Klotzli: A Swiss Treasure

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Klotzli: A Swiss Treasure

Post by JD Spydo »

Being we've got the German made knife thread going I thought it was high time we talked about those great Swiss made folders we know as Klotzli.

I have done a thread on Klotzli folding knives annually for the last 2 to 3 years and I always enjoy the feedback I get from you guys about this well kept secret of top quality Swiss made folders.

Without any argument I think it's more than fair to say that Klotzli is truly the king of "carbon fiber" handles. They most certainly have a really beautiful selection of great CF handles along with terrific edge holding blades. You don't see them much here where I live and they aren't that big here in the USA but I do know quality when I see it and Klotzli truly is synonymous with quality. A.G. Russell south of where I live is about the only dealer close to me that even carries any of their great blades.

I'm wondering how many of you guys and gals here in Spyderville have any of their great folders and what you think about them. If I remember correctly I believe Spyderco's original Michael Walker C-22 carbon fiber folder was indeed a collaboration between Spyderco & Klotzli. It would be great if they did another collaboration IMO.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Klotzli: A Swiss Treasure

Post by Doc Dan »

I have seen them on Jays and New Graham's but have never held one in my hand. They have some interesting and attractive designs. I wonder what steel they use?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Pics?
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

JD,

good of you to start that thread, thank you!

Klotzli make some excellent knives. Btw, it's really Klötzli or Kloetzli, one of those nasty German umlauts!
But that's beside the point, knife lovers know their products.

I happen to have two, a folder and a fixed blade, but no pics of the folder.

Here's a link to the folder:

http://www.klotzli.com/en/shop/detail/5 ... a331caa912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, it's in German, although you seem to be able to select English, too, but it simply didn't work for me. But the pic says it all:

a very elegant, light, thin and flat gentleman's folder, although the bowie-like blade may scare some NKPs. But they scare easily, don't they? It's very well made, CF handles, thumb stud for opening, but you can also open it by rolling your thumb over the jimping on the blade spine. Only, but significant drawback, imho: the CF scales are very smooth, there is no choil, the jimping on the back of the blade isn't very effective and I'd be afraid of easily slipping onto the edge with my index finger. More traction would be really very welcome, and that goes for other smooth CF folders, too.

The fixed knife has a rose-patterned damascus blade and hilt, is cord wrapped, blade length approx. 4.5 in. (120mm), handle length approx. 4.3 in, (115mm). The damascus has a beautiful, tight pattern, that's why I bought it. The bowie shaped blade is also nothing for faint hearted NKPs. The edge could do with a Sharpmaker treatment.

I'm not advertising for Hideaways,it's just my only ruler marked in inches and millimeters.

Cheers,
skatenut
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:I have seen them on Jays and New Graham's but have never held one in my hand. They have some interesting and attractive designs. I wonder what steel they use?
That's one thing that puzzles me about Klotzli is that they are still using older steels like ATS-34 and AUS-8 :confused: Their work with Carbon Fiber handles is nothing short of excellent artistic work so why aren't they using newer/better blade steels.

But their unbelievable selection and wide array of gorgeous Carbon Fiber handles is unequaled in the industry to my knowledge. The 3 people I know that own and use Klotzli folders rave about them which is interesting because these people I know could afford any popular premium grade knife. It is curious that they are very limited in availability here in the USA :confused:
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Doc Dan wrote:I wonder what steel they use?
Mine is about 5 years old - ATS34 blade. I'm not a great fan of wharnies so it doesn't get too much pocket time but it sneaks its way into the mix occasionally because it is a really good looking knife.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PSquared wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:I wonder what steel they use?
Mine is about 5 years old - ATS34 blade. I'm not a great fan of wharnies so it doesn't get too much pocket time but it sneaks its way into the mix occasionally because it is a really good looking knife.

Klotzli must have a superb heat treatment and quenching that they use on their ATS-34?? Because most knife producers have abandoned ATS-34 some time ago. I bet it's been at least 14 years since Spyderco last used it :confused: ?

But after checking out one of Bob Dozier's excellent custom blades I quickly realized that not all D-2 is created equal>> so I'm thinking that they must have a super good heat treatment and quenching.

But when it comes to Carbon Fiber scales and overall workmanship I have to respect them immensely. It's workmanship of that grade that drew me to Spyderco in the first place.