Granite pieces vs Actual Knife Sharpener?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Granite pieces vs Actual Knife Sharpener?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Someone is selling pieces of real granite stone, claiming these are great for knife sharpening. The question is this: An actual sharpening system will allow you to choose the proper angles and such, whereas with the granite pieces, you would have to do that carefully. What are some areas where the granite pieces would come in handy for sharpening your blades? Out in the field?
jackknifeh

Re: Granite pieces vs Actual Knife Sharpener?

Post by jackknifeh »

How big are the pieces? If big enough and the right tools you could flattem some to make bench stones. One thing about stones I've been concerned with for the last few years is keeping them flat so the angle I hole the knife at stays the same. Or as close as I can keep it anyway. The flatness or non-flatness wouldn't be a factor. Having "pieces" of granite or other material would definately require some angle control. I suppose that would depend on the person. While most other respected sharpeners like to keep their stones flat with a diamond stone Murray Carter seems to work at keeping his stones flat by sharpening the knife edge one the corners of the stone when the middle starts to get dished. Seems to me that would require more accuracy in maintaining the angle as well as focusing on keeping the knife edge in contact with the stone on a corner section instead of just one single stroke along the entire stone. As for the granite itself, is there a grit range advertised? Who is selling them? Do you have that info? I'm not in the market for more sharpening stuff right now but it sounds interesting.

Jack
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here you go:

Usually only found in machine shops, the super flat face of the granite surface plate is ideal for leveling small plane beds, flattening waterstones and general sharpening duties. Simply soak a piece of wet/dry sandpaper in water and lay it down on the stone; the capillary action of the water adheres the paper to the stone, eliminating the need for spray adhesives or PSA sandpaper. When done, wipe clean with a paper towel. This A grade plate measures 9" x 12" x 2", weighs 26 lbs. and comes with a surface map. Plate does not have ledges.

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Granite ... B0035Y7OPC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then here is a different one: What do these sound like for sharpening?

All the stones are 6" long in various profiles of silicon carbide (180 grit), iron oxide and aluminum oxide (both 150 grit). Shapes include round, half-round, square, triangular, rectangular and wedges. Note the give-away price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's a granite surface plate not a sharpening stone. You don't sharpen with it, you wet a sheet of wet or dry sandpaper and adhere it to the stone, then use the sandpaper to sharpen the knife or tool. You can sharpen the same way by adhering the sandpaper to your kitchen counter. It may not be absolutely flat, but I doubt your knives would ever know the difference.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!