Texas Knife Law Preemption Takes Effect Today - Ushers in Greater Freedom for Texas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
critter

Texas Knife Law Preemption Takes Effect Today - Ushers in Greater Freedom for Texas

Post by critter »

Today is the effective date for Knife Rights' signature Knife Law Preemption bill in Texas. Several Texas cities will see their restrictive knife laws voided today. The new law invalidates all municipal and county knife ordinances more restrictive than state law, creating uniform knife laws throughout the Lone Star State. The new law also ensues that Knife Rights' repeal of the state's ban on switchblade (automatic) knives that was passed in 2013 will now have effect throughout the state.

The two Texas cities that made Knife Rights' "10 Worst Anti-Knife Cities in America" list for 2014, San Antonio at number four and Corpus Christi at number nine, have now been removed. Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter said, "Removing two of the nation's worst anti-knife cities from our list in a single act is an example of what can be done when we all work together towards greater freedom in America."

Knife Rights has sent letters notifying elected officials, prosecutors and law enforcement in twelve cities, towns and counties of the change to the Texas Local Government Code. In addition to San Antonio and Corpus Christi, letters were sent to Austin, Dallas County, El Paso, Houston, Magnolia, Melissa, Odessa, Richland Hills, Shenandoah and Texarkana, all of which have now-voided knife restrictions on the books. Knife Rights volunteers continue to comb through municipal and county codes, searching for any other jurisdictions that should be notified of their now-voided ordinances

Ritter said, "We bring this new law to these jurisdictions' attention in hopes of avoiding the illegal arrest and prosecution of knife owners who are in compliance with the new state law but, in conflict with now-voided local restrictions. We have also requested that these jurisdictions repeal their invalidated knife restrictions in order to ensure that citizens are not misled by having an unenforceable ordinance on the books."

The new state law prohibits a city or county from passing or enforcing knife ordinances more restrictive than state law, thereby eliminating the old patchwork of knife laws that acted as a legal minefield for anyone carrying a knife in the state. Residents and travelers in Texas can now be assured that a single knife law applies statewide.

Knife Law Preemption is Knife Rights' most important legislative effort and the foundation for ensuring all citizens enjoy any gains Knife Rights makes repealing knife bans. Restrictive local knife laws serve only to confuse and entrap law-abiding citizens traveling within a state. Preemption ensures citizens can expect consistent enforcement of knife laws throughout the state.

Knife Rights passed the nation's first Knife Law Preemption bill in Arizona in 2010 and has since passed preemption bills in Alaska, Georgia, Kansas, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

Knife Rights' groundbreaking LegalBlade™ App - Knife Laws in America™has been updated to reflect the change in Texas law. The LegalBlade™ App provides guidance at your fingertips to the knife laws in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and 42 cities in the U.S. with restrictive knife laws.

Knife Rights (http://www.KnifeRights.org) is America's grassroots knife owners organization, forging a Sharper Future™ for all Americans. Since 2010 Knife Rights has passed legislation eliminating knife restrictions in 14 states. Knife Rights is also lead plaintiff in a federal civil rights lawsuit against New York City over their persecution of over 60,000 knife owners.

Be the first to know. Get the latest Knife Rights updates:

And, sign up for our FREE News Slice™ Newsletter for more news you need to know.

Knife Rights is making a difference!
Invest a modest sum in a Sharper Future™ to protect your tools and rights.

JOIN KNIFE RIGHTS TODAY!

shunsui

Re: Texas Knife Law Preemption Takes Effect Today - Ushers in Greater Freedom for Texas

Post by shunsui »

Nice work.
RexGig0

Re: Texas Knife Law Preemption Takes Effect Today - Ushers in Greater Freedom for Texas

Post by RexGig0 »

This is well-timed, for me, as I may return to private-citizen status as soon as the end of this year. Compared to many other states, Texas is relatively knife-friendly, so it is nice for all regions within the state to be on the same page.

Perhaps, in the next legislative session, more improvements in knife-carry rights will follow. I would like to see longer blades, double-edged blades, and "Bowie" knives, made OK for carry, whether that would be tied to the Concealed Handgun License system, or made general for all persons. (Yes, a "Bowie" knife is illegal to carry, in Texas, with no clear definition in the Penal Code, so a zealous prosecutor could make like miserable for the owner of anything with "Bowie" in the product name.)

We are resuming canine SAR volunteer work, now that my wife is retired, and it would be nice for big camp knives, choppers, and such, to be clearly deemed OK.
critter

Post by critter »

RexGig0 wrote:This is well-timed, for me, as I may return to private-citizen status as soon as the end of this year. Compared to many other states, Texas is relatively knife-friendly, so it is nice for all regions within the state to be on the same page.

Perhaps, in the next legislative session, more improvements in knife-carry rights will follow. I would like to see longer blades, double-edged blades, and "Bowie" knives, made OK for carry, whether that would be tied to the Concealed Handgun License system, or made general for all persons. (Yes, a "Bowie" knife is illegal to carry, in Texas, with no clear definition in the Penal Code, so a zealous prosecutor could make like miserable for the owner of anything with "Bowie" in the product name.)

We are resuming canine SAR volunteer work, now that my wife is retired, and it would be nice for big camp knives, choppers, and such, to be clearly deemed OK.
We will be back next time with another try for HB 3884 that was not passed this year due to some rather nasty internecine politics. It repeals the remaining "illegal knives" in Texas statute. We are persistent...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Well done!

And a great reason to join Knife Rights.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Great work Doug! If only WI would get moving on theirs. I know its in the works, its pretty ridiculous that you can carry a GUN but not an automatic knife in this state.
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
critter

Post by critter »

MadMaximus wrote:Great work Doug! If only WI would get moving on theirs. I know its in the works, its pretty ridiculous that you can carry a GUN but not an automatic knife in this state.
Thanks. The Wisconsin legislation gets moving again next week with a hearing on the Senate bill.
Last edited by critter on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

critter wrote:
MadMaximus wrote:Great work Doug! If only WI would get moving on theirs. I know its in the works, its pretty ridiculous that you can carry a GUN but not an automatic knife in this state.
Thanks. The Wisconsin legislation gets moving again next week with a hearing on the Senate bill.
AWESOME! Thanks for the update!
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2