Killer Robots: Views?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Killer Robots: Views?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Without crossing over into politics, what are your views on the idea of using autonomous all-terrain robotic systems that go beyond merely gathering battlefield data, but, actually use varied weapons to destroy enemy targets, ie, war robots? I have been reading pro and con articles and info on it.

There is one group that wants to ban killer robots:

http://www.stopkillerrobots.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I have also read information that says this is good because it means less soldier casualties. One of the main issues seems to be the moral grounds of judgement: Should a battlefield robot or droid be programmed to make actual decisions as to killing a potential threat, or, should that judgement always be in the hands of the human? Imagine robotic police, robotic soldiers, and such walking, flying, swimming, and climbing around and are programmed with the laws and also knowledge of various targets.

There would be a great use for rescue services: Rescue droids that can compliment human rescue workers to locate and save people from dangerous situations like floods, avalanches, earthquakes, etc.

Check out the robots made by Boston Dynamics, like the walking dog. When I first watched the videos of it...it was very eerie to watch a machine system move like that!

http://www.bostondynamics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bostondynamics.com/robot_ls3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a question: Would you personally trust your safety to an advanced version of these machines? I guess it depends on the programming and circumstances.
Evil D

Re: Killer Robots: Views?

Post by Evil D »

If the "good guys" can use robots to save human lives, so can the "bad guys". Then you have a life sized video game.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
There is one group that wants to ban killer robots:
All I want to do is point out that we haven't successfully banned killer humans yet, despite our best efforts. So, ban or no ban, what's possible will be done eventually.

Skynet will attempt to kill us all.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I don't know if I'd trust a robot........but the link was very interesting to say the least....actually fascinating....Thanks for the post.....Doc:)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I just thought of this: wouldn't this just delay the human war by a month or so? I mean once both belligerents had exhausted their supply of warbots, why wouldn't they then use their human soldiers to fight? Or are we assuming by this time in the future that we're all so lazy and out of shape that wouldn't be an issue?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I think it best to say.....hopefully we have robots and they have human soldiers and no warbots.....hopefully we don't sell them any warbots, even though that would be very politically incorrect these days....:( Maybe in this case we could be lazy and out of shape..... let the bots take over the world...... They already conquered the "Wide World Web".....Doc:)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I think it's high time we ditched the "boys rules of war" and started killing those who would harm us as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible while keeping our people completely out of harms way. Nothing should be off the table, not autonomous weapons, not drones, not chemicial, biological, or nuclear weapons.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I think it's time we all learn to get along. Then again, gotta feed the multi billion dollar a year war machine. No wars to fight, groups like Lockheed Martin have nobody to sell jets, bombs, and aircraft carriers to. We already let people kill others in emotionally detached ways with drones.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

This might get into politics, but I vote no, especially if not directly soldier controlled. You open up the possibility of hacking, war would be won by who had the best hackers. Not to mention, for us paranoid freedom types, the fact they lack the morals of a soldier is terrifying. Most military personal would never turn their weapons on peaceful citizens, a warbot would fire upon anything it was programmed to.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

The Deacon wrote:I think it's high time we ditched the "boys rules of war" and started killing those who would harm us as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible while keeping our people completely out of harms way. Nothing should be off the table, not autonomous weapons, not drones, not chemicial, biological, or nuclear weapons.
That is almost word for word the kind of speech you hear from the guys in Guantanamo Bay.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:I think it's high time we ditched the "boys rules of war" and started killing those who would harm us as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible while keeping our people completely out of harms way. Nothing should be off the table, not autonomous weapons, not drones, not chemicial, biological, or nuclear weapons.
I agree, Paul. Unfortunately, I believe our current society is locked into a perpetual tailspin of political-correctness that deems this type of reasoning as "inappropriate" or "unfair." Where's Harry Truman when you need him?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

There is this guy named Joe Michael who designed what he calls "Fractal Robot Cubes". He made some large prototypes that sortof moved around, made of steel, they were cubes with motors and drive gears and would move in different directions under software control. He wrote up papers and has a vision of self replicating robotic cubes that would scale the size range from microscopic able to fit inside human arteries, on up to human sized, and it was very interesting to say the least. I don't know what became of this.

He wanted to see a world of self reproducing automatons that would allow the human race to spend time doing whatever we desired, while the robot cubes would do all the menial labor.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I have no problem with killer robots as long as a human is operating it. Autonomous killer robots scare the **** out of me.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Clearly, some people have never, ever seen even one single science fiction movie.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Regardless of how it pans out, I'd be talking to the marketing team about calling them 'Killer Robots'...

"3 out of 10 guys, must try harder" ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Skynet is going to have a lot of cool toys to play with.
remnar

Post by remnar »

If killer robots were to take over, I'm sure it would be just like this. :D

https://youtu.be/qN-3TwvmT7A
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I don't trust anything that was created to think, due to being programmed but such a reckless creature as Man.