All things fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
i am travvy

All things fishing

Post by i am travvy »

Alright so I know I'm not the only person on here that loves fishing. I figured I'd make a thread where everyone can share their rod/reel set ups, boats, fishing carts, fishing stories, tips and tricks.

This is my set up.

These are my rods and reels

From left to right
7'9 Wright and McGill Blair Wiggins series rod with an Abu Garcia cardinal 503albi spoiled with 15 lb fins windtamer line. This is my lure rod.

Carrot stix rod with a shimano sidestab 4000 spoiled with 30 lb power pro. Live bait pole.

#3 has been put to the side for now. Cheap reel broke

Last is my shark rod. Offshore angler rod with a diawa sealine 600h spoiled with about 700yds of 80lb power pro.

I fish mostly inshore for reds, trout, snook ect. But I have been doing a lot more fishing at inlets targeting mackeral, bluefish, sharks, reds. Favorite lure to throw is a gold or silver spoon.

So everyone, what kind of set up do you have and what do you like to fish for?
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: All things fishing

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I like it, I like it a lot!

Let's go fishing and use some Spyderco knives to clean them :)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I like it, I like it a lot!

Let's go fishing and use some Spyderco knives to clean them :)
Where's lance with his dogtag when you need him? Haha
SpyderEdgeForever

When I last went fishing, my kit consisted of this:

5 gallon plastic bucket to hold fish and ice
Carbon Steel bladed Mora Knife for any on site cleaning needs
Basic rod with monofilament line able to handle large fish
Hooks, Floats, Sinker Weights
Sandwich and Fruit and bottle of water

The bait shop carried Mora knives
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

Oh my! A fishing thread!

The one hobby that I have more money invested in than knives/guns.

I don't have pics. But I grew up in a fishing family. One of my prized possessions is my extremely expensive fly rod. But really I use Ugly Sticks the most for trout fishing. I also have over $5000 invested in musky lures. I have a love/hate relationship with muskies.

My funniest story is... I used to live in Orlando, FL. There is a Walmart in Pine Hills on John Young Parkway that is near where I used to work. I went there one day and noticed they had ice-fishing jig poles for sale in their fishing section. Ice-fishing poles in Florida...
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love fishing and it is a toss up which I like better, fishing or small game/bird hunting. When I moved overseas I sold my fly rods and fishing gear, but I kept my Ugly Stick and Shimano reel just in case.

Once, when I was around 9 years old, my father took two other kids and me fishing in a lake. We were in a small boat and saw a bass feeding near the bank. We got closer trying to catch it but got too close. The Bass leapt out of the water like a rocket and right into the boat with us! We kids grabbed paddled and began whacking at the fish, but were hitting each other more often. Finally we got that 5 lb Bass, along with a lot of bruises. What fun!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

question: what's the best way to determine how strong monofilament line you need for particular fish types you're after?
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

It depends on a lot of things. At least to me. Freshwater or saltwater? What kind of fish? Teeth or no teeth? Any structure in the water? Drag system on your reel? For example, I don't use monofiliment as my primary line anymore, I only use it for my leaders. That being said I still take all of the above into consideration. For example, say I'm fishing for schooling redfish on the flats, fish are around 5-10 lbs. I will use 8-10 lb braided line with a 10-15 lb mono leader. If they won't bite I would move down to a smaller weight leader because its smaller and harder for them to see but then I'd rely on the drag system on the reel. Now if I fish for the same species of fish under a bridge I will use 30 lb braised line and up to a 50 lb mono leader. That's because of the occasional 30 lb red that will come by and because of the structure. If it tries to wrap around a pile under the bridge I have a higher chance of my line not breaking with the heavier leader and braid. So it really all depends.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Got invited to go out fishing yesterday with a couple friends and managed to catch this lil guy.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I do all my fishing in small farm ponds here close to home. I think the best reel ever made is the Zebco Omega since I never used one of the bait casting jobs enough to get good at it.my favorite plastic worm that I have caught more Bass on than anything else is the Culprit Macassin
endgame

Post by endgame »

I do mostly surf fishing and tuna fishing.I use a van stall reel large 600 and 10 foot custom lami glass.for tuna a use a penn gold lever and 6 roller ulgly stick.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

endgame wrote:I do mostly surf fishing and tuna fishing.I use a van stall reel large 600 and 10 foot custom lami glass.for tuna a use a penn gold lever and 6 roller ulgly stick.
I'd love to go do some tuna fishing. I see these people in Australia out surf fishing for 200 lb yellowfin and it looks like a blast.
endgame

Post by endgame »

We get them In the hudson canyon .pluss I drive to haterras nc for giant bluefin every year my biggest is 875£ from a fighting chair my biggest stand up is a 275 bigeye and a 210 alison yellowfin
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Sounds like so much fun. We don't really have anything in florida that can match the power of a big tuna. I'd say closest thing would be a gigantic Goliath grouper but they gas out so fast.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I hope this doesn't deviate from what you guys are chatting about concerning the wonderful hobby of fishing. Other than my hobby of collecting and using Spyderco's great blades I also have a fishing related hobby as well.

I also collect and use and I'm a huge fan of German made "D.A.M. Quick" fishing reels and rods. My late uncle got me hooked on their super high quality fishing reels all the way back to 1975 and I haven't used or bought any other brand of fishing reel since. Just wondering if any of you guys ever used their great fishing reels.

Now I also like fishing equipment made by Penn and Abu Garcia. I used to own several of those before I got seriously hooked on D.A.M. Quick's fine equipment. I haven't fished much in the past 2 years but I'm hoping to do some fishing this fall as I'm finally getting some time off from my demanding job.

I've used a lot of great fishing reels and rods in my lifetime but the German made D.A.M. Quick stuff sure is great. They tend to be more popular on the east coast part of the USA and they also have a big presence up in Canada as well. Their reels just don't wear out. The ones I bought in the 70's I"m still using. Something about superb quality that just grabs me.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

I don't see any mutant sea creatures so lance must have missed this thread ;)
endgame

Post by endgame »

i am travvy wrote:Sounds like so much fun. We don't really have anything in florida that can match the power of a big tuna. I'd say closest thing would be a gigantic Goliath grouper but they gas out so fast.

Giant bluefin spawn in the gulf bro.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I've never heard of anyone catching them in the gulf.. hmmmm. I'm gonna have to look into that.
endgame

Post by endgame »

There spawning probably don't feed allot .yes the do catch them time to time
endgame

Post by endgame »

I like youre supermarket rig we use one with big soft weels for our soft sand.no pics but I will check.if you ever in the north east in the spring I will take you striper fishing.thats when the big girls show up.fun as **** from the surf