The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HorserloverFat

The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

Post by HorserloverFat »

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/06/2 ... de-to-edc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Deacon

Re: The Art of Everyday Carry : A Beginner's Guide to EDC

Post by The Deacon »

Excellent article, even though it confirms my suspicions that I am not a "manly" man.

My EDC does not include a cell phone, smart or otherwise.

I do carry a wallet, but just out of force of habit. For all but two or three days a year I could get away with a rubber band around my drivers license, my CWP, and my debit card.

My keyring has been pared down to three sub-rings. one containing a house key and an alarm system gadget, another containing my car key and a couple mini "rewards cards", and a third containing a small single bladed knife (Jester). Closest thing to a mini-prybar that I've ever carried was the 12" Stanley Wonder-Bar I kept in my shoulder bag in case I got stuck in an elevator again at work.

I do carry a knife, or more correctly knives. Generally a Stretch, a Kiwi, and an Ultratech.

There's a flashlight in my car, another in the garage, and several in the house, but I only carry one on my person when walking the dog before sunrise or after sunset, since those are the only times I'm outdoors and on foot after dark.

I do own a multi tool, but never carry it on my person. It use to sit in my desk at work and actually came in handy once, when one of my co-workers needed to do a little B&E on their locked desk. Since I retired, it's been in the glove box of whatever vehicle I owned at the time.

Unless I'm going somewhere to do something I know will require a signature, I don't carry a pen. Besides, last time I used my own pen to sign something, I messed up the **** touchscreen. As with the flashlight and multi-tool, I do keep one in my car.

I've only worn a watch about a dozen of times in the last 25 years, and can't recall the last time I actually consulting it.

OTOH, if I'm going further than my mailbox there's almost always a handgun somewhere on my person and if I'm walking the dog there's also pepper spray.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Don't get me started!!! LOL....Doc:)
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Don't get me started!!! LOL....Doc:)
https://youtu.be/SGyOaCXr8Lw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I think we view this very similarly, Paul.
The Deacon wrote:Excellent article, even though it confirms my suspicions that I am not a "manly" man.
Or too manly for all this stuff? Haha
The Deacon wrote:My EDC does not include a cell phone, smart or otherwise.
I carry a nonsmart in my car. Powered off until I might need it.
The Deacon wrote: I do carry a knife, or more correctly knives. Generally a Stretch, a Kiwi, and an Ultratech.
Balance, Memory and Jester on the keys..
The Deacon wrote:There's a flashlight in my car, another in the garage, and several in the house,

Okay, I do carry a small 16340 powered light. It's super small, very bright and I use it 20 times a day just around the house, for all sorts of random stuff (looking for backs off my wife's earrings, reading DVD covers, looking under couches for - well - whatever)
The Deacon wrote:I've only worn a watch about a dozen of times in the last 25 years, and can't recall the last time I actually consulting it
Here we differ. Probably a lot like you(?) I don't even care what time it is 99.995% of the time. But I wear a GShock 24/7 for the baro function. I watch the weather a lot and check my G 5-6 times a day.

Ken
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like to be prepared for what I might encounter.
Like many guys, I like to fool around with gadgets and "guy" stuff.
I usually carry more stuff than I need daily, but frequently I manage to use the stuff that I carry:

pens
flashlight
cellphone
folding knife
keys
wallet
reading glasses
frequently I carry a small second knife
on some occasions I carry a multitool
Surprisingly to me I use the flashlight more than I use the multitool
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Interesting article, but no mention of firearms.

When I retired I let the battery run down in my Luminox watch. I also have a Rolex I received for working 20 years for Bechtel, it's still NIB in a safe deposit box. I never liked wearing anything on my wrist of fingers. I have minimal leather wallet that holds just the cards and identification I need and includes a money clip. No family photos, I never liked the idea of my loved one's images resting under my butt-cheek. :D Two set of keys, one for my vehicle and one for house keys, a small SAK and a tiny flashlight. My second knife is a Superblue Endura unless I am carrying a pocket pistol, then it's a yellow Tasman salt.

In a shirt pocket I carry a smart phone that is the camera I always have and a fair flashlight in an emergency, no app required. The phone is also my note pad, no pen required. The phone is also an excellent watch and alarm. If I anticipate needing a pen I will carry a Mathew Martin CF and Ti click pen.

I do have several spare flashlights and a seat belt cutting in my truck. I also have a basic tool kit there.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
springnr

Post by springnr »

The Deacon wrote: I do carry a wallet, but just out of force of habit. For all but two or three days a year I could get away with a rubber band around my drivers license, my CWP, and my debit card.
My son gave me a Machine Era Wallet last year that I really like, slip it in my pocket when leaving the house.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Unlike Paul and some others here :p I have a need to carry stuff with me. They say a Picture is worth a Thousand words....so here are some pics of my EDC from TODAY!. Mind you it's summertime so I'm carrying light. And in case your were wondering, No.....I never go near any bodies of water....ever!....Enjoy Doc:)
and some close ups :eek:

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Nice to see I'm not the only one who regularly subscribes to The Art Of Manliness. It's a good site.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sweet mercy, Doc! :eek: Man, you'd likely need extra reinforced suspenders to keep your trousers from falling down with all that stuff. :p
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

SpyderNut wrote:Sweet mercy, Doc! :eek: Man, you'd likely need extra reinforced suspenders to keep your trousers from falling down with all that stuff. :p
LOL...all that stuff in my waistband holds my pants up! (suggestion buy pant size two sizes larger) Oh...I got a new belt this week :) ....I should be fine. the last one held up for 35 years......Doc:)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Dont worry Doc your not alone.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

farnorthdan wrote:Dont worry Doc your not alone.
Yeah that's what I'm talkin bout....you got the spirit!!!!...Doc ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I carry more at work than I do off work. Maybe I'll do a pocket dump later and take some pics.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Glad to see your EDC is as comprehensive as ever doc. :D
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Unlike Paul and some others here :p I have a need to carry stuff with me. They say a Picture is worth a Thousand words....so here are some pics of my EDC from TODAY!. Mind you it's summertime so I'm carrying light. And in case your were wondering, No.....I never go near any bodies of water....ever!....Enjoy Doc:)
and some close ups :eek:

skatenut

Post by skatenut »

@ Dr. Snubnose:

Good to see you're still carrying enough steel to give any metal detector a severe case of overload if you come close enough! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here are a few of my pocket dump photos. I love being prepared!

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Here is a slide I made up quite a while back to show someone how prepared you could actually be if you just put a little forethought into it. This is an old pic but my carry is basically the same I just change the way I carry everything a little now and then. I could get lost in the woods with nothing but what is on my person and would do just fine.

:D

-Darby