Interesting "Ethnic foods" you enjoy?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Interesting "Ethnic foods" you enjoy?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

One of the many good things I really enjoy about the forum here is we have people from all over the world. When it comes to foods, are there any specific "ethnic" foods that you really enjoy? Doesn't have to even be part of your own background.

I like good Tex-Mex food and here is an interesting dish, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with: GEFILTE FISH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefilte_fish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is boneless ground fish formed into cakes or patties, generally oval shaped. Carp and White fish are the common fishes used in making it, along with pike, but other fish types can be used, too.

The best is homemade, ofcourse, when it has a balance between firm and slightly soft. You can also get it in large grocery stores in the jar form.

One thing I like is how many different ethnic cultures have variations on similar foods: Like Italians have the ravioli, and Chinese have the wonton.

I have never really tried African and South African foods, that is something I would like to taste. I was looking at some of the recipes and some of it looks very good.
Evil D

Re: Interesting "Ethnic foods" you enjoy?

Post by Evil D »

I like most typical ethnic foods...Chinese and Mexican and Italian and all that. I guess probably the most interesting thing I have a taste for is real imported Korean ramen noodles lol. I get them from this local store that has a huge selection of imported foods from all over the world.
SpyderEdgeForever

That sounds good. Have you ever had that dish from Chinese takeout places called chow fon? It has the broad flat rice based noodles and it comes with different meats and vegetables, its pretty good.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

If you haven't tried Indian food yet then what are you still doing here reading this go eat!!! :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Particular Chinese food dish. Sunkist prawns. Very good, lightly fried shrimp (prawns) in a sweet creamy sauce with a little bit of orange flavor usually served with egg rolls and chow mein. Very tasty!
SpyderEdgeForever

Johnnie1801 wrote:If you haven't tried Indian food yet then what are you still doing here reading this go eat!!! :D
Oh man I REALLY like Indian food :) I'm glad you mentioned it.

One of my favorite dishes is Kurma, lamb or chicken, which has a sortof yogurt like sauce to it. And the nan and poorhi breads are great. I also like dal (lentil based dish) and this soup, I forget the name of it, it is a very good Indian soup, and the mango chutney pudding.

What are some dishes you recommend, Indian food?
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I really enjoy food from all sorts of places

A good Malaysian satay is hard to pass up
An Indian Tiki Masala with Roti bread is never a bad thing, neither are several other indian curries and Onion Bhajis with raita for dipping is yum
Kimchee is awesome
Good ol sushi is nice
Lots of mexican chilli dishes hit the spot to

Then theres chineese this, vietnames that, Italian, Spanish..........
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Chinese food is about as ethnic as we have here in my neck of the woods. ;) However, I wouldn't be able to enjoy other ethnic eateries even if they were available due to my less-than-steller gastrointestinal system. :o
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Southern "soul food", Italian, Greek, some English foods like "bubble and Squeak" and other stuff my ex wife used to make using left over foods. Bavaria had food I really enjoyed but other parts of Germany not so much. Italian food in Italy wasn't what I expected. I'm more used to Americanized stuff. They wouldn't recognize what we call Italian food. I'll eat about anything when I'm hungry enough but too hot Chile "ghost" pepper type stuff, or too much "curry" cumin, coriander, Cinnamon etc. overwhelms me to the point of non enjoyment. When my ex cooked Curry the house smelled for several days without exaggerating.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is nothing I won't eat and I have tried everything I have ever been able to. I have eaten all sorts of stuff. I am what most people would call an adventurous eater. My father and grandfather were from the old school where you waste nothing and eat organs so I had fried calf brains sandwiches as a kid and other crazy stuff. That said, tripe is a favorite of my father an me and without a doubt my favorite tripe dish is a Mexican stew called menudo (just like the Latin boy band) which is basically just tripe and hominy cook in a red chile broth that isn't spicy. I love it and eat it often.

I also grew up in an outdoorsy family so I have eaten almost everything we could hunt back home like snapping turtle, frogs, rattle snakes, squirrels and lots of different birds.

For common ethnic food I will say that Sushi, Indian food and Thai food are favorites of mine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Mexican food is my favorite. I went to culinary school and worked in restaurants before going back to construction. I have cooked and eaten man different ethnic foods. But I love Mexican, South American, Cuban food. Fresh and bold flavors full of life.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've eaten a fair bit of Iguana with my friends on the Caribbean coast here. They make kind os a thick stew out of them and the eggs are a bit of a delicacy.

As an aside, they hunt them with homemade slingshots. I have been hunting with them several times and it's pretty danm impressive to see!!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:That said, tripe is a favorite of my father an me and without a doubt my favorite tripe dish is a Mexican stew called menudo (just like the Latin boy band) which is basically just tripe and hominy cook in a red chile broth that isn't spicy. I love it and eat it often.
They have something similar here called mondongo. It is jokingly referred to by locals as "Sopa de Culo". :cool:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:If you haven't tried Indian food yet then what are you still doing here reading this go eat!!! :D
Oh man I REALLY like Indian food :) I'm glad you mentioned it.

One of my favorite dishes is Kurma, lamb or chicken, which has a sortof yogurt like sauce to it. And the nan and poorhi breads are great. I also like dal (lentil based dish) and this soup, I forget the name of it, it is a very good Indian soup, and the mango chutney pudding.

What are some dishes you recommend, Indian food?
We have the great fortune to have an excellent Indian restaurant in our little town of 8000 people, most of the food is northern Indian, with a few southern dishes thrown in. My favorites are Boti kebob masala (lamb from the tandoor in a tomato cream sauce, chicken mango (with a salty preserved mango puree) and pretty much anything with paneer in it (paneer is a fresh cheese that is like a cross between fresh mozzarella and firm tofu, it really takes on the flavors of the sauce it's in).

Was the soup Mulligatawny? it's basically chicken vegetable soup with lentils and chickpeas, with a slice of lemon on the finish, also one of my favorites.

If you like Indian, then you will probably like Ethiopian as well, it's not that they are the same, just seems like most people who like one also like the other... and a little bit similar in some ways.

Authentic Greek is amazing, but very hard to find in the Northeast, same with good Mexican/Southwestern :(

If you like rich food, the Austrians make a mac n' cheese sort of dish (well, not really like any mac n' cheese I have had, but it's pasta and cheese in a casserole-ish form) called kasnocken, with home made pasta/dumplings, cheese, speck (sort of a bacon/prosciutto cross), garlic, carmelized onion and chives for garnish, you finish it in a frying pan and let the cheese crisp up on the bottom, keeping the heat at low for the whole meal (at least until it's all gone). This is *not* heart healthy, but man is it good! I sub a mix of emmenthaler and a bit of fontina in place of the Salzburger bierkasse and pancetta instead of speck, you have to make the spaetzle yourself... but it's totally worth the effort!

Unless you hate soup and beef, everyone should try Vietnamese Pho at least once, it's a beef broth over rice noodles, with thin sliced beef (or tripe, tendon, "beef balls", etc.) thrown in to the hot broth raw and topped with Basil, mung bean sprouts, lime and fresh green chilis and sometimes cilantro. It's pretty accessible to those with less daring food preferences as well, since the flavors are mild and familiar, you add the veggies yourself and can easily leave out the peppers or cilantro.

Need I mention Thai? Pad kee mao and Green curry squid are probably the two I like most, but it's all good... don't be afraid of the fish sauce!

great topic, but now I'm hungry!
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

You must be joking "Sopa de Culo"? I'm not going to translate that one for anyone, don't want to get tossed out of the forum today....
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:One of the many good things I really enjoy about the forum here is we have people from all over the world. When it comes to foods, are there any specific "ethnic" foods that you really enjoy? Doesn't have to even be part of your own background.

I like good Tex-Mex food and here is an interesting dish, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with: GEFILTE FISH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gefilte_fish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is boneless ground fish formed into cakes or patties, generally oval shaped. Carp and White fish are the common fishes used in making it, along with pike, but other fish types can be used, too.

The best is homemade, ofcourse, when it has a balance between firm and slightly soft. You can also get it in large grocery stores in the jar form.

One thing I like is how many different ethnic cultures have variations on similar foods: Like Italians have the ravioli, and Chinese have the wonton.

I have never really tried African and South African foods, that is something I would like to taste. I was looking at some of the recipes and some of it looks very good.
I'm irrationally afraid of gefiltefish... which is ironic since I've eaten my Croatian friends' home made cured sardines and love foods with fish sauce in them. The sardines are made by filling a barrel with whole fish and brine, weighting the lid and leaving them to do what they will for an extended period of time, the smell and texture are a bit, uh, challenging? but the flavor in the right dishes is fantastic.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

This is some good stuff to try!

https://youtu.be/rqBbcC-a3bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;