Protection while walking

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Protection while walking

Post by Doc Dan »

Pepper spray is a must. A good hickory walking stick would be a good idea. Even the crooked kind make formidable weapons. You could also get a 21 inch ASP baton. I carry an ASP daily in my pocket because of the 2 legged varmints, here, and pair that with pepper spray in the other pocket. The knife is a last ditch resort.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
paladin

Post by paladin »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:A good Flame Thrower...will work to keep most things at abeyance, and it will light the way, (blerv: how many candlepower Lumens is that?) Just strap one on your back and take a stroll.....Works for me!.....Doc:)
Doc, I don't ever remember seeing a FT in one of your epic pocket dump threads??? :confused: ;) thanks anyways, I always appreciate your sense of humor & enjoy your comments :)
Doc Dan wrote:Pepper spray is a must. A good hickory walking stick would be a good idea. Even the crooked kind make formidable weapons. You could also get a 21 inch ASP baton. I carry an ASP daily in my pocket because of the 2 legged varmints, here, and pair that with pepper spray in the other pocket. The knife is a last ditch resort.
I have one of those Army Surplus grade ones. However, Doc Dan, not sure the ASP would be legal in my locality...Tenn. has an "intent to go armed" clause encoded and carrying a tac. baton in a state park and trying to explain to a ranger that I was intending on pounding tent stakes...well, it would get kinda sketchy at that point...

Gonna pull the trigger on some pepper spray, now I gotta just settle on a brand/formulation :confused:

Thanks for the professional ad-vice you 2 good Doctors...will ya'll accept PayPal for my co-pay? :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread reminded me that I've always wanted a self defense umbrella.

https://youtu.be/bO8G5zsQohg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

[/quote] I have one of those Army Surplus grade ones. However, Doc Dan, not sure the ASP would be legal in my locality...Tenn. has an "intent to go armed" clause encoded and carrying a tac. baton in a state park and trying to explain to a ranger that I was intending on pounding tent stakes...well, it would get kinda sketchy at that point...

Gonna pull the trigger on some pepper spray, now I gotta just settle on a brand/formulation :confused:

Thanks for the professional ad-vice you 2 good Doctors...will ya'll accept PayPal for my co-pay? :p[/quote]

That may be. I used to live there and never had an issue. However, a hickory walking stick is legal everywhere and you can brain just about anything with one. I believe ACE Hardware still sells the hickory variety.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:A good Flame Thrower...will work to keep most things at abeyance, and it will light the way, (blerv: how many candlepower Lumens is that?) Just strap one on your back and take a stroll.....Works for me!.....Doc:)
LOLOLOL, As a young Marine I was trained and used both the M2A1 and M9-6 flamethrowers and I wholeheartedly agree with the above....simple, effective and easily refilled at the local truckstop. Korean BBQ anyone??? Perhaps some "long pig" ??? The only issue is they tend to be a tad heavy on long humps....maybe pull a little red wagon for it to sit in for the older members.

I'm not blerv, but I can safely say the lumens = whole bunch+
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

TN has the ability to get a baton certification. There is a class involved and once completed allows the carry of saps and blackjacks which work way better than any ASP baton
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Power head shark stick it works on big sharks.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:This thread reminded me that I've always wanted a self defense umbrella.
I bought one :). The telescopic one with the built-in glass breaker tip, lol. In all honesty it's the nicest umbrella I've purchased. VERY heavy-duty and a bit heavier than the average one.

My brother wanted to know if it was actually viable and decided to hit himself in his thigh. He buckled and was limping around for a while; it goosed up pretty bad. This from the guy who does the exact same test with an escrima rattan stick and doesn't flinch.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Blerv wrote:
Evil D wrote:This thread reminded me that I've always wanted a self defense umbrella.
I bought one :). The telescopic one with the built-in glass breaker tip, lol. In all honesty it's the nicest umbrella I've purchased. VERY heavy-duty and a bit heavier than the average one.

My brother wanted to know if it was actually viable and decided to hit himself in his thigh. He buckled and was limping around for a while; it goosed up pretty bad. This from the guy who does the exact same test with an escrima rattan stick and doesn't flinch.
Ill have to get one of those. Too cool....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

MacLaren wrote:Ill have to get one of those. Too cool....
For sure :). The non-telescoping one in the "economy" version is only like $90. Polymer ribs and a non-hardwood handle.

Funny thing is I bought mine as a total gimmick (I think I was drinking ). It ended up being just a super high quality umbrella with a dual-purpose. I usually take it downtown in the non-summer months and it's a nice sense of security. Also, not that much more expensive than the designer ones that can't split a watermelon in twain. :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Blerv wrote:
For sure :). The non-telescoping one in the "economy" version is only like $90. Polymer ribs and a non-hardwood handle.

Funny thing is I bought mine as a total gimmick (I think I was drinking ). It ended up being just a super high quality umbrella with a dual-purpose. I usually take it downtown in the non-summer months and it's a nice sense of security. Also, not that much more expensive than the designer ones that can't split a watermelon in twain. :D
Lol, no doubt man ;)
Gotta figure which one I want.
paladin

Post by paladin »

what's the cover made of? Kevlar?
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i usually carry a spydie almost wherever i go. the black pac salt PE is my constant companion when i go out on sweaty runs, jogs and my stretch during casual walks as my final and lethal means of SD. it usually takes a few seconds to deploy especially if youre caught by surprise, this is why i also wear kuba-kickz on my running shoes as an initial deterrent to both 2 and 4 legged attackers. a good kick on the shin/knee on bipeds as well as on the rib cage of quadripeds would definitely hurt like **** and make them take their attention off you for a few vital seconds enough to deploy and prepare your more lethal option.
this way, my two legs/foot provides longer reaching non-lethal defense, strong arm has the shorter-range lethal remedy while the left hand i can use for grabbing, pushing or deflecting strikes/bites.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I dug out my old spray cans. Now they dribble but don't spray. Have new pepper spray coming from Amazon.

Dogs. Spray first, shoot last.

Bears, just quickly vacate the area.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

I'm a Dog lover so please don't think otherwise..
When I was a kid, a neighbours dog was attacking and killing our chooks. My Father also loved dogs as well, so rather than shooting it, we waited until it came back. Dad sprayed it with Mineral Turpentine (rear end) and that dog was last seen running and howling dragging its gonads on the ground..

I spent several years finding bi-peds and slapping paper on them. (subpoenas) Law didn't allow me to carry weapons (New Zealand). This includes pepper sprays.
Didn't have many problems with the Bi-peds, but lots with dogs. The Perps. seem to like nasty dogs for some reason :rolleyes:
Resorted to a water pistol with turpentine. Works front AND back.
Only used when my other methods didn't work out.
$#@$! Corgis were the WORST by far. Nasty ankle biters.

Quite often in Prison, I would sit down and chew the fat with some of the Crims. When talking about dogs, some of the Burglars would claim they used Chefade cooking spray to spray in dogs faces to pacify them. Never tried it so don't know if it works.
Was told that if a Pit Bull latched on, the way to get it to let go, is to stick a water bottle in it's mouth and squirt water in so it has to open mouth to breathe..

They reckoned that the quickest way is to stick your finger into its anus to make it let go.

Never tried this, but if someone does, get back to me and let me know how you get on.. :D
Cheers, W
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:

It is sort of gimmicky, but the beauty of it is that it is still a high quality functional umbrella, so you just use it as such and carry the peace of mind that if you had to whack a dog with it you won't break it in half. I've had far too many standard umbrellas break just from high winds.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Blerv wrote:

It is sort of gimmicky, but the beauty of it is that it is still a high quality functional umbrella, so you just use it as such and carry the peace of mind that if you had to whack a dog with it you won't break it in half. I've had far too many standard umbrellas break just from high winds.
Exactly David....honestly, its hard to find a decent umbrella.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Blerv wrote:

Just ordered one from a german shop, which saves me from having to go thru the customs rigmarole.

Thank you, Blerv!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:It is sort of gimmicky, but the beauty of it is that it is still a high quality functional umbrella, so you just use it as such and carry the peace of mind that if you had to whack a dog with it you won't break it in half. I've had far too many standard umbrellas break just from high winds.
Exactly. For the price it's just a very well constructed italian umbrella that will take a beating from weather or...something else.
skatenut wrote:
Just ordered one from a german shop, which saves me from having to go thru the customs rigmarole.

Thank you, Blerv!
Very fun! :D
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Careful Blerv! I think you might be turning into a Bond villain, you'll be buying a bowler hat next :D

Last edited by Johnnie1801 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon