Zombies, Knives, Tools for survival: Thoughts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Zombies, Knives, Tools for survival: Thoughts?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Alright, let's consider this a hypothetical "What if?" discussion, and anyone is welcome to share your views related to what life would be like and how one could survive and escape a "zombie outbreak" of whatever sort.

First of all, when it comes to knives, what knives, Spyderco and others, would be useful for taking down the walking dead or infected or whatever variation of them there would be, and, what other tools would one need or want to stay alive?

How about mini and pocket and full sized prybars for getting into rooms and buildings to escape the walking dead masses? Would you want hardened steel or titanium, full sized or mini?

Remember, in such an outbreak, the name of the game will be escaping those hordes of flesh-eating murderous former people, and so what firearms would be most useful?

I know the web is full of discussion threads like this but its worth a try to learn and share info on this.

Would a Spyderco Police, Endura, Tatanka, and others be good for an emergency combat knife to hit the zombie in the brain and shut it down?

Perhaps an H1 Aqua Salt would be better?

Other issues:

1 Where would be the safest areas to hide out and live in such an outbreak?
2 Depending on what mechanism drives the zombies (supernatural, engineered virus, etc.) and how durable they remain, could they, in theory, wander into the water, and somehow make their way undersea since they don't need to breathe (the traditional walking dead type) and even get to other continents or would that be impossible?
3 Would there be any way to somehow shield or screen oneself from being detected or what is their method of detecting a living uninfected person?
farnorthdan

Re: Zombies, Knives, Tools for survival: Thoughts?

Post by farnorthdan »

I know what I'd do...get as far away from populated area as fast as I could, plenty of remote homesteads around here and that's where I would head, the bush. Plenty of game to survive on and lots of fresh H2o. As far as weapons, knifes are ok but I would want plenty of fire power, an M4 carbine for EDC lots of ammo, a good high capacity semi auto side arm, a good large caliber rifle for reaching out far and a .22 for small game. A good fixed blade and a couple good folders. Again though I think the key would be get as far away from others.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

A machete! Does Sal make a fixed-blade machete?? (He should.)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Mental masterbation at its finest
SpyderEdgeForever

The likelihood is that bacterial decay and lack of metabolic processing for muscles would make such things impossible, though, a sort of super-rabies is possible. But, the deeper issue is this: Would the armed forces combined with citizen population and others be able to quench the plague or would society collapse?
Camburt

Post by Camburt »

Can we kill zombies with knives?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

farnorthdan wrote:I know what I'd do...get as far away from populated area as fast as I could, plenty of remote homesteads around here and that's where I would head, the bush. Plenty of game to survive on and lots of fresh H2o. As far as weapons, knifes are ok but I would want plenty of fire power, an M4 carbine for EDC lots of ammo, a good high capacity semi auto side arm, a good large caliber rifle for reaching out far and a .22 for small game. A good fixed blade and a couple good folders. Again though I think the key would be get as far away from others.
This would easily be my strategy as well. I have my favorite locations, some of which I disappear into with regularity. Never encounter another soul.
Perfect. ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

El Gato wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:I know what I'd do...get as far away from populated area as fast as I could, plenty of remote homesteads around here and that's where I would head, the bush. Plenty of game to survive on and lots of fresh H2o. As far as weapons, knifes are ok but I would want plenty of fire power, an M4 carbine for EDC lots of ammo, a good high capacity semi auto side arm, a good large caliber rifle for reaching out far and a .22 for small game. A good fixed blade and a couple good folders. Again though I think the key would be get as far away from others.
This would easily be my strategy as well. I have my favorite locations, some of which I disappear into with regularity. Never encounter another soul.
Perfect. ;)
I'd likely just head over to the Winchester and wait for the whole zombie thing to blow over. :p (Based on my favorite movie, "Shaun of The Dead").
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Say the "zombies" were based on a biological virus (nothing supernatural), like a mutated (natural or artificially done) form of rabies ; the people were still technically living humans, but, they would be raging, crazed, violent, totally irrational animalistic biters and scratchers that would try to tear you and bite you apart.

Would modern human society (all nations and all governments) be able to quell this with their military and police forces, working with civilians?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Monocrom wrote:A machete! Does Sal make a fixed-blade machete?? (He should.)
Szabohawk, might be an option...

But, in response to your machete request, and with no intent to derail SEF's thread...I'd love to see Spyderco's spin on the Khukri

I can see it now...the spine on the recurve/tip end could be rounded over for ergonomic drawknife use, the Spyderhole could be left sharp for firesteel striking, the straight part of the spine from handle to recurve/drop could be left unfinished with a sharp 90 deg edge for scraping-- plus other ingenious innovations from the minds of Sal, Eric, et. al. for one of the most versatile blades on the planet.

I have a CS Ghurka Khukri in O1 that I modded like above, minus hole of course, and I find myself reaching for it all the time and beating on it like a rented mule...