What constitutes a locking knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Minibear453

What constitutes a locking knife?

Post by Minibear453 »

Question I've been thinking of. So there's obviously knives that lock (liner, back, RIL...) and knives that don't (friction and slipjoint). Now, say I design a knife that is a slipjoint until the user reinforces the lock with his/her hand. At this point, the knife is locked just about as strongly as a traditional locking folder.... what now?
MichaelScott

Re: What constitutes a locking knife?

Post by MichaelScott »

"Just as strong …" not true. A locking knife must have a lock mechanism.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Same concept as a dual action (Benchmade makes a few of those) can be manual or automatic. In the eyes of the law/law enforcement it is an automatic. The example locks, even though not all the time, it is still a locking knife. Thats just my opinion, but I honestly don't see how you could make an argument to the contrary.

EDIT: I originally read that as manually actuates a lock mechanism, not just putting a finger in the way of the pivot of the blade, like a UKPK...there is a big difference there!
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Minibear453 wrote:Question I've been thinking of. So there's obviously knives that lock (liner, back, RIL...) and knives that don't (friction and slipjoint). Now, say I design a knife that is a slipjoint until the user reinforces the lock with his/her hand. At this point, the knife is locked just about as strongly as a traditional locking folder.... what now?
Interesting theory. How do you propose to design it? I don't know about you, but my fingers are made of flesh and bone, and cannot compare in strength to a metal locking mechanism. If it is a locking mechanism that one must manually hold engaged and which will disengage when hand pressure is released, I would still say it is a locking knife, and a liability lawsuit waiting to happen.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I was playing with some designs, and was thinking of more of a set of levers or blocks so that your hand never directly takes the force of the closing blade. I feel like there must be a way to ensure the force of the lock is transferred to metal rather than human. Just curious if such a lock would actually be useful, especially given the non-locking laws of many European countries.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Minibear453 wrote:Question I've been thinking of. So there's obviously knives that lock (liner, back, RIL...) and knives that don't (friction and slipjoint). Now, say I design a knife that is a slipjoint until the user reinforces the lock with his/her hand. At this point, the knife is locked just about as strongly as a traditional locking folder.... what now?
I would say a locking knife is one that is locked open upon opening and will still be locked if you lay the knife down. Just because your hand is wrapped around a friction folder doesn't mean it's locked...try stabbing a tree and see what happens.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No matter how many definitions we come up with, they're all irrelevant. All that's going to matter in the end is how the legal system you've become entangled with views your knife. That's a roll of the dice at best, in some places.

For example, the two closest things I can think of to what the OP described are a friction folder with a long tang lever and a balisong that only latches in the closed position. The first would probably fly in most jurisdictions, but we all know how universally legal the second ones are. ;) :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Is what you had in mind?
http://www.bladehq.com/item--GG-Hawk-Be ... bon--24296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Is what you had in mind?
http://www.bladehq.com/item--GG-Hawk-Be ... bon--24296" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is a ridiculously cool knife. But yeah, would that knife be a locking or non-locking knife?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Minibear453 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Is what you had in mind?
That is a ridiculously cool knife. But yeah, would that knife be a locking or non-locking knife?
Technically, I believe it would be a non-locking design simply because it would remain "unlocked" once the user's hand left the handle. I suppose it would really come down to how it is classified in a legal sense. It IS pretty danged cool though. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There is an organization that I used to belong to but I let my membership lapse and at some point I will renew it. I'm speaking of the AKTI which is an acroynm for the "American Knife & Tool Institute">> in many ways they are the "NRA" of knife owners and users. They have done some extensive legal battles in a lot of different states here in the USA about the legality of what constitutes a "locking folding Knife". You all might want to check out their great website because they have a lot of information on what defines a locking folder. They have successfully in many legal battles proven that a locking mechanisn is actually a safety factor in a folding knife and I 100% agree with them.

All of my user blades are locking folders and I have no intention of going back to slip joint folders or any other antiquated folding knife. I don't give a rat's behind what they say because the AKTI is absolutely correct>> a locking folder is a much safer and much more efficient folding knife than any of the older/antiquated designs of years gone by.

But all of you I highly encourage to check out AKTI's website and see what they have written up about locking folders. They have put it in easy to understand language and anyone who can afford it I also encourage you to consider joining it>> I do intend on renewing my membership here shortly.