Has Anyone Else Moved to Windows 10 on a PC yet?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pinetreebbs

Re: Has Anyone Else Moved to Windows 10 on a PC yet?

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Last night I fired up my Win 7 64bit box and asked for the upgrade. I ran a few updates first and now I'm waiting for MS to schedule the upgrade.

I tired to get the update on my other Win 7 box, but it has some issues. It's running Bionic and I'm inclined to leave it alone. It runs 24/7 supporting the Quake Catcher network of seismographs. http://qcn.stanford.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:I've found using a bit of care (ESET virus protection) and buying good machines (Asus, Lenovo, etc) makes the PC life with Microsoft products less painful.

If I had to go back to using a Dell laptop and running McAfee I would quickly look for any alternative. Whether different OS, hardware, or moving into the woods with an abacus...

I can understand that.

I only ever really bought one premade PC and that was a Laptop, I build my own, always have since the i486 days so I don't have the issues that most people do in general.

Never cared for the normal boxes people buy (Enter Brand names), worked on way too many of them over the years.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Only issue in having so far with windows 10, my ancient printer no longer communicates. Ah well I'm overdue for an upgrade there too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ankerson wrote:
Blerv wrote:I've found using a bit of care (ESET virus protection) and buying good machines (Asus, Lenovo, etc) makes the PC life with Microsoft products less painful.

If I had to go back to using a Dell laptop and running McAfee I would quickly look for any alternative. Whether different OS, hardware, or moving into the woods with an abacus...

I can understand that.

I only ever really bought one premade PC and that was a Laptop, I build my own, always have since the i486 days so I don't have the issues that most people do in general.

Never cared for the normal boxes people buy (Enter Brand names), worked on way too many of them over the years.
Yep for sure. My wife has a custom PC tower that's about 5 years old. Been tough as nails and easy to upgrade.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

I can understand that.

Yep for sure. My wife has a custom PC tower that's about 5 years old. Been tough as nails and easy to upgrade.
Yep, pick the right parts and they last. :) :cool:
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Well, I ended up going back to Windows 7. The crashes were becoming more frequent, and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet. I'll either wait until they get some of the bugs worked out, or I'll just wait until I get another computer. This one is getting a bit old anyway.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

StuntZombie wrote:Well, I ended up going back to Windows 7. The crashes were becoming more frequent, and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet. I'll either wait until they get some of the bugs worked out, or I'll just wait until I get another computer. This one is getting a bit old anyway.

I am sure NVidia will get it worked out, driver update coming in the future or something.

I remember some years ago ATi had some of the same issues and they got it worked out in time.

The older drivers seemed to work fine until they worked out a fix if I remember correctly.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

StuntZombie wrote:Well, I ended up going back to Windows 7. The crashes were becoming more frequent, and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it yet. I'll either wait until they get some of the bugs worked out, or I'll just wait until I get another computer. This one is getting a bit old anyway.
You might want to use drive cleaner http://www.howtogeek.com/171816/htg-exp ... d=noscript" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or drive sweeper http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266- ... eeper.html to remove all old driver files before trying again. This is particularly true for any system that has had both Nvidia and ATI drivers installed.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'm using a Silicon Dust HR Prime cablecard tuner box to record HD cable tv with Windows Media Center in Win7.

Apparently Microsoft is dropping WMC support starting with Win10. I guess they stopped development back in 2009 or something. Funny because I just started using it and it's a pretty nice little system. I guess there aren't enough geeks around anymore.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

I don't know if it has been said. And I don't know if I'll be able to be clear enough.
But I suggest not moving to Windows 10.
If you got a virus for example, you'll have to install windows again.
But which one ? the previous, it won't work.
And Windows 10, as it was offer for free, the move. You do not have it. So you can't install it back for free.

At the beginning, I was wondering why they were making the move for free.
Now, it make sense....
$$$$$$$$$
:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D