So I did some walking... and thinking...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

So I did some walking... and thinking...

Post by uhiforgot »

So the miles were passing under my feet in a somewhat agonizing manner. The scenery was amazing, but it didn't ease the fact that the air was thin and I needed food. So my mind started to wander, but only enough to not forget to keep my feet on the path.

Why had I come here? Well, that seemed obvious enough; I enjoy this particular variety of misery. The wilderness is my playground, and it's quiet. My God, is it quiet. No low hiss in the background from the sound of the dozens of surrounding freeways; no sirens, no helicopters, no roaring engines, no people yelling at one another or even having loud and inconsequential conversations with one another...

...for the first time in nearly a year I could hear my own thoughts, and I could hear myself think about how beautiful the stars were without light pollution. I could even hear myself start to think about the people I've lost touch with...

...and so came to my mind a staggering and borderline depressing list of individuals with whom I haven't spoken in far too long including old family from here on the forums. There are even a few old friends whose children once called me "uncle," but now they may or may not even remember my name or face anymore...

And into my mind happened a time from last October. I found myself in a tent, wrapped in a synthetic sleeping bag that was well past its useful lifespan, freezing my tuchus off but, nonetheless, enjoying the quiet, and hearing myself be able to think about the next day when I would make a 30-minute drive into the town of Golden, Colorado. No doubt I would tour the Coors brewery and enjoy some of the local culinary fare, but this was my pilgrimage; this was the town I wanted to visit for the past 10 years.

This was the journey that, for all I planned to enjoy it, I didn't remember to take a single picture...

But, for the first time in my life, I got to set foot in the SFO; I got to lay eyes on the cases full of sharp and shiny tools that once haunted my dreams with their glorious utility; I was privileged enough to shake the hands of the two people that started it all, and to see a very dear friend again. Even my girlfriend, who is able to appreciate edged tools but might not share my level of enthusiasm on the matter, was still enchanted by the place and its people; to this day she'll still go on about how much fun it is to talk with Gail.

Now my hour of glory transpired while bringing with me the bouquet of a man that had spent 3 days camping in the nearby mountains without bathing. For that bit, however, to all that were in the building at the time, I am sincerely and profusely sorry. Really. I'm serious. I didn't realize until afterward when I was basking in the glow of knife-driven sensory overload on the way to dinner.

And yes, on the way to Beau Jo's for dinner (as everyone at Spyderco unanimously recommended), I did make sure to honk the horn when going through each tunnel. One or a few of you will understand ;)

To make the story (if it could be called such a thing) shorter and arguably sweeter, I left this forum long ago to get a handle on my spending. In the years since then I have done so slowly but surely and, yet again, slowly but surely I'd like to find my way back to the family that all hangs out in Sal's living room, and it took me being able to hear my own thoughts again to realize that.

Here's a few pictures from the adventure in which I finally started remembering again.

In before someone says "tl:dr" ;)
Stuart Ackerman

Re: So I did some walking... and thinking...

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Well written...
And rather nice pics!
I am more than a tad envious... :)

I hope to get to SFO one day... :cool:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow! Thanx for sharing :)
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I enjoyed reading that, thank you for sharing your thoughts and pictures. Amazing scenery!

Dan
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Great story, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your future contributions. I feel like we're experiencing a renaissance of sorts; after all that talk of declining "atmosphere" there have been many new contributors, some returning contributors, and a lot of new stuff to talk about. A great time to be a forumite!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Butterman, Was wondering where you drifted off to.....Very nice post and pics...Glad to see your back from the wilderness and back to the Spy Forum.....Doc:)
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Great read, great pics.

Cool you found your way back to Sal ' s living room.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea that was a great read, sure looked like fun And I like your laid back attitude and your humble demenor which I find refreshing, I look forward to hearing more.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay Butterman, Was wondering where you drifted off to.....Very nice post and pics...Glad to see your back from the wilderness and back to the Spy Forum.....Doc:)
Good to see you too, Doc.

It has been an interesting journey away from the forums, and I wish that all of it had been spent in the wilderness; big cities really aren't my thing, as I've come to find.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

tvenuto wrote:Great story, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your future contributions. I feel like we're experiencing a renaissance of sorts; after all that talk of declining "atmosphere" there have been many new contributors, some returning contributors, and a lot of new stuff to talk about. A great time to be a forumite!
I can't really imagine the atmosphere here ever "declining," per se. Perhaps a period of decreased activity as a whole, but the community here always seems to have self-maintained as far as keeping one another in a good place. It was actually strange to stray away from here for the very first time years ago and see how caustic certain corners of the internet could really be, but it makes me all the more glad to actually be back :D
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Thanks to all others for the positive vibes and thoughts. I've evolved quite a bit in the time I've been gone, and hopefully able to bring a bit more of the positivity that this place is accustomed to along with a new maturity (but not without the occasional shenanigans).
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Welcome back!

Great pictures--I have always wanted to visit the Sierrra. Roughly where did your route go?
remnar

Post by remnar »

Love the photos, thanks for sharing!
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Thanks for the fine photos and well-crafted contemplative post.
(although you threw me with the "30 minute drive to Golden")

Beautiful area, especially when outside the lottery permit season. When the hordes are tramping, one can find plenty of solitude nearby, e.g Langley, Russell etc. Win-win, winter or summer.

I pulled up a few quick comparison pics from previous hikes to correspond with yours:

Here's what wind and snow will wreak when you leave the hut door open: (this is an older door, your pic's is a replacement)

Thanks again for the pics and post.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Welcome back!

Great pictures--I have always wanted to visit the Sierrra. Roughly where did your route go?
Started from Whitney Portal and hiked up to camp at Lone Pine Lake the first day. Next day we pushed up to Whitney Trail Camp (should be renamed "Camp WagBag"), and the stretch between Outpost and Trail camps was the most technically difficult of the entire trip. Was very easy to lose the trail as it was haphazardly simply traced across granite boulders at some stretches. The switchbacks leading from Trail Camp to Trail Crest were not as grueling as most people say (although I had almost no attention span that day, so might have just forgotten about the difficulty). From Trail Crest to the summit was the least technically difficult of the entire trip, but the altitude made it increasingly difficult to move since, despite eating like the gluttons that we are, we were severely undernourished.

It was one of those trips that we did not because we were up for bagging a peak, but because it's a rather prized permit to get. We actually failed to get our permits in the lottery the past 3 years, so this was kind of a treat, but definitely not any variety of a silent getaway.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

nicked.onaut wrote:Thanks for the fine photos and well-crafted contemplative post.
(although you threw me with the "30 minute drive to Golden")

Beautiful area, especially when outside the lottery permit season. When the hordes are tramping, one can find plenty of solitude nearby, e.g Langley, Russell etc. Win-win, winter or summer.

I pulled up a few quick comparison pics from previous hikes to correspond with yours:

Here's what wind and snow will wreak when you leave the hut door open: (this is an older door, your pic's is a replacement)

Thanks again for the pics and post.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
Actually thank YOU! This looks like a gorgeous place to be in the winter time, and while we discussed on the way back down that we really didn't need to do this particular trail again, I'd love to see it dusted in snow. How many days did you take for your ascent? And what was the people traffic like during that season?