Rugby World Cup

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gingerninja

Rugby World Cup

Post by gingerninja »

Pretty excited about it here, our team (New Zealand All Blacks) are kicking butt with a stunning quarter final win over France. Just wondering if anyone else is following it.
Johnnie1801

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by Johnnie1801 »

South Africa being humbled by Japan and England not getting out of their pool were great moments, lol. Unfortunately Scotland couldn't overcome the 16 men of Australia, which was a bit of a downer.

The Argentinians looked great against Ireland, if they repeat that performance then I reckon they can beat the Aussies. South Africa have found some form again and are looking strong but I don't think they have the strength in depth to cope with the Kiwi's. Saying that however, New Zealand haven't been tested yet so anything can happen. The improvement in the tier 2 nations has been great to see, I'm glad we didn't see any 100-0 scorlines this time.

One thing that has spoiled the tournament for me is the constant use of the TMO's, it slows down the game too much. If the ref misses something during the game then look at it after the match, that's what the citing commission is for. Also, I don't like how it can change a referee's decision, if the ref gives a scrum for a knock on then he shouldn't be able to change his mind based on a video review and award a penalty and a yellow card instead, (yes I still have sour grapes, lol). The ref's first decision should be final, if it's wrong deal with it after the game. The TMO's were originally brought in to verify if a try had been scored, I just think it's gone too far now.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Johnnie1801 wrote:South Africa being humbled by Japan and England not getting out of their pool were great moments, lol. Unfortunately Scotland couldn't overcome the 16 men of Australia, which was a bit of a downer..
Hi Johnnie

I pretty much agree with everything you have said there about the officiating, it sure has slowed the game down and makes it hard for teams to keep up any momentum they may have made. All that and they still cant get it right sometimes. Dont blame you for the sour grapes at all, it was a crap decision.

It is great there have been no 100 point blow outs and great to see tier 2 nations closing the gap.

I think the Argentinians have got a good chance against the auusies, just hope they can get far enough in front of them to take any bad calls the ref might make out of the equation.

Your right, we (the All Blacks) havnt been really tested so far and to be honest im hoping we wont be but im pretty confident we can beat South Africa on the weekend. It wont be a 50 point thrashing like it was against France but we should be able to soak up what their big ruthless forwards bring and win. Im really hoping Richie Macaw can go out as a double world cup winning captain. Hes a bit of a hero down this rugby obsessed part of the world.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Go All Blacks !!!

Old hard enemies South Africa are next up. Fairly easy run for the ABs yet again - it has been their undoing in previous Cups. Let's hope that it is a good game and they win :)

I would love an Aussie vs Kiwi final - a second Bledisloe/ Anzac final would be tops !!!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yet Joubert was slated for not using the TMO before giving the penalty that gave the Aussies the win against Scotland... the officials can't win! I always relish watching Scotland lose, however, so the decision was fine by me.
Argentina have been fantastic and get my support, but I think only an on-form Aus can beat the All-Blacks. NZ really have moved the game on again but may yet again stumble due to the chronic pressure they're under from home expectations.
England were woeful, but three other of the quarter finalists wouldn't have got out of that group either.
Whatever, the standard of rugby has been so good in the quarters I can't wait for the semis!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I see South Africa have named an unchanged side for the match on Saturday. It should be a great game if the Springboks get their tactics right, if they just go for a pure power game I think they will lose, they need to dominate upfront and get the ball out wide to pressure the Kiwi's. There are going to be some great match ups to look out for, Savea and Milner-Skudder Vs. Pietersen and Habana (Who will beat Jonah Lomu's try record?), Burger Vs. McCaw, the second rows, and most importantly Carter Vs. Pollard.

South Africa need to play the game of their lives but they have already played some tough games (unlike New Zealand) and as underdogs they have nothing to lose.

The Kiwi's just need to play their own game and not get stuck in. Move the ball around, win the breakdowns and keep their discipline. They have a great bench so injuries won't matter so much. I mean any team that has Sonny Bill Williams on the bench must be pretty good.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

For once being here in the Uk has had its advantages. Have watched every game live. Felt for Scotland but bagging the ref is not going to help.
Have also considered the "easy ride" the All Blacks haave had. It is a worry to some extent, but as long as they stick to their game plan, keep the error rate low and stay disciplined, there shouldn't be a problem. Roll on Saturday.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow. Tight game. SA did play well, but not q u i t e well enough.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Argentina were brave enough and hard as nails but once the Aussie machine got into their stride there was no other way it was going to end. I'm guessing the Aussie team knew they had had a game the next morning.
So the World Cup ends up with the two perenial favourites, All Black vs Wallabies. We will know sometime after 4 pm on Saturday.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Conceding 2 tries early on and injuries to key players didn't help Argentina's cause, they were always playing catch up. They have a young team though so they can only get better, I wonder if they have enough left in the tank to surprise South Africa in the third place play off match on Friday night.

Australia played better but their scrum is concerning. South Africa probably have the strongest scrum at the tournament and the Kiwi's dealt with it so I don't give the Aussies much of a chance there. The only chance the Wallabies have is if they can win turn overs at the breakdown through Pocock and Hooper and get their backs running at forwards. New Zealand seem to have peaked at the right time so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Kiwi's will win by +10 points.

Jon
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think it's going to be the battle of the breakdown. Aus may have the edge there, but whether that will be enough we'll see on Saturday. If Aus can rattle the AB then they certainly have a chance.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

I think it will be a hard fought match with a 1st half battle for dominance at evry set piece. All Blacks need to minimise mistakes, remain disciplined and get their lineout working effectively. With any luck it should be an epic game.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

It should be a really hard physical game as both teams are pretty evenly matched across the park. To be honest im pretty nervous about it. However i feel we have an edge in the midfield with maa nonu and then sonny bill williams crashing into them should be to much for the aussies. I also think we have a better lineout. If we can keep hold of the ball in the breakdowns, run hard at the midfield and when they have the ball man handle them over the line to give us the lineout throw hopefully it will be an allblacks win. We have won 48 of our last 53 games but it will all mean nothing if the allblacks dont bring the cup home. Looking forward to a hard fought epic game.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I'm quietly anxious about this game. Would love an ABs win but the Aussies have had a much better lead up in tapering their form with hard fought matches, whereas the Blacks have had a much 'easier' road.
If they can get stability then we can be cheering !
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

To the All Blacks a win, 34-17, enough said.
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

pmel018 wrote:To the All Blacks a win, 34-17, enough said.
Im one very happy kiwi today :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Great game.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

We Win :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Not only impressive on the field, but off it as well.

Sonny Bill Williams gave his cup winners gold medal to a young lad who got floored by an over zealous steward after the final whistle. Picked him up, dusted him down, took him back to his mum.

World class athletes. Hard as nails. Nice guys.

And that's also why rugby is the best game in the world.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

gingerninja wrote:
pmel018 wrote:To the All Blacks a win, 34-17, enough said.
Im one very happy kiwi today :)
Me too!!!! :D :D :D :D