggest you up that to 6 to 10 washings before cooking...Or another way is to keep washing and mixing the rice by hand (or stirring utensil) in a pot of water over and over again, draining it between washings until the water looks perfectly clear before cooking.....Doc:)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, that is the traditional way of making rice which we follow.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Then what bodily affects would one see happen to themselves if they do not heed the warnings about the arsenic, and eat huge gobs of the stuff, white or brown rice, and do this constantly, ie, rice for nearly every meal or part of every meal? What would one see happen to them due to the arsenic? Give me best and worst case scenarios, please.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Acute or immediate symptoms of a toxic level of exposure to arsenic will include the following: Vomiting, Abdominal Pain Diarrhea,Dark urine (termed black water urine),Dehydration,Cardiac problem,Hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells)Vertigo, Delirium,Shock,and Death.
Long-term exposures to arsenic lower than toxic levels can lead to skin changes (darkening or discoloration, redness, swelling and hyperkeratosis (skin bumps that resemble corns or warts). Whitish lines (Mees' lines) may appear in the fingernails. Both sensory and motor nerve defects can develop. Additionally, liver and kidney function may be affected.
Arsenic exposure over the long-term has also been associated with the development of certain cancers, and arsenic has been classified as a carcinogen by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Food and Drug Administration says that long-term exposure to high levels of arsenic is associated with higher rates of skin cancer, bladder cancer and lung cancer, as well as heart disease. Studies of people in parts of Southeast Asia and South America where there has been a high level of arsenic in the drinking water have reported an increased risk of developing cancers of the bladder, kidney, lung, and skin.
Long-term exposure to low doses of arsenic may change the way cells communicate, and reduce their ability to function, according to researchers at Dartmouth University. It could play a role in the development of diabetes, cancer, vascular disease and lung disease....Doc:)
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

How you cook the rice makes a huge difference. http://www.nature.com/news/simple-cooki ... ce-1.18034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw the rice from Texas has far higher arsenic than others.

My favorite rice is sticky rice but I also have really come to love rice mixed with millet and buckwheat..