Victorinox Swiss Army knifes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hanowa

Victorinox Swiss Army knifes

Post by Hanowa »

What do you think about Victorinox Swiss Army knives? Where can I buy original online? :cool:
The Deacon

Re: Victorinox Swiss Army knifes

Post by The Deacon »

Steel is mediorcre, but a lot of folks like the idea of having a bunch of gadgets all in one place. I can't recall ever carrying one myself, but I've given a few as gifts to folks who aren't really knife enthusiasts. I' sure a lot of reputable dealers carry Victorinox, and I know for sure that favorite dealer, New Graham Knives does.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
stumpthumper

Post by stumpthumper »

I really like Swiss Army knives and have an ever expanding collection of alox patterns. Outstanding quality that is very consistent throughout their entire line. No you don't get "super steels" but their blades hold a good edge with light duty use and are very easy to get hair popping sharp. If you looking for your first Swiss knife and have an eBay account star there, it's easy to find a new or nearly new one at a great price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just keep in mind that eBay is a minefield. You can often find legitimate knives at good prices, but there are also legitimate ones at inflated prices and a large number of fakes varying in quality from "only an idiot would fall for that" to "able to fool at least some experts".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I like them a lot and have a bunch of them.
I grew up with these knives and they are kinda traditional over here. If you CAN find someone over here that's carrying a knife, 98% of the time it will be a SAK of some sort (or a knock off :eek: )

Heck, during my mandadory military service we were issued with a SAK (alox Pioneer)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like Swiss Army TOOLS. I have three, an Alox Cadet (very nice), a Recruit, and an Evolution S111 (liner lock). jdavis did a test, if I recall correctly, where the SAT did very well and out cut some "super steels". Also, they are acceptable where a lot of other knives are not.

O yeah, I get all of mine from knifeworks.com.

Swiss Bianco will provide some unusual versions. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... wissBianco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are several custom makers, too. I do not know anything about this one. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... y-examples" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

One vote more for SAK's; if you want superduper blade steel, you are wrong, but if you want more use from your pocketknife besides cutting tasks, SAK's are well worthy companions. I for my person am falling more and more in love with SAK's.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Swiss Bianco also came to mind first, I've visited their site a couple times, seems they often have some of the more sought out models but they seem a little pricey.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

When I was at the Amsterdam meet, Eric showed us a few multi bladed spyderco models. They were quite far from being production worthy, but he mentioned how much more difficult it was to design a multi bladed/tooled folder, and how impressed he was with the quality, consistency, and price of the humble SAK.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you need a tough steel that has excellent corrosion resistance and is very easy to sharpen, they have it. I have a couple of their knives, but I really love their multi tools. The Spirit is the best EDC multi tool you can get in my opinion.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is a good cut test video.
https://youtu.be/peO0akVMNbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

They're nice and useful.

If you want a better steel, G Sakai makes a SAK style knife with a ZDP blade.

http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/prod ... uct_id=133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/prod ... uct_id=134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

I carry a Victorinox Rambler every day. Love that little thing. Ebay has a plethora of Victorinox's.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I keep an Executive in my pocket and a Super Tinker in my bag/briefcase. Very handy in an office setting.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a SAK everyday. They are affordable, high quality and the knife blades are ground nice and thin so they cut very well. Soft steel is about the only downside to me. I like the larger models and EDC a craftsman in my back pocket with a dangler.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
harronek

Post by harronek »

Alox Farmer and GB has been a partnership at work now for a few weeks , great combo .

Ken
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I hope this isn't too far off the main subject matter but for a long time I've loved the VICTORINOX SWISS TOOL X which is one of the high end multi-tools and I like it better than any other multi-tool I've ever owned. I also own a few of the VICTORINOX Swiss Army Knives as well as a couple of their grafting knives. I've never ever been disappointed with any of VICTORINOX products and I do believe that they give you a great product for the price.

Sure Spyderco, Benchmade, Al Mar and Boker have higher quality no question or argument about that>> but anyone who asks me what knife to buy on a limited budget I always pretty much recommend a VICTORINOX SAK>> we have a local ACE hardware that has a huge selection of them. A few years back I got some of them from a friend who was living in Germany at the time and the stuff he sold me you couldn't get it here in the USA at that time. Just make sure they are truly SWISS made because I'm sure they have a cheaper line like most other companies.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:They're nice and useful.

If you want a better steel, G Sakai makes a SAK style knife with a ZDP blade.

http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/prod ... uct_id=133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gsi-japan.com/shop/html/prod ... uct_id=134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm....I wonder if this blade can be swapped into a SAK? Those two don't have the tool layouts that I would need to even bother carrying a SAK over any of my Spydercos. I really wonder if that blade could be modified to fit my Spirit...
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are some Swiss Army Knife Modders on EDC Forums. I wonder if they would know.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I PM'd the guy that I've seen the most SAK mods from, he says he doesn't see why the blade swap wouldn't work... IF the pivot has the same profile.

He says he ordered some 154CM with plans to make blades, but he's working on a bunch of other stuff and doesn't know when he'll have time to finish them.

I will see if I can follow his progress on that.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.