Being politically correct

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

The pressure to be "politically correct" and avoid offending people is...

Is almost always helpful
0
No votes
Helps more than it hurts
7
13%
Hurts more than it helps
24
43%
Is almost always detrimental
25
45%
 
Total votes: 56

User avatar
tvenuto
Member
Posts: 3790
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 am
Location: South Baltimore

Being politically correct

Postby tvenuto » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:58 am

I was wondering what most people thought about being "politically correct." Said another way, how important do you think it is to avoid offending people, insomuch as this causes you to conceal/neuter your actual meaning, or avoid letting your actual thoughts be known at all? (Obviously we all avoid unnecessary offensive actions, such as volunteering that a store clerk's haircut looks bad, using racial slurs, or things of that nature).

I also realize that even answering this (or any) poll honestly requires a certain resistance to worrying about what other people think. Just letting you know the irony isn't lost on me.

User avatar
tvenuto
Member
Posts: 3790
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 am
Location: South Baltimore

Re: Being politically correct

Postby tvenuto » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:19 pm

For the sake of transparency, I'll state that I feel it hurts more than it helps, but feel free to vote anonymously.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21948
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Evil D » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Gotta say hurts more than it helps, but I also think this subject is vastly more complicated than that.

Basically, people need to be respectful to each other, while at the same time people need to just accept the fact that we don't all think and believe the same things, and stop getting so uptight over every little thing that other people do that we don't agree with. It seems that people these days go out of their way looking for things to be offended by, and it's to the point that you have to bite your tongue on every other word you say despite your freedom of speech, for fear of all the other "offendees" mobbing you.

Basically, political correctness has turned the tables around so that the the offended are now offending the offenders but you're not allowed to say anything about it or you get chastised.

My government teacher in high school taught us that, basically summed up, your constitutional rights stop where my rights begin, and that's a real simple way of looking at things, and it's fair for both sides. You can dislike what I do and what I say and what I believe right up to the point where you try to stop me from doing and saying and believing those things, because at that point you've become the very same problem that you have with me. You can call it "two wrongs don't make a right", etc.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I do believe in the phrase "do unto others as you would have done unto you", and I think the world as a whole needs to practice that a lot more. If they did, we wouldn't even need some nonsense like political correctness.

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Being politically correct

Postby OldHoosier62 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Political correctness is a malignant cancer on our free society....it affects how we interact with one another, how the news is reported...etc.

50% (more or less) of our nation has found out that using the "PC" premise that they can essentially shut down any discussion by screaming whatever "ism/phobia" they deem applies to the particular argument at the person/group they disagree with.....because NOBODY wants to be called a racist, sexist, ageist, homophobe...etc, etc, etc,........What would the soccer mom next door think?....

Not long ago in this country we could have rational discussions of differences..."PC" has broken that system of open discourse and replace that with name calling, public shaming (no more than the bullying they scream about) , group think instead of individual opinion. The list could go on and on.

User avatar
jabba359
Member
Posts: 4869
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth
Contact:

Re: Being politically correct

Postby jabba359 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Not much I could add to Evil D's answer, as he summed up my sentiments quite well.
-Kyle

:spyder:
Latest arrivals: DLC M4 Shaman, Opus, Q Ball

http://www.spydiewiki.com

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25333
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Being politically correct

Postby The Deacon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:09 pm

OldHoosier62 wrote:Political correctness is a malignant cancer on our free society....it affects how we interact with one another, how the news is reported...etc.

50% (more or less) of our nation has found out that using the "PC" premise that they can essentially shut down any discussion by screaming whatever "ism/phobia" they deem applies to the particular argument at the person/group they disagree with.....because NOBODY wants to be called a racist, sexist, ageist, homophobe...etc, etc, etc,........What would the soccer mom next door think?....

Not long ago in this country we could have rational discussions of differences..."PC" has broken that system of open discourse and replace that with name calling, public shaming (no more than the bullying they scream about) , group think instead of individual opinion. The list could go on and on.
IMHO, you have summed it up nicely.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

User avatar
Mad Mac
Member
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Contact:

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Mad Mac » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:14 pm

OldHoosier62 has it right.

Political Correctness is a clever device to limit opposition free speech, freedom of expression and the ability to reason. It allows one side to control the dialogue, suppress the discussion and dictate the propaganda. By controlling words, ideas are stifled, clear thinking is muddied and meaningful debate is derailed. History is rewritten. National identity, pride and heritage are obfuscated.

In WWII, the enemy was identified as Nazis and Japs.
Now, the enemy is man-made natural disasters.
Orwellian doublethink has arrived.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, two Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Sharpmaker, Police SE, Small SpyderPac, Ultra-Fine Stones, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, two Large Lum Pink G10, Rubicon. 2017: Battlestation, Orange Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: EuroEdge, ClipiTool Standard, 2019 Calendar Contest Rhino CF PLN.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.

User avatar
Mic1
Member
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Mic1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Evil D wrote:Gotta say hurts more than it helps, but I also think this subject is vastly more complicated than that.

Basically, people need to be respectful to each other, while at the same time people need to just accept the fact that we don't all think and believe the same things, and stop getting so uptight over every little thing that other people do that we don't agree with. It seems that people these days go out of their way looking for things to be offended by, and it's to the point that you have to bite your tongue on every other word you say despite your freedom of speech, for fear of all the other "offendees" mobbing you.

Basically, political correctness has turned the tables around so that the the offended are now offending the offenders but you're not allowed to say anything about it or you get chastised.

My government teacher in high school taught us that, basically summed up, your constitutional rights stop where my rights begin, and that's a real simple way of looking at things, and it's fair for both sides. You can dislike what I do and what I say and what I believe right up to the point where you try to stop me from doing and saying and believing those things, because at that point you've become the very same problem that you have with me. You can call it "two wrongs don't make a right", etc.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I do believe in the phrase "do unto others as you would have done unto you", and I think the world as a whole needs to practice that a lot more. If they did, we wouldn't even need some nonsense like political correctness.
Well said.

User avatar
Monocrom
Member
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:01 am
Location: NYC

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Monocrom » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Screw P.C. and the Thought Police.

wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Being politically correct

Postby wrdwrght » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Being courteous and being politically correct are very different things. I try my best to be the former. The latter needs to go away.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Being politically correct

Postby The Mastiff » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

It's a ridiculous concept that is choking our nation and allows some types a tool for manipulation. PC is a tool of those destroying our way of life and hopefully will be destined for the scrap heap of history. It has no power unless one allows it to.

PC shouldn't be confused with simple politeness and courtesy. They are good. PC is never good.

User avatar
Archimedes
Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Archimedes » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:09 pm

It was an idea the leftist communist progressives created to control free speech. It worked. Most people are scared to speak freely now.


I'm not...LOL.

User avatar
Dr. Snubnose
Member
Posts: 8761
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: NewYork

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Dr. Snubnose » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Mad Mac wrote:OldHoosier62 has it right.

Political Correctness is a clever device to limit opposition free speech, freedom of expression and the ability to reason. It allows one side to control the dialogue, suppress the discussion and dictate the propaganda. By controlling words, ideas are stifled, clear thinking is muddied and meaningful debate is derailed. History is rewritten. National identity, pride and heritage are obfuscated.

In WWII, the enemy was identified as Nazis and Japs.
Now, the enemy is man-made natural disasters.
Orwellian doublethink has arrived.
Couldn't have said it any better....But I do have a problem with being politically correct.....Nobody I ever vote for ever gets in Office!!!!!......That said I'm the furthest thing from PC.....I don't believe in it....So no one is safe from me!!! As a wannabe comedian I always claim comedic license....so I get away with murder...and everyone likes it...Doc:)

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9788
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Being politically correct

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:42 pm

It is a balancing act. If I have to call it like it is I will but you do have to pick your battles too. I am always polite and respectful and I will be a little PC if I need to be because of who I am around or where I am but I agree that ultimately it is a negative. One of the biggest problems our country is currently facing is the fact that we seem to have the inability to have a rational conversation about much of anything. Having to be PC is just another obstacle to honest discourse. It seems like everybody's cop out is to play the victim these days.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5347
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Being politically correct

Postby The Mastiff » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:42 am

It seems like everybody's cop out is to play the victim these days.
Yes. Very much so. It's a tool to club someone with. An excuse for not having skills or a logical argument. It's a cry for help from others who feel like victims themselves. It can provide validation and a false sense of camaraderie with others of similar thought processes. It can help keep the delusion going too. Our society no longer seems to call out the people living in their delusional state and gives them excuses for not attempting to self correct. Mostly though it is about manipulation of others.
Mad Mac wrote:OldHoosier62 has it right.

Political Correctness is a clever device to limit opposition free speech, freedom of expression and the ability to reason. It allows one side to control the dialogue, suppress the discussion and dictate the propaganda. By controlling words, ideas are stifled, clear thinking is muddied and meaningful debate is derailed. History is rewritten. National identity, pride and heritage are obfuscated.

In WWII, the enemy was identified as Nazis and Japs.
Now, the enemy is man-made natural disasters.
Orwellian doublethink has arrived.
This is the bottom line.


Social warriors are the judges of thought and speech now and attempt to deny whatever they think goes against group think and will even attempt to deny others of livelihood and safety over words or acts they deem assaults and violence. Using the wrong word can now be called a violent act in some places.
The term "i'm offended"has become a weapon of sorts. From one article looking at the problem from a cognitive behavioral therapy perspective:
Because there is a broad ban in academic circles on “blaming the victim,” it is generally considered unacceptable to question the reasonableness (let alone the sincerity) of someone’s emotional state, particularly if those emotions are linked to one’s group identity. The thin argument “I’m offended” becomes an unbeatable trump card. This leads to what Jonathan Rauch, a contributing editor at this magazine, calls the “offendedness sweepstakes,” in which opposing parties use claims of offense as cudgels. In the process, the bar for what we consider unacceptable speech is lowered further and further.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nd/399356/

User avatar
kbuzbee
Member
Posts: 4762
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Mentor, OH

Re: Being politically correct

Postby kbuzbee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 am

I can't add to the great points already made. I will just say "terrific topic"!

Ken

User avatar
skatenut
Member
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Being politically correct

Postby skatenut » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am

Well said, excellent, educative post, can't add anything useful.

sbaker345
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Being politically correct

Postby sbaker345 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Evil D wrote:Gotta say hurts more than it helps, but I also think this subject is vastly more complicated than that.

Basically, people need to be respectful to each other, while at the same time people need to just accept the fact that we don't all think and believe the same things, and stop getting so uptight over every little thing that other people do that we don't agree with. It seems that people these days go out of their way looking for things to be offended by, and it's to the point that you have to bite your tongue on every other word you say despite your freedom of speech, for fear of all the other "offendees" mobbing you.

Basically, political correctness has turned the tables around so that the the offended are now offending the offenders but you're not allowed to say anything about it or you get chastised.

My government teacher in high school taught us that, basically summed up, your constitutional rights stop where my rights begin, and that's a real simple way of looking at things, and it's fair for both sides. You can dislike what I do and what I say and what I believe right up to the point where you try to stop me from doing and saying and believing those things, because at that point you've become the very same problem that you have with me. You can call it "two wrongs don't make a right", etc.

I'm not a very spiritual person, but I do believe in the phrase "do unto others as you would have done unto you", and I think the world as a whole needs to practice that a lot more. If they did, we wouldn't even need some nonsense like political correctness.

Bingo, I was going to post, but I can't really top this. Political correctness has lead to the idea of "you have the right to believe as I do". You see folks speak in support of laws against speech or views they find offensive as furthering freedom for those offended, but fail to consider the possibility they may not always hold the dominant view.

User avatar
kbuzbee
Member
Posts: 4762
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:37 am
Location: Mentor, OH

Re: Being politically correct

Postby kbuzbee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:12 pm

sbaker345 wrote: fail to consider the possibility they may not always hold the dominant view.
I don't think that's exactly it. More that the "dominant view" is seen as inherently evil and oppressing and needs to be quashed.

Ken

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5556
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Being politically correct

Postby Surfingringo » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Statements of obvious truth (even if backed by demonstrable facts and evidence) must now be held back because some group will claim offense. Hell, we even walk on eggshells on the internet or risk the wrath of the pc police.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: VashHash and 11 guests