Motorcycles

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Motorcycles

Post by tvenuto »

All this scooter talk in the main forum got me reminiscing...

I used to own a Suzuki SV650s, and I loved that bike. It was silver like the one pictured, and I bought it used. None of these pics are of my bike, but they show what I'm talking about.

I did a bit of work on it; it had been down on one side, and the rear turn signal was broken off. Those silly stock undertails are ridiculous anyway, so I replaced the whole thing with one of those illegal flush undertails. The rear license plate just barely peaked over the rear wheel, but I never had any trouble over it.

One of the bar ends was also a bit messed up so replaced the mirrors with some that mount on the end of the bars. They looked a bit quirky, but I didn't mind, and the view in the mirrors was vastly improved (that is, I could see something other than my shoulders). I also replaced the stock grips with some stickier grips, which improved the feel. There were also a bunch of minor repairs, like a cable, and a nut here and there, but I don't really remember those.

The SV650s was a really great bike. It was a 650cc V-twin, which tend to be a bit less "buzzy" than the standard sport bike, and have a flatter torque curve. As such it was far more forgiving of letting the RPMs drop, and it wasn't a big deal to find yourself in the wrong gear from time to time. I remember reading someone describe it sounding like an "angry sewing machine" and I have to agree with that description. It was water-cooled, so it didn't have any of the overheating issues of an air-cooled set-up. It did manage to get plenty hot in the summer though, so I have no idea how you people ride those air-cooled hogs.

The SV was light and nimble, I remember someone commenting that "my CBR goes exactly where I tell it, my SV knows exactly where to go" and although I didn't really ever ride a true "sport bike" I do have to say that the SV was very easy to control, not being detuned racing bike like the sport bikes most people ride. I mentioned the quirky looks already, and the SV definitely had some interesting features, such as the garishly oversized chrome muffler. But, like our beloved Spydercos, the quirks are endearing when they all work together to functional perfection. Everything was where you needed it to be, and there were no superfluous features to get in the way. I've always liked the "cafe racer" "naked bike" "street fighter" style of bikes anyway, and the "S" version, with the clip on bars, bridged the gap between sport bike and naked bike and didn't look out of place in either group.

I sold it pretty much for what I paid for it (bikes and Spydercos seem to be like that), because I was starting my business and still working my day job and had no time to ride. I miss the full body awareness that was required during a ride. Like one of those magic eye prints, during a ride you think about everything, and nothing, and you see everything, and nothing. I think it's because you're living in the moment, and very little of those individual moments get committed to memory. You also smell the street, and the cars, and the inside of your helmet and leather. You truly find out what they mean by the "heat island" of a big city; only motorcyclists know exactly where that boundary is.

I miss it dearly when the weather is nice (rarely), but with new responsibilities and a job that demands my entire body be healthy, I wonder if I'll ever ride again. Something tells me I will, even if it's when I'm 50 and seeing my daughter off to college. I've still kept all the gear, just in case. ;)
Peter1960

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Peter1960 »

tvenuto wrote:Something tells me I will, even if it's when I'm 50 ...
LOL ... nothing wrong with your future, with 50+ you will enjoy every ride even more :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have always been a fan of the more obscure Standard and Sport-bike configurations. The SV was no exception. I personally like a V-4 for its power and torque characteristics, but the V-twin is a class of its own. I have a few hundred miles of seat time on my brothers Superhawk (V-2 1000cc) and it had great ride-able power and the sound was beautiful.

Forgive the bad pic.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

This was mine when I still had her, kept the girl! Wife still looks like this 10 years and 2 kids later! :) http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/posting ... =5&t=68305#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
P7280439.jpg
Scan 5 - Version 2.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

In this crowded city I found I no longer needed the raw power that many bikes put out today. I need something light and nimble that gets good fuel economy. I bought a Honda CB500F and I am so happy with it. I get 55mpg (sometimes more) and the bike is so agile, I can lean into a curve and leave more powerful bikes in my dust. In traffic it darts between cars, over obstacles, and between lanes like a smaller motorcycle. Now that I am getting older, I no longer want to lean over on my bike. I want to sit up and be comfortable. So, I changed the handlebars. I put the bars from the CB500X on my bike and this helps me sit up more. I also found it helps tremendously with seeing around traffic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JohnnyGeek

Post by JohnnyGeek »

My R6...

-----
My Spydies: Embassy Auto C121S (Grey) | Embassy Auto C121S (Silver) | Stretch FRN ZDP-189 C90BL (Blue) | Manix 2 1st SF 154CM

My Wishlist: Embassy Auto in Black | Vallotton Sub-Hilt | Ramco/Laguiole | Hungarian
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I've always loved bikes, you pretty much nailed the zen feeling one gets when in the wind. Got my first bike in the early 70's when I was 12, a Honda trail 90 and have had one ever since, bikes have come and gone but the thrill has never left. Been riding Harleys the last 24 years currently a 02 softail deuce but still have my 91 sportster, also have a couple dirt bikes. I'd really like to pick up a BMW R1200gs next and do a little traveling.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have quirky taste...I have a deep inner lust for late '70s Z1000's, particularly the ones with all the crazy fairing like the Mad Max bikes.

I'd ride the wheels off this bike

Drool
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Im 43. But, when I were younger I, wanted a bullett bike so bad. Back then, it was the "Hurricane". Man, I so wanted one. Grew up on dirt bikes. Well, two to be exact. A Honda 50, in 1977 and later an XR 75 in 1982. The 50, my dad bought new. The XR 75 a good used one. Man, I loved to ride....
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I had a few big single cylinder on/off bikes over the last 15 years:

Honda XR600R
KTM 640 Adventure
BMW G650 Xchallenge

It was my daily traffic tool (commuter) and play bike for 6 years and 55000km.

I traded it for another Beemer, a F800GS, my current bike for the last 2 years and 35000 km.

I rode a BMW R1200GS for a few years too, but it was just too big to play with in the dirt.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
remnar

Post by remnar »

I sold this one a couple of years ago. The plan at the time was to get a new sport-touring bike, but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't anytime soon. A dual sport may find its way into my garage a little sooner. :D

PSquared

Post by PSquared »

tvenuto wrote:Something tells me I will, even if it's when I'm 50
I've just turned 49 so I'm going to guess that what you say will turn out to be true ....

My 650GS Dakar is waiting for my return to South Africa. While I'm in Mauritius, a Honda CTX 200 will need to suffice.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I rode motorcycles in the early 1990s. I tried three Harleys, which was what several co-workers rode, but then settled upon BMW as being a better fit for me. My riding was limited due to being a single dad, with custody of my young son. It seemed a shame to let it sit so much, so I sold my BMW R100R, which was either a 1993 or 1994 model.

Now that my son is grown, and I am nearing retirement, I am remembering riding, and revisiting BMW bikes, though I would consider others. A couple of my co-workers, with whom I used to ride, and another friend who owned a motorcycle clothing/accessory shop, have already retired, and moved to northern Great Plains states; now, the road is calling me.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If anyone's feeling well-off, check out the Ariel Ace - it uses the fantastic Honda V4 1200 engine in a cast alu trellis frame. Girder forks and various geometries are part of the options list.
Toured the mountains of northern Spain earlier this year - my mates Crosstourer V4 THUNDERED through those mountain passes - awesome!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In reverse chronological order: 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV purchased June 2012, sold July 2014, 2001 Yamaha TW200, 2002 BMW F 650 GS, 1998 Yamaha V-Max, 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha 175 Enduro that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

I've quit riding, three times. This time I think it is going to stick. My main ride was a 1998 V-Max I bought new when I was 50 that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many adventures. You can read a report about my tour of the western half of the United States in 2003 by clicking on the picture below. An expurgated version was printed in American Motorcyclist.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mad Mac wrote:An expurgated version was printed in American Motorcyclist.

And you sir win the word of the day with expurgated. I personally love words with a primary, let's call it practical, meaning, and then a more colorful secondary one. For instance you might mean that you had some morally questionable anecdotes included in the original article that had to be removed to print it in a magazine. Brazen is like that as well, commonly (and almost always) meaning brash, but also: like brass in sound or color. Maybe I'm a word-nerd, but expurgated made my day!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

tvenuto wrote:Maybe I'm a word-nerd, but expurgated made my day!
Thank you. Hyperbole is my weakness.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.